I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:19:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  A victory for You and I
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A victory for You and I  (Read 3585 times)
migaguiar

Step back. Im full of toxins.

« on: May 03, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »

This past thursday , May 1st, was a tough day for me but its outcome was worth it.

For 3 hours 2 nurses sat opposed to me and tried to convince me to conulate myself without lidocaine.
This is something i refused to do and I was not willing to negotiate. I'm creating buttonholes and I was
able to handle the 17gauge needles and not so much the 16gauge but definitely could not handle the 15 gauge needle.
The 15's shot shocks down my bicep and up towards my shoulder and that was a nurse doing it at that.

So after 3 treatments with the 15's i asked for lidocaine and it was done but for only 6 treatments after which they concluded
the buttonhole tunnel was incorrectly angled and new buttonholes needed to be created.

This is when they requested that I use my own angle. The nurse that was brought in to help me from another WELLBOUND said
that i should not have lidocaine at all anyways and that it is against WELLBOUND PROTOCOL to use because of possible scar tissue
formation around the buttonholes.  So, she refused me and told me i was going to do it myself. She boasted about how she
convinced many people to do themselves.

I said i would rather go back to incenter and feel washed up then poke myself. The short authoritative Hitleresque one sat there
actually pissed........Can you believe that? she was pissed. :urcrazy; Again she sat and told me how many people she has convinced.  >:D
I told her that she is in a position of authority and has no right to push people into doing something they do not want to do. You are
not just persuading people to poke themselves but you are asking them to go against their will, what their mind is saying to them.
You dont know if they go home depressed or take it out on a family member. You dont see what goes on afterwards. I finished with
,"You only have the right to tell them the medical positive and negatives of a situation and be supportive of their choices."

In her clinic she does not allow lidocaine. I feel sorry for her patients. Well.......I left without doing buttonhole training that day and did
dialysis here at home on my NxStage.

I had Wellbound, my nurse and my Doctor calling me the next 2 days. I needed a break and did not pick up. Ive been grinding my teeth
and clinching my jaw for the last two weeks from stress. Its an unconscious thing i do. At the end of the night i always end up with headaches.

I did finally answer my Dr.'s phone call and she said she understands and will ORDER the clinic to use local. I will go back on Monday to start a new set
of buttonholes. Im already stressed. Just the idea of having to poke myself has me tense. Im just glad i will use local to do it.

I did eventually also speak to one of the nurses at wellbound and she did state i would have local but i told her I just dont want it for me I want it
to be optional for everyone not just for me.

Believe it or not she thanked me and said it made her job easier to be allowed to use local and that she would try and convince the head Dr. of the clinic
to allow it. She congratulated me in fighting for what i wanted.

It was a victory for you and I.
 :boxing; :boxing; :boxing;

"All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

http://ihaveesrd.blogspot.com/
Alports @ age 19 hemo in center 4 months
20 paternal kidney transplant 14 years
Present 1 1/2 yr PD
4 month in center
now 6 months @ home NxStage Daily
Soon Nocturnal!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 10:07:22 PM »

Good for you for standing up for what you wanted!  It's scary enough learning to stick yourself - if the lido makes you feel better about it, there's no reason not to have it.  If they want to convince you to try it without, fine - do so after you are comfortable with self-cannulating then!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 10:36:56 PM »

:2thumbsup; Good for you! I'd like to see that nurse stick her own arm routinely - sheesh - what arrogance to assume she knows what's better for the person who has to inflict their own pain to be treated!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 05:04:36 AM »

migaguiar,  :thx; for speaking up for all patients. Let me stick that nurse with some 15 gauge needles  >:D

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 05:38:45 AM »

Outstanding! migaguiar,
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »

You go!   :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »