I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:27:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Proceeds from event go toward employee's kidney transplant costs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Proceeds from event go toward employee's kidney transplant costs  (Read 1326 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 11, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »

Proceeds from event go toward employee's kidney transplant costs

By MARIANN MARTIN
mmartin10@jacksonsun.com
• July 11, 2008

Ronnie Merriweather spends four hours a day, three days a week on a kidney dialysis machine, but he insists he is a lucky man.

"I am blessed that this happened to me when I was young," said 33-year-old Merriweather. "So many of the people I see at dialysis are older and have a lot of health problems. I'm still healthy and able to do something about it."

Merriweather, who graduated from North Side High School and works as a chef at T.J. Mulligans, had a flu virus in 2000 that caused kidney failure. He recovered from the illness and seemed to be doing fine. But a year ago, he went to the hospital when he contracted the flu again. There, doctors told him his kidneys were failing and he would need to go on dialysis.

"It's been kind of rough," Merriweather said, sitting on a couch in his apartment, where he lives with his twin brother, Randy.

He feels a lot better since he has been on dialysis, he said.

"It does change the way you feel about life, but it really doesn't bother me that much. I just try to stay going and do things so I don't get depressed."

Merriweather will need to be on dialysis the rest of his life, unless he has a kidney transplant. But the tests and blood work simply to be placed on a donor list cost $4,000 - money Merriweather does not have and health insurance doesn't cover.

So, Merriweather's co-workers at T. J. Mulligans decided to host the 10th annual Mullipalooza, with all proceeds going to help Merriweather with transplant expenses.

"We always pick a charity to donate the money," said Damien Person, a front-of-house manager at Mulligans and one of the organizers for the event. "This year we decided there was no better way than to help one of our own."

The Mullipalooza includes live bands tonight, and bands inside and outside in the parking lot on Saturday. A silent auction on Saturday has jewelry, cookware, gift certificates, retail packages and more. On Sunday, events include Bar Olympics with local restaurants participating and barbecue all day long.

"Everybody on the staff has pitched in and helped out," said Person. "And the community has been wonderful as well."

People in Jackson are always willing to help out for a good cause, he said.

"Ronnie is such a great guy, mild-mannered and easygoing. We just want everyone to come out, have fun and help us help out our friend."

In addition to the money needed to get Merriweather on the donation list, his insurance will only cover part of the $250,000 operation and the medicine he needs after the transplant. He will also be off work for six months and will need money for rent and food.

Right now, Merriweather is focused on staying in good health and making sure he will be able to do the transplant as soon as possible.

"They won't do the transplant unless I am taking care of myself and stay healthy," Merriweather said. "So I watch what I eat, and I've been losing weight."

Merriweather's sister, Lashunda Gause, wants to give one of her kidneys to him if she is a match. If she's not, he will be placed on a transplant list and wait until a kidney is available.

"He's my brother, and I'd do anything to help him live," said Gause, 34, of Jackson. "Ronnie is the kind of person who will help anyone, and we've always been there for each other."

Gause said they are also planning other fundraising events in the future, and she will be advertising them as plans become more concrete.

"His motto right now is just to live each day to the fullest because he doesn't know when it will be his last," Gause said. "Everybody is praying that everything will go through and he will be better."

Visit jacksonsun.com and share your thoughts.

- Mariann Martin, (731) 425-9782

To help

The National Foundation for Transplants is helping to raise funds for Merriweather's medical needs. You can also make a tax-deductible donation to the NFT Tennessee Kidney Fund, PO Box 3502, Jackson, TN 38303 with Ronnie Merriweather written on the memo line. Online donations can be made at www.transplants.org.

For additional fundraising activities, call Lashunda Gause at 660-0240 or 267-8357.

If you go

The Mullipalooza at T.J. Mulligans includes various events this weekend with all proceeds going to the National Foundation for Transplants to benefit Ronnie Merriweather. The silent auction is Saturday from 5 to 9:30 p.m. Admission fees are $5 for attendees 21 and older and $10 for attendees younger than 21. On Sunday, registration for Bar Olympics begins at 1 p.m., and the games begin at 3 p.m. Barbecue will be available all day. For more information, call Damien or Heather at 660-6595.

http://jacksonsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/NEWS01/807110306

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »