I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:21:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Not strong enough for new saline bags
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not strong enough for new saline bags  (Read 7634 times)
Roadrunner

« on: March 02, 2008, 05:15:19 PM »

Is anyone else using the new saline bags from Fresenius?  I feel like getting out my husbands drill and making a hole before I spike it. 

When I finally get the spike in I can see that the tip is bent over and I was afraid that it would impede the flow but it worked OK.  Is this just the one box I received or is this the new way?  These bags are much clearer than the old ones.  Is anyone else using these?

My husband told me this morning that I am getting muscles.  Spiking and lugging boxes and bags will do that
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:47:30 PM »

Hmm, I use Baxter saline bags now, but my centre is going to be switching to Fresenius for home supplies. I better start lifting weights to be ready to spike those bags.  :lol;

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »

I have been wanting to have this discussion for awhile too.  These new bags bite!  They are much harder, and I don't know any tricks.  If someome has figured out a tip to getting it to go in, I's love to know how.  I just push but once it's in I do turn it a few times while trying to get it all the way in.  But I did ben one tip so much that I had to throw it our and start over.  I wonder why they switched?

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »

I keep getting sprayed - I had to start leaving the saline bag flat on the counter until I manage to spike it.  They are horrid, horrid, horrid!  My biggest worry is that I have bent the tip spiking the first bag, and will need another one spiked quickly during a crash and my partner won't be able to do it. I called Fresenious and complained about them - but they are not carrying the others at all anymore.  I wish NxStage would get their act together and start carrying ALL the supplies.  Then we could get things that were meant to work with their system!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »

I keep getting sprayed - I had to start leaving the saline bag flat on the counter until I manage to spike it.  They are horrid, horrid, horrid!  My biggest worry is that I have bent the tip spiking the first bag, and will need another one spiked quickly during a crash and my partner won't be able to do it. I called Fresenious and complained about them - but they are not carrying the others at all anymore.  I wish NxStage would get their act together and start carrying ALL the supplies.  Then we could get things that were meant to work with their system!

AMEN!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
cherpep

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:13:54 AM »

Actually, the saline bags changed during my training.  We started with the old ones and then when we opened a new box, it had the new saline bags in it.  My nurse even had a very difficult time putting the spike in, and he's a very strong man.  I have found that laying the bag on top of the NxStage machine (not up on the pole) and twisting the spike in, helps me.  I am able to apply more pressure with the bag at that level, I just didn't have the strength while reaching up.  Heck!  My arms get tired just combing my hair, LOL!
cherpep

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »

OK, just because I read this topic last night, I bent the tip of the spike as I was inserting it last night.  I had to throw the whole thing away because I kept getting errors on the NxStage.  Anyhow, I was afraid to bend it again, so I poked it first with one of my pink needles that I use to dray my heparin.  After poking, the spike went in pretty easily.  Good Luck!
Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »

I must have gotten a new box of super strong Fresenious saline bags. 

Did the first prime and the tip broke off.  It started to prime and then I got the red 38 error code.  Tried recovering and then called NxStage and they told me to throw away the bag and the cartridge.

Did the second bag and got a red 30 error.  Called NxStage again and was given the same advice.  Thank goodness the third set worked OK.

NxStage told me that they are working on redesigning the tip so this won't happen in the future.  My nurse told me that they were developing replaceable tips so that if this happens you can disconnect the tip and replace it.  We'll wait and see.

When I travel, I guess I need to bring extra supplies JUST IN CASE.

Maybe we need to soften up the bag first :Kit n Stik;

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »

I just started using my first shipment of Fresenius bags and OH GEEZE YOU GUYS AREN'T KIDDING!! I literally feel like I need a hydraulic press to get that bloody thing in. I've had one tip bend almost in half, and another time my hand slipped off the bag right as the tip broke through, which promptly popped out again and drenched me and my machine down with saline, and cost me a cartridge and bag. I want my Baxter bags back! I do like the idea of a replaceable tip, though.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »

Adam,
LOL I read your caption under your pic!!! Hehehehe cute!!!
Loir/Indiana
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »

Hmmmm..  I just got a delivery from Fresenius yesterday and I'm still receiving Baxter saline bags..

Is this just a regional thing?   ???

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »

we get our saline bags from Baxter...I don't think I want those from Fresenius.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 09:46:57 AM »

Last night I accidentally brushed my hand with the saline spike while going to spike the bag. My hands were freshly washed but I wiped the spike with an alcowipe. The spike has never gone in easier. It was just a single experience, if you try it let us know if wiping the spike tip with alcohol helps. I'll try it again tonight.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »

I gave the tip of the saline spike a wipe with alcohol again tonight and it popped right in - anyone else give it a try?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
silverhead

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 06:38:29 AM »

For those using the "troublesome" new bags, I sure hope Bill's tip helps, We are still using the Baxter bags and I tried the tip last night and for me it did not help, in fact it made it a little more difficult to hold things tightly because my fingers were made a little to slippery....
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Roadrunner

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

I was hoping Bill was right and didn't just get one of the easy bags.

I tried it last night and it still went in hard and still broke the tip but it didn't give any problems.  The bags aren't consistent.  Some go in easily and others are like going through a stone wall.
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »

I tried Bill's method and it was a little easier, but like Roadrunner said, they are inconsistent.

Adam

migaguiar

Step back. Im full of toxins.

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »

The Fresenius bags are horrible.
I have almost broken my thumb trying to insert the plastic needle.

I have new ones from Baxter that are a breeze to poke but have no handle guard to prevent your fingers from slipping onto the plastic needle.  :-\

But i rather have that problem then breaking my thumbs.

"All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

http://ihaveesrd.blogspot.com/
Alports @ age 19 hemo in center 4 months
20 paternal kidney transplant 14 years
Present 1 1/2 yr PD
4 month in center
now 6 months @ home NxStage Daily
Soon Nocturnal!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »