I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Very scarey, but why
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very scarey, but why  (Read 7022 times)
Yvonne

Yvonne

« on: April 29, 2008, 10:14:47 AM »

:oops;
We were quite worried about John last night, as went to empty his bag ( he has a urostomy) he had blood in the urine. We connected him up to the overnight bag and this morning the bag was full of blood.  I rang the renal unit and they said they had never heard of that happening but we will take a closer look at him tomorrow.  It seems to be alright now, so can't think what has happened.

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »

That sounds very worrying indeed.  Keep us updated if they find out what caused it.  I like the new photo of you and John together.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:52:26 AM »

what i don't understand is why they will "check it out" tomorrow. it sounds to me like something that needs to be checked out today! if it were me i'd be calling the doctor and heading to the er.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »

Call the doc and get it looked at soon.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:50:34 PM »

I agree, blood means bleeding somewhere it shouldn't be. I would go to the ER and camp out until they got me some answers.

Please let us know what's up! :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 06:55:14 PM »

Yikes, that does sound scary.
I hope they get it figured out soon. Don't drop the ball on this one.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »

Please update us as soon as possible. Prayers for John  :grouphug;
Gramapat

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »

Hi,
I also have a urostomy.  I've had it for 14 years.  Has John never had any blood in his bag before?  The stoma bleeds very easily and even a very little bit of blood will look like a lot when mixed with urine.  Sometimes when I change my bag, my stoma bleeds but usually quits in a short time.  Also once in awhile I will get a small blood clot from the stoma in my bag and it will look like a lot of blood when actually it is just the urine mixing with the blood clot.

There is usually no need for concern if the blood in the bag doesn't continue.  You can tell if it really is a lot of blood rather than a little blood mixed with urine.  A lot of blood will be very dark red rather than red that you can see through.  If it continues, please see a stoma nurse rather than ask at the renal unit.  The renal unit is really not familiar with ostomies.

I'll be interested to know what happens.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:26:14 PM »

Fingers crossed for you both, you've both been through enough.  Please let us know how it goes.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 06:33:03 AM »

I will agree the renal unit does not have clue about urostomies.  If one more person in a hospital comes into my room and asks to see it I am going to clobber someone. :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »

Hi  John had to go to the renal hospital on Wednesday to have his fistula checked out.  We asked then to do a blood test and a urine test because of the problem with blood in his urine. No one was interested in the urine side said we had to go to the Stoma nurse.  I phone up the Stoma nurse and she said I would have to go to our Dr. Phoned up the Dr. and he said bring John down for a urine test, I said he only had one taken yesterday, so he said then phone them up for the results. I did this and they said as they didn't think it was urgent it was going to take 2 days to come back.  Got back to the Dr. and he said he would put him on Cefalexin just in case it's an infection. We are really worried but no one else seems to be just got to wait for results.  John will not go to hospital says I am better than any nurse but that doesn't help me. I'll let you no how we get on   Yvonne

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 01:22:58 PM »

I feel bad for John.  It shouldn't be this hard to get answers.  I hope someone figures it out soon.  You're in my thoughts :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 03:08:55 AM »

Hi  John had to go to the renal hospital on Wednesday to have his fistula checked out.  We asked then to do a blood test and a urine test because of the problem with blood in his urine. No one was interested in the urine side said we had to go to the Stoma nurse.  I phone up the Stoma nurse and she said I would have to go to our Dr. Phoned up the Dr. and he said bring John down for a urine test, I said he only had one taken yesterday, so he said then phone them up for the results. I did this and they said as they didn't think it was urgent it was going to take 2 days to come back.  Got back to the Dr. and he said he would put him on Cefalexin just in case it's an infection. We are really worried but no one else seems to be just got to wait for results.  John will not go to hospital says I am better than any nurse but that doesn't help me. I'll let you no how we get on   Yvonne
i find  it  rather  amusing  that  the  patients  and  co:  have  to  do  all  the  chasing  when  theres  queries  about  tests  and  the  like,nobody  gives  a  *&*(  they  only  concerned  if  your  flat  out  on  the  floor  then  they"ll  think  about  doing  something.
you  just  want  to   :Kit n Stik; some  common  sense  into  these  people.

Edited: corrected smiley error-kitkatz, moderator
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 10:09:49 PM by kitkatz » Logged

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »

Just a quick update on John. He is feeling a lot better and only a little blood loss now.  So I think although we has no results back on the urine tests, it must of been an infection.  He was given antibiotics to last him 5 days, that's to take us just over the Bank holiday, then we must make an appointment at the Dr. if we can get in.  You have to phone at 8.30 in the morning and put in a Que, if your lucky by the time you get the operator you may get an appointment, but the chances of that happening is very rare, so you do the same thing the next day until  :bow;

annabanana

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 06:46:35 AM »

Mrs. John, I'm glad he's feeling better! But your situation with making an appt. sounds HORRIBLE!

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »

Okay...I had a urostomy pouch for 33 years.  Now that I have been on dialysis for nine and a half years, this year I have gray urine, sometimes bloody discharge in it. I think I am going to have to call the doc.

lifenotonthelist.com

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »

Please do Kit and let us know what the deal is with that.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:54 PM »

Hi  The blood has cleared up in John's urine, but after a test shows he still has an infection. The doctor thinks he was allergic to the first lot of medicine, bought him out in a skin break out , still has it very itchy and bleeding. also very swollen. roll on Friday when he has his tests at the QA

Roadrunner

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 05:42:37 AM »

I know how you feel!

My husband had blood in his urine about 2 months ago.  Called the doctor and he said come in for a urine test.  It showed no infection and the bleeding seemed to stop so he suggested we should see a urologist and have it checked out.  Meanwhile he starts bleeding again for a few days.

The urologist said this is fairly common with dialysis patients but we should have a cat scan and an internal exam just to be sure there was no growth.  Both turned up nothing but the urologist said to come back in 3 months for another checkup.  So far no more bleeds. 

I think this is not very common among dialysis patients but it is common to the urologist who probably sees many dialysis patients with blood in their urine.

Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 11:08:40 PM »

Hi Roadrunner   But John is not on dialysis yet, he has the fistula ready. We didn't think to go to his urologist, It's clear again now so roll on Friday when he has an appointment at the renal unit Thanks for all your wishes  Yvonne

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »