I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:43:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Grapf issues...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grapf issues...  (Read 4688 times)
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« on: September 04, 2006, 09:11:55 AM »

???I have only been on dialysis for 2 1/2 months. Fistulas and grafts in both arms failed and a graft was finally placed successfully in my rt. leg. The problem being that I have had one aneurysm in my groin, and now another has appeared last night. This time the size of 2 eggs. Surgery was required to correct the last and I will see the doctor tomorrow about this one. Every time the nurses stick me they have problems. How on Gods green earth can they miss a large tubing??? But each time I clot and end up with several sticks. often infiltrations. My leg is so tender from infiltrations and tight from fluid it makes it unbearable. Even with using the Lidocain cream. I know this access has to last me for awhile, and there is only one other option which is my other leg.Am I right? It it normal to have these problems?Where are these clots coming from? And why am I having these Aneurysms? Is all this typical? I am making arrangements to change centers, as I believe some of the problems are lack of knowledge and inability on the staffs part. Can I be taught to stick myself? I am a nurse and feel I can, But want to know More before I begin. I want to be in charge of my own self. Is this a mistake since I am new? Thanks for any and all answers.  ::)Sassy
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:59:14 AM »

I know that Epoman sticks himself, and I believe there are several others who do as well.  I think they are using their arms, but I can't see why you couldn't do your leg too.  Might actually be a little easier since you have 2 hands to use?? 

Joe's fistula was clotting quite a bit and his vascular surgeon felt it may have to do with infiltrations.  I believe they've been sticking him ok now, and he hasn't had another clot in several weeks (knock on wood!). 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 01:29:35 PM »

Sassy, i know i have asked this before (or have i?) :)  But is there a reason you cannot go on PD?

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 02:39:20 PM »

Sorry, I did not realize I had repeated a question. I'll watch that.  :o I am living at my son's home right now and the space is somewhat cramped. Not that I am complaining. I am grateful for their help. But with 3 lil grand children running around the privacy is not available. and my daughter in law prefers not to have to assist. That leaves me alone. So, I have to go to the center for now. My son is presently looking for a larger home to better accommodate me. Bless his heart. The last thing I want to be is a burden to anyone. Sometimes I feel like I am.  :-\Sassy
Panda_9

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »

By all means you should be able to cannulate yourself. And giving that you would have 2 hands free to use might make it a whole lot easier. Not that its all that difficult cannulating your own arm. I am a nurse too (never worked though), and I have cannulated myself almost from the start.
If hemo is really becoming I problem you could consider PD, although you do need a little room. I assume you have your own bedroom? When I was on PD I lived in a one bedroom flat (converted double garage) which was very small. I still managed though. I had deliveries more frequently (every 2 weeks), so I didnt have to store so much. It was cramped, but it was do-able. Basically I had all the boxes stacked up on one wall of the bedroom. I used my small chest of draws to set up the bags, which was more than ample. Once hooked up I either sat in the bedroom or loungeroom with the bag hung on a nail in the wall. The good thing about PD is you really dont need any help. The delivery guy is paid to put the boxes where you request, so theres no need for lifting. To empty any used bags I just tipped them down the toilet. I know I always say it but if I could I would prefer to be doing PD rather than hemo. It is so much less stressful and not so restrictive.
John S.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 10:30:39 AM »

Sassy...One thing to look for is to make sure the techs ( or you if you decide to stick ) are rotating needle sites. This is of the utmost importance.

Also, when you get to know your graft well, do not be afraid to tell the tech if it's deep, shallow, needle straight in, needle on angle. Whatever you feel, make sure to communicate this.

I stick myself on occasion when i feel like it, and the pain to me id 100% less.

john >:D
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 12:22:05 AM »

???I have only been on dialysis for 2 1/2 months. Fistulas and grafts in both arms failed and a graft was finally placed successfully in my rt. leg. The problem being that I have had one aneurysm in my groin, and now another has appeared last night. This time the size of 2 eggs. Surgery was required to correct the last and I will see the doctor tomorrow about this one. Every time the nurses stick me they have problems. How on Gods green earth can they miss a large tubing??? But each time I clot and end up with several sticks. often infiltrations. My leg is so tender from infiltrations and tight from fluid it makes it unbearable. Even with using the Lidocain cream. I know this access has to last me for awhile, and there is only one other option which is my other leg.Am I right? It it normal to have these problems?Where are these clots coming from? And why am I having these Aneurysms? Is all this typical? I am making arrangements to change centers, as I believe some of the problems are lack of knowledge and inability on the staffs part. Can I be taught to stick myself? I am a nurse and feel I can, But want to know More before I begin. I want to be in charge of my own self. Is this a mistake since I am new? Thanks for any and all answers.  ::)Sassy

YES INDEED you can learn to stick yourself. And once you do, you will never let ANYONE stick you again. The graft is in your leg so it should be very easy for you as you will have use of BOTH hands. When you stick yourself you will know exactly when your "in" and it also gives you a feeling of "taking charge" in your treatment. It's a graft so it's not to new, if you had a new fistula I would say wait until it matures but it is a graft so it should be an easy stick. Just try it once, and keep us updated.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 09:28:09 AM »

Every time the nurses stick me they have problems. How on Gods green earth can they miss a large tubing???Sassy

You know what they say.  If you don't like the way something is done, do it yourself. ;)

BTW I have a pretty big  fistula and have missed it before a time or two.  I also wonder how the heck I could have missed it. :D
AlasdairUK

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 07:46:40 AM »

Hi RedHead Angel,

I know another patient who had a graph in his leg and he had to use Lidocain injections as he said the pain was far worse than when it was in his arm.

I hope you get it sorted as the last thing we need is to be in pain while trying to have dialysis.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »