I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Pins ad needles
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pins ad needles  (Read 2385 times)
Yvonne

Yvonne

« on: June 16, 2008, 11:24:42 PM »

John has asked me to ask this question. He is awaiting dialysis, had the fistula fitted and the renal unit are just having in him once every 2 months for blood and urine checks.
However he gets every now and again pins and needles all over his body, he says at the time it is very painful, enough to bring tears to his eye's. Anyone any idea what they may be the sign of.  His next check up is in July and these pins and needles have only just started.

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
G

Let's go steal some pic-nic baskets Boo-Boo

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:59:40 PM »

I have never heard of this. I have had numbness w/tingling in my extremities. This is from calcium deficiencies from what I'm told. Not to scare, but he should contact his doctor or at a minimum an advice nurse immediately.
Good Luck!

No kidneys
No spleen
No parathyroid
On list as of 10/07
Still fun
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »

What you report is a classic symptom of uremic neuropathy.  The build-up of toxins in renal patients damages the nervous system, causing all sorts of phantom pains, prickles, numbness, etc.  Those symptoms may improve with dialysis, though during dialysis the health of the patient's nervous system will decline over time and may make such sensations permanent.  However, there are a number of drugs available to suppress the symptoms.

When I was on dialysis, I could feel my feet gradually becoming more and more numb, starting at my toes.  The numbness had progressed to the middle of my feet by the time I got a transplant, at which point the advance ceased.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »

Yes I have started to get this too. Sometimes are worse than others depending on how my diet is going. My neph says it is uremic neuropathy due to toxic
build-up. Since your husband is not on dialysis yet, check any recent diet changes or medicine changes which may account for it. Also, if he is pre-dialysis he probably needs to stay very hydrated to assist with adequate processing of anything he intakes. Since his renal function is decreasing to the point he needs dialysis soon, then that would account for the toxic build-up. Hopefully, once he starts dialysis, his problem with this issue will be resolved. Until then, He may need pain medications to get him through it. Best of luck to him.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
mariannas

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »

I've been lucky and never developed it all over, but it sounds just like the neuropathy I had after my bout with Shingles last year.  It was in my feet and horrible.  It hurt to walk and even put on my socks.  Luckily it went away after 3 or 4 months.  I'm not sure if it's a permanent thing once you get it during ESRD or not.  I'm sure there is someone on here more experienced than I.
kevno

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 04:55:06 AM »

If you get over heated you can get prickly heat. In renal patients it can also be caused by toxins, phosphate to high. Which is like pins and needles al over you body. If I get it I use periton which usully stops it within the hour or a cold shower.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »