I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 12:33:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A date with the machine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A date with the machine  (Read 2443 times)
devon

« on: June 23, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

At my most recent visit to the neph, we set a date to begin dialysis, August 15th (or thereabouts).  He wanted July 1st. I wanted September 1st so we compromised. 

I'll be getting labs this week and praying my creatinine is stable or better.  But if it's still escalating, August can't come soon enough.

Interesting. Doc said first couple dialysis sessions will be in the hospital rather than clinic because it's safer that way.  Any of y'all do it that way? I just assumed the sessions would start in clinic. Strange. But I do what they tell me to do.

-Devon
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »

I had my first two dialysis sesssions in the hospital. I was admitted, had 2 hours of dialysis that day, stayed overnight, and then had another 2 hours the next morning. After a few hours I went home. The doctor said the same thing... Safer in the hospital the first time. Something about the meds they give you the first time causing swelling in the brain.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:06:51 PM »

I had my first sessions in the center. I started at 2 hrs. and gradually increased to 3.5. They also started me with a 17 gauge needle and gradually increased to 15.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Marley

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »

hi Devon 

When my man started his dialysis almost 3 years ago,he was in clinic and not hospital.  I have no idea why your neph set it up that way.  If I were you I would call and ask  why, just to put your mind at ease.

I wish you good luck and much peace as you begin your treatments.   :cuddle; 

Peace
Marley   :guitar:

Marley
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »

My husband has his first 4 sessions in the hospital after having a double nephrectomy.  He had some problems, like blood pressure dropping very low during dialysis and I was glad that he was being closely monitored.  Maybe his experience was because of his condition after surgery.  Is there a downside to being in the hospital?  I imagine that you will be monitored more closely in the hospital and that would allow them to more quickly detect an allergic reaction or any other issues.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:44:44 AM »

I'm in Canada so I know things are somewhat different but I dialyzed at the hospital for the first two weeks.  I was told that it was to make sure that everything was medically stable because the hospital has doctors right there all the time and all facilities in case of emergency.  I went from hospital to a self-care clinic that is staffed by RNs but I only see the doctor once a month although if anything comes up it can be more often than that.

However, we don't have private clinics like you do in the US.  My clinic is a satellite site of four Toronto hospitals.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:06:27 AM »

my fisula was mature and my first dialysis was in the hospital as an out patient
it was my choice--- hospital or clinic
I started with 4 hours and am still on 4 hours
devon

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »

Thanks Y'all for the input!  It's very helpful.  It makes sense to have the first session in the hospital.  I'm sure all my meds will have to be adjusted and that adjustment phase could be very disruptive.

Thanks again.

BTW... today, for the first time, I'm having that nauseous feeling that the doc said to watch out for.  Not very pleasant.  Also, a "foggy-headedness", if you know what I mean.  I can usually type very well --- been doing it for 30+ years --- but right now my fingers don't seem to go where they should. Lots of backspacing! Strange.  I'm not sure I like this!   :( 

Oh well, one day at a time. It's all an experience and a road I have to walk down.  Thanks for the company y'all.

-Devon
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 11:09:16 AM »

Devon,
Dustin had his first diaysis treatments at the hospital. His was and emergency permcath. His other DR had waited too long and then by the time Dr Bloom got him his creatinine and Bun were high. After a few times at the hospital Dustin was released and he went to Fresenius in Indianapolis.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Lori/Indiana
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »

My numbers were really bad and I had to get a perma cath in (a long story) but even then I had first time in center.. I started 3.5 hrs and still on 3.5hrs .. I do still have low bp (but always did) it is just worse after dialysis but I just have to drink 1/2hr prior to finishing treatment. As for the meds I dont get anything new that I wasnt getting already so maybe that is why ..ARe you already on meds or are they going to give you new ones..
I was given the choice if I wanted to have first time in hospital but I declined...
Best of luck to you..
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:27 PM »

On a Friday they told Jenna to think about what kind of dialysis she wanted to do - needing to start in 2 - 3 months. Two days later she was in the hospital getting an emergency tunnel catheter. After 2 days of dialysis in the hospital she came home, began in-center 2 days later.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »