I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 03:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I'm soooo tired lately!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm soooo tired lately!  (Read 2653 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: May 30, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »

I know tiredness is one of the symptoms of people in kidney failure before going on dialysis. My question is, is it like an exhaustion type of tired (like when you work too hard) or a sleepy kind of tired? Lately, I've been soooo tired. I sleep for 8 hours, get up and move around for a while, feeding the dogs, reading the paper, etc., but then I feel extremely sleepy and have to go back to sleep for a few hours. The last couple of days I've felt like a zombie.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:48:51 PM »

i'd  suggest  the  tiredness  is  telling  you  its  time  for  dialysis,get  your  labs  done  and  see  what  the  dr s  reckon,  it  also  could  be  that  you  are  over  exerting  your  self  more  than  usual.
listen  to  your  body

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:56:58 PM »

I agree with Ang. I was that way before my transplant. I could sleep all the time.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 07:12:22 PM »

ditto

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:22:23 PM »

It is unbelievable how "tired" you can be... but I did find that I got "better" once I started dialysis.   I was still "tired" but not in the very inside core of me like I was before dialysis.

P.S. I always hated using the word tiredto describe it, it never seemed to relay just how tired I was... maybe we need to come up with a new word

http://www.kimhoben.com
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »

I call it "walking under water" tired.  Every step feels like it takes more effort than it should.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:27:55 PM »

Check your latest numbers with your next blood draw and see if there is a significant difference.
If you are losing more kidney function, then I can see why you are feeling more tired. The blood draw should also let
you know your latest red blood cell information regarding any anemia problems. I understand about the tired feeling
you are having. I hope it gets a little better for you soon.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Jill D.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:24:51 PM »

I referred to it as a "constant fatigue behind my eyeballs that affected my brain".

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 04:45:57 AM »

Thats it Jill!  that is exactly it

I referred to it as a "constant fatigue behind my eyeballs that affected my brain".

http://www.kimhoben.com
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 05:08:23 AM »

For me it was both wanting to sleep all the time (not always able to though) + feeling like even taking one step or washing one dish was too much.  If I had to make my own food I'd lay there till my stomach was hurting to avoid getting up and moving.  Beyond tired, more like the walking dead.  No moving, just feeling like puking.

I'm quite a bit better since dialysis started but still not great.  Only had five treatments so far and only the last one was a full four hours.  My numbers weren't horrific either.  Creatinine was around 3. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 06:51:25 AM »

Other than the sleepiness, I feel fine. No nausea or vomiting, itching, bad taste in my mouth, etc. I guess I should make an appointment with my neph. Since my labs have been stable for the last 3 years (actually my GFR has been been increasing by 1% about every 6 months), he said he only needs to see me every 6 months. It's abut that time anyway I think.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »

I vacuumed my house today and was exhausted from it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 12:09:37 AM »

with me it was because i was so anemic, i couldn't keep my eyes open for more than 15 minutes at a time.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
devon

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 07:42:34 AM »

Thanks for bringing this up, paddbear.  It helps me answer the questions in my own head and those posed to me by my boss.  He seems offended that I get drowsey in meetings especially after 90 minutes or so.  He suggested it was sleep apnea for which I'm being treated.  I will try to explain to him that it's much more than that.  For people outside ESRD, it's hard to understand.  We need to keep educating them as well as ourselves.

-Devon
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »

Other than the sleepiness, I feel fine. No nausea or vomiting, itching, bad taste in my mouth, etc. I guess I should make an appointment with my neph. Since my labs have been stable for the last 3 years (actually my GFR has been been increasing by 1% about every 6 months), he said he only needs to see me every 6 months. It's abut that time anyway I think.

Our disease is sooooo simular!  Fatigue is my only symptom, as well.  The other night I thought I smelled the "amonia" breath, but I don't have it now.   I also feel extremely tired, but can't always sleep.  It's more of my body that is tired and not my brain.

I have a scheduled lab draw on Friday (renal panel and CBC).  My last lab showed an extreme change from the lab that was drawn just two weeks prior.  I'm hoping it was a bad draw.  When I had my appointment with my neph on the 15th my GFR was 6 and my phos and potassium were well within range.  One week later my GFR was showing 8 and the nurse said my phosphorus was 8+.  I don't feel any different.  I'm taking my Tums with every meal.  She also said my calcium was high.  Hopefully the draw on the 6th will show differently.

Do what you can and rest when you need to.  Definitely call your neph and get some labs done.  Good Luck!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »

I am confused... I thought you're not supposed to use Tums if your calcium is high?

Each tablet of Regular Strength TUMSŪ contains 500 mg of calcium carbonate/tablet
(equivalent to 200 mg of elemental calcium).

Each tablet of Extra Strength TUMSŪ contains 750 mg of calcium carbonate/tablet
(equivalent to 300 mg of elemental calcium).

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »

This is the first time I've been told my Calcium is too high.  That is one of the reason's I'm thinking it was a "bad draw".

Some time last year, or maybe even 2006, I got a call from my nephrologist personally asking me how I was feeling.  I said fine.  He said he was concerned because my potassium was showing to be at a "deadly level".  We re-did the labs and it was normal.  Apparenlty, a bad draw (per my nephrologist).  I'm thinking this last draw was also bad.  Not sure.

When the nurse called me with the results of my last lab, she did not tell me to stop any of my meds, including my Tums.  She just told me they wanted to draw my labs a few times.  We decided on the 6th and 24th.

I'll call the nurse and ask.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »