I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Kissing with dry mouth/ammonia breath
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kissing with dry mouth/ammonia breath  (Read 6194 times)
kuronekochan

« on: April 02, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »

ever since i started diaysis i've had an extremely dry mouth, with a thick foam having replaced normal liquid saliva. i also occasionally get ammonia breath. naturally, this has greatly diminished my interest in dating anyone, since i can't imagine kissing someone while my mouth is in this state (let alone the issues with the fistula (is that an alien larva in your arm or are you just happy to see me?), skin texture/color (did you just come back from the caribbean? uh, no...), weird body/face shape changes (don't like skinny guys? well, just wait until i drink this gallon of water), etc.). how do people deal with this issue, both technically (mouthwashes, gum, etc.) and emotionally/relationship-wise?
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 11:11:13 PM »

I've never experienced any of these problems. My fistula is in the wrist and virtually invisible. I'm out in the sun a lot and the tan looks normal. Hard candy is good if you have dry mouth.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:14:24 AM »

it is a problem, alot of the spontaneous stuff doesn't happen anymore- but right after we brush our teeth and go to bed its okay...my husband uses the oral sprays that mimic saliva,and the mouthwash when he just wants a refresher- they sell the stuff for drymouth in walmart on the tothpaste isle now.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:00:43 AM »

Look on the bright side.........if you don't like your date you don't have to do anything.

:thx;

devon

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:11:04 AM »

Yeah dating is so much trouble anyway! LOL! 

I don't have any suggestions but I sympathize with your situation and hope you find some method to deal with it!

FWIW... I use Listerine twice a day, morning and night, and rarely have bad breath.  I also add it to my oral-jet that I use. 

-Devon
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 06:34:26 PM »

Come on over to Renalromance.com to join in on similar experiences and dating questions.  It was started by Epoman as a sister site to this one to help with meeting people and dating concerns. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »

Keith chews gum all the time or some kind of candy..
Now i know why..
Honestly.. I never noticed any ammonia smell or otherwise..

I never thought of the alien in your arm thing
probably becuase he took the time to educate me before we
actually met... and introduced me to this site and all these wonderful people here.

Yep.. we met online..

Love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »

When I had ammonia smell or taste, it was because my blood sugar was high and there where keyatones in my body that usualy come out in urine due to diabetes, not dialysis. I never had the dry mouth. I would metion it to your doc that you have this concern to see what they say just to rule out anything and just chalk it up to dialysis.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
keefer51

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 01:50:39 AM »

All that poison left in your body gave me the "death breath" Like mysty said i chew gum and life savers. Any kind of mint helps too. I would suggest to you my friend that the dating scene isn't the same. Just don't give up.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 04:24:45 AM »

I had all the symptoms you mentioned, and they were gross!! I found that for a really quick (though very temporary) fix was to take a sip of water and swish it around. My husband bought me some of those breath strips, but they only made the dry mouth worse. Sucking on some kind of candy usually did help - the fruity life savers were my favorite.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »

Try a mouthwash without alcohol, it can make your mouth feel dryer. Crest Pro health is pretty good.
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 07:14:15 PM »

Are you running a little too dry? My mouth gets really dry if I don't have enough fluid in me. Also, listerine pocket packs are the best thing ever for the odd breath one can get on dialysis.

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »