I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Biohole needle and plug set for buttonhole technique
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biohole needle and plug set for buttonhole technique  (Read 6703 times)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« on: April 23, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »

Does anyone here have any experience with the biohole plug and needle set for establishing buttonholes?  I found a reference to it someplace but don't know if this is only available in Europe. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:08:06 PM »

Read something on it a year or two ago.  Little plastic type collar used to help guide needles to form buttonhole.  At the time it seems like it was available only in Europe.  Cannot even remember who the manufacture was of the product.   Track the manufacture down and one might be able to see if they offer the product in the US through their US supplier now.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »

They are available from Baxter and several other companies.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:06:46 PM »

I have an appointment to tour the self care dialysis unit near me and I'm going to ask them.  The ones I heard about were made by Nipro.  I like the idea that it would only take two weeks to establish buttonholes.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »

Baxter has them listed on their website. The list price is $86 and they come in 15 or 16 gauge.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »

I went to the Baxter website to see what these things looked like, but I could only find the prices.  What exactly do these look like and how do they work?  We established Marvin's buttonholes in one week using a regular sharp 15 gauge needle.  If there's an easier way, I want to know about it because we've heard that buttonholes will "wear out."  Anybody have more details on this?
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:07:28 PM »

I found a pic of them and explanation of use. Can I post the website or not?

Basically it looks like a little plastic peg which you insert AFTER you are done with treatment and it stays in there kinda like a "place holder." You take it out to put the needles in when you need to have dialysis and replace it when you're done until the buttonhole is established.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »

please post the website -- I want to see
MIbarra
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »

I found a LONG word processing document that seems to be from a medical dialysis conference. I've copied and pasted the reference to the biohole peg.

"Buttonhole cannulation technique is a method of cannulation of native arterio-venous fistulae traditionally practiced by self cannulators. At St. Michael’s Hospital this method has been modified to allow its use in problematic fistulae by multiple cannulators. The need for a few cannulators to establish the tunnel tracks and the variable dialysis schedules creates logistic challenges for the creation of buttonholes in a busy unit. We evaluated the time saving method to create tunnel tracks for buttonhole cannulation described by Toma et al. In this method, a polycarbonated peg, the BioHole device, is inserted along the path of the recently removed dialysis needle. Using this technique, the development of the tunnel track is facilitated by the indwelling peg between treatments."

This is the URL for the picture I found.

http://www.buttonhole.nl/Biohole%20Small.pdf

kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:53 PM »

It only took a week to establish my buttonholes, using a sharp for only 5-6 times before being able to use the buttonhole needles.  I don't know why they are saying it takes 2 weeks. ??

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »

interesting...very interesting
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 06:50:19 PM »

Thanks for all your replies and comments and also that link.  I saw my vascular surgeon today and the nurse.  They are pleased with my fistula as it's only been 10 days and its developing nicely already.  I asked the nurse about the biohole and plug business and she was very helpful.  I'm going to visit a self-care dialysis unit next week and when the time comes they've said they'll try to get someone to teach me the buttonhole.  They don't do it at the Toronto General, nor do they usually do it at the self-care facility but the nurse said the team will get me linked to someone that knows about it.  My guess is that the literature says 2 weeks so people won't be disappointed if their buttonholes take longer than 5-6 times to establish but I'm just guessing.
They've told me that they won't train me for home hemo unless I'm going to be on for a year minimum so my plan is to do self-care and try to talk them into making an exception if I do really well.  I'm also very aware that although I have potential donors going to be tested, there are no guarantees so I'm planning for the longer term.  I always hope for the best but kind of expect the worst.  I don't even know at this point if we have Nxstage in Canada but gotta take it one thing at a time.  Dialysis was a wild and trippy thing back almost 30 years ago when I was on for 5 long years.  I'm intrigued by the biohole plugs.  Actually the name cracks me up for some reason.  Proof positive that I've got to get out more.  Can't you just see shouting at some tech "Oh for heavens sake go shove a plug in your biohole"  Hmmm on the other hand maybe that's what they'll be shouting at me. :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
MIbarra
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »

"Oh for heavens sake go shove a plug in your biohole"  Hmmm on the other hand maybe that's what they'll be shouting at me. :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! I needed that... It's been a LONG week.

=)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »