I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:16:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Combo Kidney-Pancreas Transplant Boosts Survival in Diabetics
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Combo Kidney-Pancreas Transplant Boosts Survival in Diabetics  (Read 2205 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 22, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »

Combo Kidney-Pancreas Transplant Boosts Survival in Diabetics

Wed May 21, 7:02 PM ET

WEDNESDAY, May 21 (HealthDay News) -- Compared to kidney transplantation alone, a simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplant improves the likelihood of long-term survival in patients with type 1 diabetes and end-stage renal disease (ESRD), according to a German study.

The researchers analyzed the long-term outcomes of more than 11,000 patients with type 1 diabetes and ESRD who had a kidney transplant between 1984 and 2000, including 3,500 who had simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplantation. In some cases, patient and transplanted kidney survival were evaluated up to 18 years after the transplant.

After adjusting for other factors, the researchers concluded that patients who received simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplants had better long-term survival. Beyond 10 years, the risk of death in the kidney-pancreas group was 45 percent lower than in the kidney group.

That improved long-term survival was largely the result of a lower risk of cardiovascular disease -- 37 percent among kidney-pancreas patients compared with 46 percent to 49 percent in kidney-only patients.

"Based on these results, we feel that all type 1 diabetics with kidney failure should be considered for simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation," Dr. Christian Morath, of the University of Heidelberg, said in a prepared statement.

The study appears in the August issue of the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

"Our study shows that a functioning pancreas has a benefit for the simultaneously transplanted kidney," Morath said. "At the same time, this procedure prolongs the survival of the patient, compared to a patient who received only a kidney transplant."

Morath said the lower risk of cardiovascular death among kidney-pancreas transplant patients "is most likely due to the [normal blood sugar levels] in patients who received a combined treatment."

The results "show an interaction of different and independent organs -- kidney, pancreas, and heart -- with respect to survival of the patient."

More information

The National Kidney Foundation has more about kidney transplantation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080521/hl_hsn/combokidneypancreastransplantboostssurvivalindiabetics

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:40:29 PM »

This result is paradoxical, however.  A large-scale epidemiological study of the development of complications in type 1 diabetics from the early 1950s to the present has found that with increasing improvement in blood sugar control (as a result of new medical theories and new testing devices developed over that period), some complications have declined in incidenc but others have not.  Kidney disease and heart disease were two of the complications which did not improve over the generations with improved control of blood sugar.  The theory is that these complications may be caused by genes inherited along with the genetic predisposition to develop type 1 diabetes in the presence of some unknown stress factor, but that they are not due to high blood sugar per se.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:16:10 AM »

I can attest to the story. If I had just had the kidney transplant, I still would have had trouble with not knowing I hypoglycemia, which in part led frequent trips to the hospital. With the simultaneous tx, I fel a lot better and still alive a kicking, which may not have happened if I stayed on dialysis or just had a plain kidney tx.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012