I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:55:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Started dialysis today
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Started dialysis today  (Read 3779 times)
7piglets

Me and the boys

« on: June 09, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »

So I first need to say thank you so much for everyone who has been so wonderful in answering all my questions. I dont know how I would do this if I never found you all..:)
So went into today for my first treatment and I can officially say I HATE dialysis... I felt like cattle. Everyone was nice dont get me wrong but just the process I hate.. they should have entertainment come in while you sit there LOL  I was just very impersonal. I even started questioning the meds they kept going to give me and glad I did because I was going to get double doses of meds. .I was taking meds at home and they were giving me more. .such as Aranesp, Zemplar .. I dont think they look at us as individuals and that scares me ..that leaves room for errors.
I was suppose to be there for 3.5hrs when it was time to leave I got up and thought I was going to pass out my bp dropped to 88 over 43 I had to wait another 1/2hr and they gave me broth to try and get bp up..stilll same ..then they realized to try and weigh me and seems they said too much fluid came out I was 63.4 (Ok yes clueless not sure how much that is LOL) and after i was 60.1 they seemed very concerned and had put more solution into me ..I have headache now but no muscle cramps yeah.. I am sure I will do fine I am just feeling sorry for myself..thanks again
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »

I'm sorry your first trip was so rough. Mine was easy because they started me at 2 hours and gradually added the time until I reached 3.5. Most centers have TV and wireless internet to keep you busy. Your BP drop was because they took off too much fluid. Don't let them mistreat you.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
keith

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:04:36 PM »

sorry to hear about ur bad day  but look at it like this u can come here and we can try and help you get pass the tough times and look forward to the happy ones

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:39:24 AM »

Sounds like a rough start but hang in there and make sure that you monitor things yourself and keep on top of what they do with your machine settings.  Now you know the feeling of "crashing" with the low BP, make sure you check your BP regularly in order to catch it before the crash.  Ask them to show you how to do that in between checks.  Ask about every single thing they do so you can know as much as possible about your runs.  What pump speed did they run you at to start with?

Sending you hugs.
Gail

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »

Maybe next time will be better. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
st789

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »

Find things to do that can occupy you and think positive.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:26:14 PM »

MOOOOO!   

Well I am of to dialysis now!  Moooooooooo!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

I'm sorry you crashed...the dry weight issue is a tricky one to start out...have them take less off and see how you're feeling.

The cattle feeling is also tricky...they have to take care of a lot of people since there are more and more of us needing dialysis. It's tough for everyone involved.

We're always here for you...keep posting!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »

gidday 7 piglets,

all  dialysis  patients  have  what  is  called  an  ideal  base  weight,  anything above  this  is  what  should  be  removed  each  run,  try  keep  your  fluid  intake  to  a  minimum(yeah  right :urcrazy;)
as mentioned  above take  an  interest  in  what  happens  at  dx ,ask  questions,my  motto  is  "information  is  power"
if  your  cramping  or  headaches  its  probably  due  to  too much  fluid  being  removed.
for  the  first  week  or  2  dx  will  feel  yucky  but  should  get  better  as  time  goes  on
good  luck  with  it  all :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

thanks everyone..
I went to dr today and he said they will just clean the blood but not take anything off. I am also off of bp pills thank goodness but i didnt take them today anyway and all day I still feel lightheaded and at one point thought I was going to pass out and throw up. I hope this is just tweeking everything and soon enough things will start going smoothly. Take 2 tomorrow hopefully will be a breeze ..thanks again
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 02:23:25 PM »

I will be thinking about you! I went and visited my son a few weeks ago then was called yday to go get him due to a migraine. You will learn what your "dry weight" is. Dustin knows exactly what they should be taking off. You can learn so much from all these wonderful people on here. I can only give you support since I am a caregiver. Read everything you can and soak it in like a sponge.
Lori/Indiana
Razman

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »

Thanks for staying in touch and letting us know how you are doing.  I'm getting closer to  "that day"   so I want to know everything.    I hope it gets easier for you ( if that is even possible)
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »

Another thing that will help is to ask them to hook you "straight up". By doing this you will start receiving saline as soon as the blood starts pulling through the machine.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 03:31:26 PM »

Hopefully you and the center will quickly learn what's best for you.  This is certainly a great place to find support, experience and wisdom.  I hope that you start feeling better soon. :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »