I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:44:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Whatever You Do, Don't Get "Too Sick"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whatever You Do, Don't Get "Too Sick"  (Read 1877 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 03, 2008, 11:58:46 PM »

Whatever You Do, Don't Get "Too Sick"

Posted May 3, 2008 | 09:50 AM (EST)

Something potentially sinister is emerging because of the health care debate we're failing to have.

No matter which candidate you favor or whose plan you back, if you look at the spiraling costs of medical tests and doctor visits, you have to wonder who will be sacrificed.

Yes, that's what I meant - sacrificed. Now we all know life doesn't go on forever, but a recent Wharton/Stanford study proposes an "empiric estimate of the value of life" that is more than a little unsettling.

The co-authors of the study conclude from their findings that there must be cost effective thresholds of a sort to determine whether to keep patients alive. If a dialysis patient, for example, were to go beyond this threshold, treatment would be terminated and they'd die. In what the researchers call a "pragmatic and modern" application of social justice they advocate thinking about the percentile of patients up to which medical coverage would be provided.

As a business professor, I understand purely economic vantage points and credit the researchers for their work. But my ethics and preventive medicine background render things less clear in this domain. One more "quality-adjusted" year of life can be priceless in what can be accomplished and enjoyed.

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 32, doctors wanted to save me. They were totally vested in the enterprise. I could feel that. I'm still young enough to find a doctor who cares. But it's getting harder. And any of you who have had or have serious illnesses and are, let's say, over forty know what I mean.

So while universal health care is a very good thing, the presidential candidates need to grapple with reality. How will we avoid becoming a society that blames very ill people for depriving those who are less ill? How do we avoid health elitism among those who have not yet come up wanting in the coin toss of life? Will there be thresholds? Who will define them? How do we avoid bias?
And why not work diligently to lower what have become ridiculously high health care costs instead of picking people to die?

My mother lived twenty-six years after five cerebral hemorrhages and coma to walk, talk, laugh, drive and even work again. Someone gave the order to move her out of intensive care at age 52 because there was no hope when I, barely out of my teens and not then "trouble", nonetheless started yelling about mercy killing in the hallways of a Catholic hospital, my determination to contact the bishop and write to the Pope. My mother stayed in intensive care and lived.

But had some "objective" person with a clipboard looked at her potential for a worthwhile "quality-adjusted" life prior to that success, she would have been deprived of it under the guidelines we may soon face.

Who's to say how low the thresholds of sustainable life will go to make health care cost effective? They might continue to move until many of us and those we love with years to live will not be given that opportunity.

Barack Obama proposes for chronic illnesses improvement of coordination and integration. Hillary Clinton provides more details, but neither addresses the dilemmas described above. John McCain is simply going to give us too little money to even purchase health care. I guess that's one way of solving the problem.

It's time for some serious thinking on issues like who among those with chronic disease will be allowed to live and who allowed to die. Better sooner than later when people who could enjoy long, reasonably healthy lives are deemed expendable because according to some statistically impressive callous calculation, they simply aren't worth saving.

Dr. Reardon also blogs at politicsdoc.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathleen-reardon/whatever-you-do-dont-get_b_99944.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:41:24 AM »

While we are on the theme of the cost-effective use of the limited funds available for health care, we should ask the fundamental question which no one ever dares to address: How many patients have to go without adequate health care, or simply have to be left to die because they are too expensive to treat, because doctors are so wildly overpaid?  There is no excuse for medical doctors in the US to be earning on average five or six times what the average income when that excess income means that a certain percentage of very sick patients will have to die to spare the money so young doctors can afford a Jaguar before they're 30 years old.  A doctor in Germany or France makes about the same amount of money as an American high school teacher and as a result, health care there can afford to treat  patients much more effectively.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:53:08 AM »

A doctor in Germany or France makes about the same amount of money as an American high school teacher and as a result, health care there can afford to treat  patients much more effectively.

Are there shortages of local doctors in those countries ... and more imported physicians?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:57:58 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »