I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 04:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Working in the heat with CKD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Working in the heat with CKD  (Read 2318 times)
skuch65

« on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »

Hello stage 4 CKD.  I work outside in the heat.  It makes me very tired doing this it's like walking in the sand trying to catch my breath.  Walking up hills/strairs just kills me I go home at night totally beat.  Any ideas to help survive in the heat ? thanks
keith

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:42:11 PM »

drink alot and take breaks and if by chance u can get a job inside go 4-it

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:11:05 AM »

I would say ..DONT drink alot it will only add to your breathlessness , you will end up swollen and overloaded with fluid. Although the heat will not help ,chances are your tiredness and trying to catch your breath are more to do with kidney failure than the heat ,as they are classic symptoms. It might be time to go back to your doctor and maybe give up work now? If you cant give up work or change jobs then try staying in the shade , sucking ice and having one of those cooling mist sprays you could spray your face with to cool you down , but dont start drinking loads it wont help your condition.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Loretta

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:11:58 PM »

Working in the heat while not feeling well for any reason is tough.  Make sure not to drink more than your kidneys are able to output.  Ice is a good idea.  It will cool you down with less work on the kidneys.

Giving up work was the hardest part of this disease for me.

Wishing you health!
Loretta
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »

Since you are pre-dialysis, like me, you need to stay hydrated in the heat. My renal doctor advises me to drink at least 6 glasses of water (the tall ones) a day.
When it is hot you will swell up more and that is because of reduced kidney function, but not drinking enough water will only make you sicker. It might be time
for your doctor to either place you on reduced work, or place you on different kind of work that isn't as hard on your body. This requires a disability slip from
the doctor and depending on the kind of work benefits coverage you have, your employee is required by law to accommodate you. That means the employer either
reduces your hours or reassigns you to a job you can do. Disability coverage through your employer is supposed to make up the salary difference. Some people
on renal disability collect $ from Social Security. It all depends on the coverage you have with your employer and whether you have been employed long enough.
You really shouldn't be beating yourself up trying to work a job that's not within your abilities anymore. You need to take care of yourself.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 02:32:11 PM »

When I'm working out in the heat I usually do the energy drinks (Red Bull, Amp, etc.). It works for me.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »