I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  I've gotten a quick glimps of the "Duh-Vita" attitude
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I've gotten a quick glimps of the "Duh-Vita" attitude  (Read 3771 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: April 18, 2008, 10:14:08 PM »

A couple weeks ago I was at the dialysis centre for a clinic visit and I happened to be wearing a shirt that I designed advocating home/self-care dialysis. On the back, there is a list of different websites (including IHD  :thumbup; ). I added the websites for both Davita and Fresenius because they both offer home dialysis. There happened to be some Davita corporate people there, and they were looking at my shirt. The first thing one of them said was "Ugh, you put the name of THE ENEMY on there (the "enemy" being Fresenius)" The sad thing is he wasn't really joking. He was more concerned about seeing a "competitor's" name on my shirt, than the true message of advocating for better treatment for a lot of patients. This little exchange has reinforced my feeling that Davita can be really good at the individual clinic level (although unfortunately not all clinics), but at the corporate level, they are worse than Microsoft. Sorry if this starts any kind of pro- vs anti-Davita flame war. That is not my intention.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:29:25 AM »

Adam, I've noticed that in so many types of businesses, and not just large corporations! I used to work for a small-town newspaper (there were two weekly papers in town), and my office manager was always making comments like that about the other paper.

Anyway, it's really too bad that man couldn't see the true point of the shirt, because I agree with you, home care and self-advocacy is absolutely the way to go!!  :2thumbsup;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »

:rofl;        "Duh-Vita"       Adam, you are a joy.........
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »

It is too bad that the dialysis industry retains an "us vs. them" attitude.  One would hope they would be attempting to cooperate in order to produce optimum outcomes for the patients rather than worrying about constant acquisitions and who is the "biggest" dialysis provider in the country.  Even if they were just joking, this type of behavior by those "in charge" creates a very poor impression.  If this is how those at the corporate level are behaving in full view of patients, it makes one wonder how much more is being said behind closed doors. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:17:44 AM by David13 » Logged

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »

David AMEN and well said.  :thumbup;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:51:37 PM »

Thank God my center is still independent and non-profit.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »