I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 02:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Immunosuppressant drugs can contribute to high cholesterol
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Immunosuppressant drugs can contribute to high cholesterol  (Read 6231 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 02, 2008, 09:06:06 PM »

Our member MiSSis was in Southern California this week from Illinois. Even though we didn't get to meet, we had a great phone conversation. One thing we discussed was high cholesterol and transplant recipients. She got me thinking so I looked up more info. Doctor's seem to downplay this type of thing, I think because Jenna is so young. But the longterm effects need to be monitored to keep her healthy for a long time.
Thanks MISSis - I always learn things from our members!

High Cholesterol
Many immunosuppressant drugs can contribute to high cholesterol. This condition therefore affects many transplant recipients. When a patient develops high cholesterol, blood vessels, including the ones attached to the transplanted organ, become clogged, which affects the flow of blood. This slowing of blood flow can affect the success of your transplant and may even lead to heart disease. It is important to talk to your doctor about how to reduce the risk factors of heart disease, including controlling your cholesterol.

Testing Your Cholesterol Levels
High blood cholesterol itself does not have warning signs or symptoms, and as a result many people are unaware that their
cholesterol level is too high. A lipid profile blood test is recommended to find out your cholesterol numbers. This test gives you information
about your:
•Total cholesterol
•LDL (bad) cholesterol
•HDL (good) cholesterol
•Triglycerides
This info is from: "Staying Healthy With Your New Transplant" http://www.transplantliving.org/afterthetransplant/stayinghealthy/healthconcerns.aspx

News article from 2005:
Statins may help shield organ recipients from heart attack

SATURDAY, Nov. 12 (HealthDay News) -- Giving cholesterol-lowering statin drugs to kidney transplant recipients may reduce their increased risk of heart attack and other cardiovascular events, a Norwegian study found.

"As patients continue to live longer after kidney transplantation, there is an increased need to prevent some of the long-term complications that can develop. One major risk is premature cardiovascular disease, related to high cholesterol levels developing after transplantation," study leader Dr. Hallvard Holdaas of National Hospital in Oslo, said in a prepared statement.

The study included more than 2,100 kidney transplant recipients divided into two groups. One group received the cholesterol-lowering drug fluvastatin for up to eight years, while the other group received a placebo. All the patients in the study had good long-term functioning of their transplanted kidney.

In the group taking fluvastatin, the average level of so-called "bad" low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol decreased from 159 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) to 98 mg/dL. These patients also achieved a 21 percent reduction in their risk of heart attack and other major cardiovascular events, while their combined risk of death from cardiac causes decreased by 29 percent, compared to patients taking the placebo.

Both groups had a similar overall risk of death from all causes and similar rates of long-term survival of the transplanted kidney.

The study was presented Nov. 11 at the American Society of Nephrology annual meeting, in Philadelphia.

There's an article I posted that discusses the Kidney and Heart http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4127.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 02:35:44 AM »

Yep, indeed. Sirolimus is particularly guilty.

Statins are hard to tolerate for some people, so you may need to try some different types to find one that suits you.

Lucky for me, I haven't reach the stage where they want to put me on lipid lowering therapy yet. But I AM on sirolimus.  :(
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »

It is astonishing how few doctors understand this, and how unwilling they are to pay attention to patients who try to convince them that the immunosuppressive drugs they are taking are the cause of the problem, not diet.  My endocrinologist, for example, insists that the reason why my cholesterol doubled from its pre-transplant to its post-transplant level must be because of my high cholesterol diet.  When I explain that immunosuppressive drugs are the cause, and that I eat a very healthy diet with minimal fat content and large amounts of fruits and vegetables, I can see that the explanation goes in one ear and out the other, making no impression at all.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »

Sounds like he's already made his mind up, and is not even willing to listen to you.

My doctors (nephs) told me up front that Sirolimus puts up the cholesterol. However, by the same token, it was never mentioned with any of my other medications.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 06:35:56 AM »

Excellent information okarol.  :2thumbsup; Our GP keeps real good track of Len's labs, Cholesterol and his liver numbers. He has told us that all immunosuppression drugs raise Cholesterol and mess with the liver. Our transplant hospital doesn't even do a Cholesterol test. Go figure.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
MiSSis

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »

Sorry I'm so late in replying to this thread, OKarol.  It's been a rather hectic time around here for my husband and me. 

There's no doubt in my mind that my cardiac problems are due to the immunosuppressant drugs that I took while I had my transplant.  I received my 2nd transplant in 1987 when cyclosporine was quite new and not much known about side effects and nothing about long term side effects.  Although I did ask about them, in hindsight I'm fairly certain that I would not have done anything differently.  I had my first heart attack in April '95.  Although I was given an angiogram, nothing much else was said.  No cardiac rehab, no dietary or medical advice.  In fact, because I was such an a-typical patient (female, 40 yrs old, not overweight, non smoker and non drinker with no immediate family history of heart disease other than high blood pressure), it wasn't until the results came back from the cardiac blood work that I was moved from a regular patient room to the cardiac floor.  No one seriously believed at first that I was truly having a heart attack, including me!  I was given a few weeks off work and then back to life as I'd known it.  That all changed in 1998 (11 years post-transplant).  In the space of 9 months, I'd had two more heart attacks and 4 angioplasties with a total of 6 stents placed.  My cardiologist said he never seen anyone with the severity of coronary artery disease that I had and was still walking around.  Although to be truthful, every step hurt my chest and I was eating sublingual Nitro like candy.  My husband, who saw the before and after pictures from my angiogram, said the vessels looked like the linked sausage or hot dogs that you see in a butchers shop, there were so many blockages.  It was only at this point in time that I was finally put on Zocor, was advised to attend cardiac rehab classes and given the education I needed for treatment.

Today I'd like to be considered for a 3rd transplant but my cardiologist is totally opposed to the idea and doesn't want me to even think about it.  He says we'd be back to the same old thing of angioplasties every six months or so because he says there just hasn't been enough advancement in the anti-rejection medications.  I have to respect his opinion since not only would I probably not be here today except for him and his skills but he also has personal experience.  He just lost his father-in-law, following years of providing him cardiac care following his father-in-law's kidney/pancreas transplant.

It's a difficult situation and one my husband and I think about often.  Some days I'm all for going ahead and at least getting the testing and other days like today, when I'm sitting here with minor pains and pressure in my chest, that I think "you know, things really aren't all that terrible right now".  PD is a pain in the ass but at least I'm still here, relatively healthy and we're still able to get out and do the traveling we like to do.  Do I really want to rock the boat?

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:29:38 PM »

Just picked up my cholesterol test results today. Seems I am doing ok and haven't taken Lipitor since having my transplant. My LDL is on the low side of normal values. Mine is 44 and the range on the page states normal is between 50 - 149.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
cambonesegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »

I was informed that my cholesterol and blood sugar might be a little elevated due to the immunosuppressants. When I was discharged from the hospital after my transplant I was prescribed a medicine for my cholesterol but it was put on hold since my lab results were fine. Till this day I'm not taking anything for my cholesterol, yet......that is. However I did have a problem with my blood sugars, but now that my prednisone has been tapered down it's under better control.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »

It took a long time post-transplant (15 or more years) for my cholesterol to climb and although it still isn't outrageous the triglycerides are on the higher side so I take just 10 mg daily of prevastatin and that's been enough.  I've always been very careful about dietary cholesterol also although my neph is the one who said that the drugs are to blame not diet.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »