I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:45:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Pre Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre Transplant  (Read 2811 times)
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« on: May 27, 2008, 06:38:42 PM »

Dustin and I will be going tmrw to talk to his Social worker at dialysis and the Manager. Dustin is tlaking like he wants to get his TRANSPLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :yahoo; I am excited and scared. Last time we went through all the transplant center stuff and Dustin lets say was not ready and wasnt as compliant as he should have been. They the transplant center made him sign a contract yes a CONTRACT they he would take his meds like he was suppose to, quit smoking or at least try and not to miss any dialysis sessions. Before anyone comments ;) I feel like the Manager at dialysis. She said there are quite a few that are non compliant such as not taking care of thereselves thats why they are on dialysis. But that should NOT keep them from getting their transplant. Sometimes I think the Dr's wave that magic wand and I know at times they have to. We do not know what caused his FSGS.
He is a 22 yr old wanting to live a normal life like everyone else. All of you I know can relate. We were all young at one time and didn't always do what we were told. lol I am still alil like that ;).
I will let you know how the meeting goes. Last time I talked to the Manager I balled. Dustin is my only child. He is my bestbud besides my hubby. We have always been close and able to talk about anything. There isn't a day I don't pray that Dustin will want his transplant. He is so scared but is so ready to get off dialysis. I put my faith in Christ. God knows how many prayers I have sent up to him not only for my son but for all of you on here. You ahve been a God send to me.

Will update all of you tmrw!!!!!!!!

Lori/Indiana mom to Dustin 22
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »

The compliant part seems to be a normal thing with all the transplant centers I went to when I was searching for a transplant center.The center I choose had me sit with a social worker and the coordinator and asked me about how I felt about dialysis, why I didn't go a couple times, and asked about my medication schedule. What they told me was that they were looking for someone who will take care of their transplant and not forget about taking their meds because they didn't feel like it. To me it was no different from taking insulin, I needed that to stay alive and not feel like crap when the blood sugar is high. So if he has made some strides in willingness to change his habits, it will look more favorable to the transplant team that the kidney will not go to waste since there are so many people on the list.
Good Luck
Chris

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:31:17 AM »

I think the issue with being compliant or not is about someone who's willing to do everything they can to improve their health in order to accept an organ will likely have the attitude to keep on with it once you have the organ. Plus if you are doing things like smoking and missing dialysis and not keeping to the diet or restrictions etc that's putting your body in a worse shape to accept an organ or for it to be a successful transplant. When there's far more demand than supply they really can afford to be picky and chose those with the best chance at a positive long term outcome.. and that's going to be the more compliant patients I feel.

Not saying that I feel non complaint patients SHOULDN"T get transplants - I think everyone should if they can - but when you're faced with options and need to choose - all of these factors weigh in on the equation.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Lori1851

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:14:26 AM »

I totally agree with all of you. Someone willing to give their kidney the recipient should be compliant. It has taken Dustin a year to get where he actually WANTS one now. The seizures he had in March might delay him I am thinking. Won't know until we try right;)
Have a good day friends!!!!!
Lori/Indiana
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »

I really don't understand what there is to be afraid of in receiving a transplant.  You are unconscious for a few hours, wake up feeling 100% better, and then all you have to do is take some pills twice a day and live a normal life for however long your reprieve from dialysis lasts.  Since living on dialysis is a living death, I can't see that you would lose much even if you died during the transplant procedure, which is only a one in three thousand chance anyway.  Renal transplants have been performed since the 1950s and are now regarded as a simple, routine procedure with minimal blood loss.

The 'contract' to be compliant on receiving a transplant is a legal farce, and I regard it as unethical for transplant centers to try to make dialysis patients think that they can be legally bound by it, which is pure fraud being committed against vulnerable people to whom the nephrologists owe a duty of care.  First, a contract made under duress is unenforceable, so confronting a patient with the dilemma of signing a contract or facing early death on dialysis makes the contract void from the outside.  Second, how would they enforce the contract if the patient broke it by being non-compliant with medications or follow-up appointments after receiving the new organ?  Do they propose to take the kidney back?  The whole thing is too ridiculous for words.
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:41:04 AM »

Good luck Laurie and Dustin!!  Please let us know what happens.

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
Lori1851

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »

Sluff,
I totally AGREE with you. The manager at Fresenius said there should have never been a contract! She said the social worker and herself will do everthing possible for Dustin to get his transplant. Sad thing is Dustin's friend was a pretty good match for him only thing is the blood type which by what I read can be taken care of by plasmaphersis. Will keep you all updated. I think sometimes Dr's think their God.

Lori/Indiana
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:48:53 AM »

Hmm, odd to me how Fresinus is doing whatever they can to get him a transplant.
Here, it was up to the patient to contact a transplant center, do all te test, go to meetings, and they only contact the transplant center had with the dialysis unit was for lab results, dialysis settings, and blood samples.  I hope you are involved in the process and talking with a transplant center directly. As for a contract, never had one of those either.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:14:53 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 07:28:08 AM »

The transplant social worker was the one that talked to me about compliance. I hope this time around they will help him feel better about the transplant. 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 08:16:06 AM »

Jenna had some trouble being compliant with taking meds when she was 15 - 16 years old. The doctor at Children's Hospital said "Well, let's hope she has such an awful experience with dialysis that she will be motivated to be compliant."  Our next nephrologist said "Don't worry about her being compliant. That's what she has family for, and the support will carry her through as she matures. Get her the transplant, and she will feel so much better that she will want to maintain it."
I learned to not tell the doctors how she was with her compliancy with meds. She did improve but is not perfect. I did make sure she never missed dialysis though. How would she do without our help? I am not sure.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Lori1851

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 06:54:21 PM »

Chris,
Dustin will call the Transplant center. The social worker and Director will help in any way they can.
Lori/Indiana
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »