I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 12:31:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  new catheter questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new catheter questions  (Read 1552 times)
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« on: May 23, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »

My new cath is slowly trickling blood. How much blood is too much? Any tips to get it to stop? Also, they put it kind of low. The cath is totally resting on my boob. As attractive as this sounds, I'm not looking forward to whipping out my boob during each treatment. What do you do in this situation?  :-\

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:21:38 AM »

I have the same problem with the placement SZ.  I don't wear a bra right now as a result but I wear a cami with adjustable straps.  So on dialysis I have an overshirt on and then take my arm out of the cath side. tuck the cami up under the cath but covering the boob and so far this is working.  It doesn't seem quite possible at first but as it gets less sore it's OK.

I had some leaking too, which stopped eventually.  I had quite a bit of blood on the third day and went to the hospital where they changed the dressing and no troubles after that with leaking.  They also gave me sterile swabs etc to clean up the area if necessary.

What's been annoying are the ends of the stitches poking me like little needles so I shoved a sterile pad under to make a barrier.

If there's significant blood, I'd ask the nurse to have a look at it.     Good luck Missy. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:51:29 PM »

Thanks Morein! I have a cami that I can wear under my shirt to treatment. I think I'll try that. I called the doctor on call about the bleeding and he didn't seem too concerned. He had me put pressure on it for ten minutes and that has helped. I wasn't expecting all the bleeding since my other two hemo caths didn't bleed at all. I had one where the stitches were really uncomfortable though, so I know how you feel. When the nurse cut the stitches on that one it popped out suddenly a few inches and I screamed because I wasn't expecting it, haha. I go on tuesday to have the dressing changed and to get it flushed. <3

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »