I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Authorities investigate after spike in Lufkin dialysis deaths
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Authorities investigate after spike in Lufkin dialysis deaths  (Read 3934 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 30, 2008, 11:30:44 PM »

Authorities investigate after spike in Lufkin dialysis deaths

Modified: April 30, 2008 06:13 PM

LUFKIN, Texas (AP) -- State and local authorities are investigating after a dialysis center reported a "spike" in deaths and life-threatening complications in the past month.

The Lufkin DaVita Dialysis Center voluntarily closed Monday night.

The Texas Department of State Health Services and Lufkin police are investigating the deaths and complications over a 30-day period. Authorities would not disclose the number of deaths in the past month.

Lufkin police Lt. David Young said that at this point there aren't any signs of criminal activity. He said the investigation includes processes, personnel and equipment.

An official with California-based DaVita said today it would be irresponsible to speculate beyond the facts they have.

Stephanie Horn said DaVita will remain focused on its patients and the care they need.

DaVita has more than 1,300 outpatient facilities across the United States.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Authorities-investigate-after-spike-in-Lufkin-dialysis-deaths-11519/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »

Employee fired amid review of Lufkin dialysis deaths

Associated Press - May 16, 2008 4:05 PM ET

LUFKIN, Texas (AP) - A company that operated a dialysis center in Lufkin has fired an employee during the review of a spike in deaths and life-threatening complications.

DaVita Lufkin Dialysis spokesman Michael Chee told KETK-TV on Friday that company officials believe the incidents were the result of what he calls a "criminal act" by an individual.

Chee says the person, whose name was not released, has been terminated.

Chee says center officials are cooperating with Lufkin police in the investigation.

The dialysis center voluntarily closed in late April as the Department of State Health Services and the police investigated deaths and complications over a 30-day period.

Police have declined to release the number of deaths.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=8337152

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »

State officials conclude DaVita investigation
Report to be released in next few weeks; Centers for Disease Control and Lufkin Police continuing their investigations

By JESSICA SAVAGE
The Lufkin Daily News

Thursday, May 15, 2008

State health officials have concluded their investigation into DaVita Lufkin Dialysis following a recent spike in patient deaths, a state spokeswoman said Wednesday.

A report put together by investigators with the Texas Department of State Health Services is expected to be released in the next few weeks, said Carrie Williams, an assistant press officer for DSHS.

Meanwhile, investigators with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Lufkin Police Department are continuing to compile information from interviews with patients, patient history reports and pending lab test results, said Sharon Shaw, administrator of Angelina County and Cities Health District.

No date has been set on when the center will reopen. A call to a DaVita spokesman Wednesday was not immediately returned.

The center at 700 S. John Redditt Drive temporarily closed its doors April 28 after contacting state health officials and LPD about a recent spike in patient deaths and life-threatening complications.

"It is not known at this time what may have caused the unexpected deaths and complications, but no evidence of criminal activity has been found," LPD spokesman Lt. David Young said in a previous report.

The number of patient deaths has not been released.

DaVita, Inc., is a nationwide kidney care service company that serves more than 100,000 patients in 43 states at its more than 1,300 outpatient facilities, according to the company.

More than 120 patients have been sent from the Lufkin center for care at surrounding facilities to which they are being bused at the company's expense, said DaVita spokesman Michael Chee in a previous interview.

Dialysis patient Orville Molandes, 74, said he had been going to DaVita Lufkin Dialysis for two years and never saw any treatment that caused him concern. He was treated with nothing but the best service, he said.

"There are good people that work there. They know what they're doing, and they treat us right," he said. "I didn't see anybody ever mistreated."

Molandes said most people who were receiving treatment at the center were in poor health. He said he was one of the few who walked into the facility for treatments.

"There were a lot of people that went there that could barely get around," he said.

A couple of patients who died recently were in poor physical health, Molandes said.

Before Molandes began dialysis treatments, he said, he was in bad shape, too. His condition has since improved, he said.

Since the facility has been shut down he has been driving to Dialysis Clinic, Inc., in Nacogdoches for treatments.

A former DaVita nurse, who asked that her name not be used, said she quit the company after repeatedly asking for better training on dialysis machines.

"There was not a machine in the building where I did my orientation," she said.

She said she worked for the company a few months before quitting after voicing her concerns about her lack of training. She said most of the people who worked at the facility had worked there for more than a year and knew the machines, but did not have time to teach recent hires.

The former nurse said dialysis technicians wouldn't have time to train because they were on a strict, 15-minute time limit to move out a patient who had finished treatment and bring in a new one.

"I've never worked at a facility that had less training," she said.

"It was scary."

Several dialysis nurses and technicians listed in an advertisement Sunday supporting DaVita did not return calls from The Lufkin Daily News on Monday.

Find this article at:
http://www.lufkindailynews.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/05/15/davita.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=9

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:06:38 PM »

DaVita: Investigation into deaths likely the result of one employee's criminal act

By JESSICA SAVAGE
The Lufkin Daily News

Friday, May 16, 2008

A police investigation into a recent spike in patient deaths at the DaVita Lufkin Dialysis Center is believed to be the result of a criminal act by an employee who has since been fired, a company spokesman said Friday.

"We believe the events that led to our voluntarily closing the Lufkin Dialysis center are the result of a criminal act by an individual who has been terminated and is no longer working at the center," said DaVita spokesman Michael Chee.

Lufkin Police Department confirmed it is investigating allegations of criminal intent by one employee, saying it is a "large part of the investigation" but "not the entire focus of the investigation," said spokesman Lt. David Young.

"The investigation is focused on a lot of things, including an investigation into one person," Young said.

Chee said the employment of the teammate, a term the company uses for its employees, was terminated April 29, a day after the company contacted state health investigators and LPD about a recent spike in patient deaths and life-threatening complications.

DaVita and LPD are not releasing further information about the employee because of the ongoing investigation. No arrests have been made, and no charges filed, Young said.

Comments

By Anonymous

May 16, 2008 5:49 PM | Link to this

Like DaVita would actually think to be watching for someone to deliberately harm a patient... Come on. Donıt you think that MAYBE that is why it has taken so long for them to do their investigation? And why would the LPD have been involved from the beginning. I'm sure DaVita didn't want to believe a person could be capable of doing something like this.

By familymember

May 16, 2008 5:24 PM | Link to this

Did yall see today's newspaper story under breaking news? I knew something like this was going to happen. They are gonna blame it all on one tech and the company will come out smelling like a rose. I am not saying that it isn't possible...certainly nobody from Davita would notice if something like that were going on, but one person at the bottom of the totem pole was not the whole problem, it just doesn't add up to me.

By unknown

May 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Link to this

I know if I had lost a loved one in all of this, the companys lack of communication would make me think they could care less and would make me want to file a lawsuit against them even more. They seem to be more concerned with their reputation than with the lives lost.

By Roberta Mikles RN Health Care Patient Advocate

May 16, 2008 2:31 PM | Link to this

The health care industry, including dialysis, is always concerned about law suits, and this might be part of the problem. To recall, many years ago there was a study, in a hospital, that showed when health care providers are honest and upfront about errors, there was a decrease in law suits filed. There is also information available stating that those at the receiving end of errors are more forgiving of staff/providers, when there is honesty about errors. Then, we must not forget the 'ppp's - powerful prevailing politics - that are ever-present. Delivery of health care is also about humane treatment and compassion. It is my wish, and, I am sure others, to see a health care industry, especially one such as dialysis, have a change in thinking from protected disclosure of information to full disclosure including providing information when errors are made. I believe that patients should be involved in those activities that can improve care in units and have stated such in some articles I have written. However, it would only be to Davita's advantage, not to mention the relief of those grieving families and those patients who will be returning to the unit, to meet with those who have concerns, or had concerns (patient, families, staff) as this would strengthen and support efforts in improving delivery of care. Those, such as patients/families can provide valuable information related to patient safety. The only way you might ever know the full details is by reading the state survey report findings and hope that those conducting the investigation were fully trained in identifying problems. It is also important to remember that until the final report is available, we do not know if this was the result of lack of staff training, lack of unit supervision, lack of medical director oversight, lack of adequate staffing, or a problem non-related to the inner workings of the unit i.e. something that the unit had no control over. Regardless, we must continue to provide support for those that are grieving the loss of a loved one and to support those patients who, according to comments, might be fearful of returning. And, again, this is where these patients and their families need reassurance from Davita as well as to be able to directly communicate with them. It is interesting, as I previously stated, to recall, that if the airlines can meet with families when there is a crash, then what is wrong with this picture? Do facilities need to be inspected more often than every three years? In some states, restaurants are inspected more than dialysis units. Roberta Mikles RN Health Care Patient Advocate RMiklesRN@aol.com (an unapologetic advocate for safe delivery of care).

By family member too

May 16, 2008 1:30 PM | Link to this

My best guess is that they are concerned there could be a lawsuit heading their direction. Otherwise, they would have at least offered up a condolence call.

By unknown

May 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Link to this

The family members who lost loved ones should not have to wait to read it in the paper. Davita should have enough decency and morality to contact the families instead of them having to read the results in the paper. That is just wrong.

By family member too

May 16, 2008 12:08 PM | Link to this

Talked to State Health Deparment yesterday regarding our complaint. The man told me that the report will be forthcoming in about 1 - 2 weeks but to keep looking for articles in paper. He said the reporters usually get the story to the paper before an explanation reaches us by mail. If you call all they will say is "due to the integrity of the investigation we cannot comment at this time." Please Jessica, stay on top of this story so we can find out the information we are waiting for.

By family member

May 16, 2008 11:56 AM | Link to this

I am so sorry to hear about all these family member passing away. my spouse goes to Davita now in Livingston since this started and was told that they would go back to regular schedule today so they went no one there. They had to contacted Davita this morning to be told they were not opening back up until next Friday If they would not have called would my spouse had dailysis today? thanks alot for the notice Davita.

By family

May 16, 2008 9:26 AM | Link to this

No we have not been contacted by Davita at all, we have talked with a few other people who have lost someone since April 1.

By unknown

May 15, 2008 10:46 PM | Link to this

The third person that day? Wow. That makes it even worse. Has the company contacted you at all with any kind of explaination?

By unknown

May 15, 2008 10:46 PM | Link to this

The third person that day? Wow. That makes it even worse. Has the company contacted you at all with any kind of explaination?

By unknown

May 15, 2008 10:44 PM | Link to this

By family

May 15, 2008 11:29 AM | Link to this

My Mother passed away on April 1, 2008 at DaVita. She went to dialysis on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from approx. 11:00 to 4 pm. If you were there that day (Tuesday 4-1-08)will you please write in I would really like to speak to someone that was sitted next to her. If you have a family member that has passed away please write in and give the dates we were told by the security guard at Memorial that mother was the third person to die on this day from there.

By family

May 15, 2008 11:27 AM | Link to this

My Mother passed away on April 1, 2008 at DaVita. She went to dialysis on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from approx. 11:00 to 4 pm. If you were there that day (Tuesday 4-1-08)will you please write in I would really like to speak to someone that was sitted next to her. If you have a family member that has passed away please write in and give the dates we were told by the security guard at Memorial that mother was the third person to die on this day from there.

By unknown

May 15, 2008 7:46 AM | Link to this

yet another article, but still no answers.

May 14, 2008 4:19 PM | Link to this

ESRD dialysis facility survey reports (F2567)will show you what was found during this investigation. You can request a copy through the Texas Dept of State Health Services. You might have to pay the going rate for per page i.e. 25 cents, etc. You can obtain a survey report for any facility through any of the state survey agencies in any state. Medicare/Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) contracts with each state to conduct surveys every three years. CMS relies on states to ensure facilities are in compliance with federal regulations, which are minimum standards. However, when surveys are conducted, surveyors will be able to determine if the facility is following their own policies and procedures as well as other specific guidelines related to infection control (CDC)and those related to water treatment,as well as related to dialyzer reuse. If the facility reuses dialyzers then there are very strict guidelines that must be implemented.(and, of course for water treatment as well). The following is who to contact to obtain information on process of receiving a copy of recent, or other, surveys at this facility.
Texas Department of State Health Services 1-888-973-0022

It is important, again, for readers to know that delivery of care in dialysis units encompasses a wide continuum of care from less than standard to excellent and it takes a team (patients and staff working together to improve situations).

Roberta Mikles, RN BA Health Care Patient Advocate RMiklesRN@aol.com As I have had many emails, please feel free to email if there are questions.

By unknown

May 14, 2008 3:54 PM | Link to this

someone else on here said they were opening back up on Friday. I honestly don't see how, in good conscience, they can open that place back up without offering some answers to all of these questions. At the very least to the ones who lost family members in this tragedy. If I were a pt. there, I would be scared to go back not knowing what the problem was in the first place. I know some have no choice but to go there. Have some decency davita, talk to these people and give them some answers. You owe them at least that much.

By a spouse

May 14, 2008 3:35 PM | Link to this

My family member has been told that they will reopen this Friday? has anyone else heard this and what has come of the investigation? will we every get the truth? Davita your patients and their families deserve to know what the results of the investigations IS! I do not believe that Davita is as bad as some of public are stating but, there is ovbiously problems wouldn't you say? need to revaluate your staff and procedures on how you handle ALL patients not just certain ones. If I am not mistaking we are all taxpayers and all have to pay medicare preminums that pays your salaries so you need to serve all your patients to the BEST of your ability. not just do what you think is sufficent PLEAE KEEP IN MIND YOU HAVE OUR FAMILIES IN YOUR HANDS!

By family memeber

May 14, 2008 3:18 PM | Link to this

I know we deserve some answers to what has been discovered from this so called investigation? My spouse and I have put him health (including dialysis) in Our God's hand, we know that people are not perfect but, you have to remember that this (dialysis) requires VERY trained personnel and Davita you need to find quailfied personnel and keep them by do what is right providing on going training and higher salaries after evaluation not just from higher stff members but, also the patients. Davita listen to them we are tax payers and also have to pay medicare premiums so let our families get the medical treatment we deserve. My spouse has felt better lately since going to another facility and some of the other families have stated this what is wrong? Please for all our sakes Davita fix it and now!

May 13, 2008 9:20 PM | Link to this

The below information is for 'family member' who posted, requesting information, as well as others who have emailed me. I noted that the prior information was for Florida, and not Texas, therefore, accept my apologies - puter glitch-copy/paste.

The information below is from the website:
http://www.esrdnetwork.org/patients/complaints.asp

It appears, from many posts, that some of the initial suggestions below have already been tried. I wish you all the best in this most difficult time. Roberta Mikles RN BA Health Care Patient Advocate, San Diego, California - RMiklesRN@aol.com

If you are unhappy with the care or treatment you receive at your dialysis clinic or transplant center, or if you have a complaint about your care, you have the right to file a complaint. Here's how to file your complaint:

Firstıtry to talk to your nurse, doctor, or social worker about the problem. It is possible there is a simple explanation. Even if there is not a simple explanation, it may be possible for you and the clinic to work out a solution to the problem that could result in better care for you and other patients.
Nextıif talking does not resolve the problem, or if you feel you cannot discuss your problem with the staff at your clinic, you can go directly to the regional administrator or even the corporate office of your dialysis company or transplant unit. The names and phone numbers of these people should be posted in the waiting room of you clinic.
Finallyıif none of the above actions work or if you feel your clinic or corporation cannot help you, call one of the Toll Free numbers below for help.
Texas Department of State Health Services
(888) 973-0022

OR

The ESRD Network of Texas
(877) 886-4435

If you contact the Network for help, WE CAN:
Give you names and phone numbers of people you can speak to at your clinic's corporate offices.
Give you information about Medicare regulations and your rights under Medicare.
Contact the clinic and conduct a confidential investigation into you complaint, which may include one of more of the following actions:
Requesting medical records
Interviewing staff members or patients and asking for details about a complaint
If necessary, visiting a clinic in person
Confidential means we will not tell anyone at the facility or clinic your name, unless you give us permission to do so.

By Saddened Citizen

May 13, 2008 8:10 PM | Link to this

To all: patients, family members, patient advocates/caregivers I applaud you from hundreds of miles away for SPEAKING UP and advocating for your loved ones on dialysis. You have my deepest sympathy for the patients and families who are grieving. I know there must be "teammates" who are also grieving. I support your efforts because Davita is a huge corporation that can give an enormous amount of lip-service to their self-proclaimed greatness as the "provider of choice." In reality, they do not provide adequate oversight and training in other Davita clinics in the country. The middle and upper management get their "pounds of gold" at the expense of quality care to patients. As a tax payer, I am outraged at the low pay they give to their direct care staff who have our loved ones lives in their hands on a daily basis. Was high turn-over in direct care staff related to the Lufkin clinic problems? Experienced direct care staff are hard to find, and Davita seems to drive them away. Davita, at the regional and corporate levels have no qualms about spending Medicare dollars on lengthy expensive "pep rallies" when they all feed into the delusion that Davita is the leading dialysis provider in the country. Their marketing campaigns and stategies to cater to the patients with commmercial insurance whom they refer to as HIPPERS (high insurance payers), is appalling. All tax payers should be concerned about our Medicare funds being spent so carelessly by Davita on non-patient related activities. It is with great sadness that lives were lost due to whatever reasons the investigators determine. In Lufkin, it is with great sadness that the earlier efforts and alerts to improve the Lufkin clinic were not paid attention to by the company's upper echelon, or do they REALLY CARE about PATIENT CARE? I wonder? I would stay far away from any Davita Dialysis clinic.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:05:18 AM »

Here's the latest--

Nurse charged with injecting patients with bleach

LUFKIN, Texas — A former nurse accused of intentionally injecting bleach into two patients at a dialysis center was arrested Friday, police said.

Two witnesses said they saw Kimberly Clark Saenz, 34, draw bleach into syringes and inject it into two patients' dialysis lines at the DaVita Dialysis Center on April 28, Lufkin police said in a statement.

Both patients survived, but one required treatment at a hospital, police said.

Police said tests showed bleach in the syringes and dialysis lines.

Saenz, who remained in Angelina County jail Friday evening, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault. Her bail was set at $200,000. A jail official said he did not know whether she had an attorney. Attempts to find her home phone number were unsuccessful.

DaVita spokesman Michael Chee said Saenz was fired from the center on April 29, a day after it was closed by authorities investigating the deaths of four patients in April.

"We hope that this individual is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," said Chee, who added that they are continuing to work with the police and state health authorities. He said the center remains closed.

Police spokesman Lt. David Young said that the investigation continues.

El Segundo, California-based DaVita has more than 1,300 outpatient facilities across the U.S.

___

May 30, 2008 - 11:53 p.m. Copyright 2008, The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:36:56 AM »

:banghead; How can this happen?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »