I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 06:37:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Calling all FSGS-ers...lol T or F Lower protein spill = lower creatinine?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling all FSGS-ers...lol T or F Lower protein spill = lower creatinine?  (Read 1737 times)
lruffner

« on: April 26, 2008, 12:13:05 PM »

My nephs told me that as your protein spillage decreases, your creat/ kidney function improves. Well, that is not my case at all. Anyone have any input on the topic?

EDITED: Moved to Dialysis General Discussion - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:51:31 PM by Sluff » Logged

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »

These phenomena -- spilling protein in the urine and having renal problems -- are really just two sides of the same coin, not independent factors related as cause and effect or effect and cause.  Intact nephrons do not allow protein to escape the kidney into the urine, and if they do, they are damaged, so protein in the urine is one measure of kidney disease.  Another is the quantity of metabolic by-products arising from breaking down proteins which the kidneys are unable to cleanse from the body, and that is measured by the level of creatinine that backs up in the blood because the kidneys can no longer remove it.
lruffner

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

Thanks for the input stauffenberg. They don't go into to much detail with me, they just sort of blurt out a few words here and there, without explaining what it all means. Isn't that a shocker?  :sarcasm;

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »