I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:06:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Protecting Arm Veins
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Protecting Arm Veins  (Read 4866 times)
Black
Elite Member

« on: May 03, 2006, 03:58:01 PM »

My husband went in to have blood drawn today at the hospital outpatient clinic. When he told the tech to drawn blood from his hand, she refused!!  :o After a discussion in which she claimed expertise and experience in the hospital's dialysis unit, my husband called me to confirm why he should not let her take it from his arm. I explained again that since he has blood drawn frequently he should not have the needle sticks in his arms which could cause scarring in the veins and could make using them for dialysis difficult or impossible. He told me later that the tech was very irritated, threatened to call his doctor, (After my husband told her, "Go ahead." she left to room briefly to call the Neph, but was not gone long enough to have done so.) and insisted that "just drawing blood is not a problem", then she countered with, "It's going to hurt more."  When he finally told her, "It's my hand or nothing.  Either draw it or I'm leaving." she reluctantly complied.

I called the hospital. After being on hold,  >:( transferred a few times, >:(  and speaking with the director of the lab,  >:(  I finally spoke w/ the person in charge of treatment guidelines and policies compliance. According to her, the hospital policy is to use the arm veins with the only restriction being to avoid any A/V access area.  >:( :o :( >:( She said if my husband wanted his hand used the Neph would need to put that in the draw order.  >:( When I asked her why they didn't follow the guidelines recommended by the NKF, she said my doctor would have to put that question in writing. When I asked for the the person's name to whom the letter should be addressed she reluctantly gave it to me.

Is anyone surprised that I'm not going to ask anyone to write, and that I'm going to do it myself?   :) >:D

Despite being angry and frustrated I was very polite and professional, and made a great effort to be non-irritating and non-confrontational. My first letter will be in that same tone.  I'll post when I get an answer as to why they aren't following the NKF 2000 guidelines.

I'm continually shocked by the callous disregard for the critical importance of protecting vascular access.  How can they not realize that  dialysis, which is a life or death choice, must have a useable access site and the possibilities are not unlimited? ??? >:(

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:01:09 PM »

Black, you go for it.  I bet any Vascular Surgeon would support your directive.  I would have left anyway.  Never make a person with a needle in their hand mad at you before you get stuck!   >:D

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:03:49 PM »

My husband went in to have blood drawn today at the hospital outpatient clinic. When he told the tech to drawn blood from his hand, she refused!!  :o After a discussion in which she claimed expertise and experience in the hospital's dialysis unit, my husband called me to confirm why he should not let her take it from his arm. I explained again that since he has blood drawn frequently he should not have the needle sticks in his arms which could cause scarring in the veins and could make using them for dialysis difficult or impossible. He told me later that the tech was very irritated, threatened to call his doctor, (After my husband told her, "Go ahead." she left to room briefly to call the Neph, but was not gone long enough to have done so.) and insisted that "just drawing blood is not a problem", then she countered with, "It's going to hurt more."  When he finally told her, "It's my hand or nothing.  Either draw it or I'm leaving." she reluctantly complied.

I called the hospital. After being on hold,  >:( transferred a few times, >:(  and speaking with the director of the lab,  >:(  I finally spoke w/ the person in charge of treatment guidelines and policies compliance. According to her, the hospital policy is to use the arm veins with the only restriction being to avoid any A/V access area.  >:( :o :( >:( She said if my husband wanted his hand used the Neph would need to put that in the draw order.  >:( When I asked her why they didn't follow the guidelines recommended by the NKF, she said my doctor would have to put that question in writing. When I asked for the the person's name to whom the letter should be addressed she reluctantly gave it to me.

Is anyone surprised that I'm not going to ask anyone to write, and that I'm going to do it myself?   :) >:D

Despite being angry and frustrated I was very polite and professional, and made a great effort to be non-irritating and non-confrontational. My first letter will be in that same tone.  I'll post when I get an answer as to why they aren't following the NKF 2000 guidelines.

I'm continually shocked by the callous disregard for the critical importance of protecting vascular access.  How can they not realize that  dialysis, which is a life or death choice, must have a useable access site and the possibilities are not unlimited? ??? >:(

AWESOME! I'm so proud of you.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:56:57 PM »

When I was in hospital a while ago, I needed to have blood taken and get a cannula inserted. This young registrar asked me at least 5 times, can I just please use the fistula?? It took another staff member to say NOO, before he got it. I think because I was just a patient, that he didnt beleive me.
I am awful to get blood out of, the pathology ladies love me  ;D
Its good at least being at home I can take my own post bloods. But what a rigmorole it was to get the blood tubes. There was a new chick working at the pathology and she was so completely rude to me. It took me telling her at least 5 times, why I needed the blood tubes, and when I would be coming in for testing, and when I would do it at home myself. She even spoke to the nurse at our unit and she still didnt get it. Have never come across someone so rude before. She said to me you shouldnt be coming here to get the tubes, they should be supplying them to you as they have given you the blood forms, so they should have the tubes as well. OMGGGG. I will never go back there again. Have found another pathology with lovely ladies.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 12:57:40 PM »

Did you ever get a reply to your letter?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 12:01:14 AM »

I have been told that no one can take ANY blood from my fistula arm at all. They can only use my right arm for bloodwork and blood pressure. I am curious about the reply to that letter myself.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kevno

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »

To late for me always had blood taken from fistula arm. All my veins in my other arm are shot at, because of a Venus loop fistula I had put in when I was 10 years old. Plus no veins in feet, plus would never let them anywhere near my feet for taking blood. Now no veins in my right arm now, so if any blood needs taking. The nurses take the blood, from the caths in my neck. NOT RECOMMENDED >:( Big chance of infection. When they do take blood from the caths in my neck. I keep a very close check on how they are doing it. If I feel they are not doing it right, THEY GET TOLD >:(

OK! Rerun I know what you are thinking. You can not get blood from a stone. I will get it in before you ;D >:( ;)

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Panda_9

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 03:33:20 AM »

You arent supposed to let anyone touch your fistula unless it is for dialysis, or in case of an emergency. I wouldnt be letting them use your fistula kevno in case you ever need to use it again. If they are any good at taking blood they will find a vein somewhere! I know its awful when they start using your feet, but if it saves sticking the fistula, then your better off. I dont have the best veins either, plus they arent aloud to touch my forearm on the non fistula side, incase they need to put a fistula in there. I usually get blood out of my elbow, foot, or if they are reaaallly good they can get it out of my hand. But forget putting a cannula in my hand, it just doesnt happen!
kevno

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 02:25:07 PM »

You did not quite get what I said Amber. My veins have calcified in both lower legs so NO blood can be got from both feet. The fistula I had put in, in the 70's was a big operation for a small ten year old. They took a vein out of my leg. Which left a scar from my groin to my knee. The vein was put in my left arm. So that fistula messed up the veins in that arm. The Consultant Renal vascular Surgeon, used my fistula to get blood. After 34years of blood taking, you will find out what happens to your veins. In the 70's, 80's they did not used to bother which arm to use. It was the easiest to get blood from. They only did not use the fistula arm in the 90's. But by that time, for me, it was to late. Had every test done now to see it another fistula or a graph can be done to form another fistula. I have seen the best surgeons in England. I have been told my veins are to weak. All I can use is a two inch stretch of a 1980 fistula. But all I use now are the lines in my neck. The two lines I have in now, have lasted since October 2003.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 11:17:59 PM »

Even after 12 years of blood taking I know what happens to veins  :-\
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 01:00:58 AM »

You did not quite get what I said Amber. My veins have calcified in both lower legs so NO blood can be got from both feet. The fistula I had put in, in the 70's was a big operation for a small ten year old. They took a vein out of my leg. Which left a scar from my groin to my knee. The vein was put in my left arm. So that fistula messed up the veins in that arm. The Consultant Renal vascular Surgeon, used my fistula to get blood. After 34years of blood taking, you will find out what happens to your veins. In the 70's, 80's they did not used to bother which arm to use. It was the easiest to get blood from. They only did not use the fistula arm in the 90's. But by that time, for me, it was to late. Had every test done now to see it another fistula or a graph can be done to form another fistula. I have seen the best surgeons in England. I have been told my veins are to weak. All I can use is a two inch stretch of a 1980 fistula. But all I use now are the lines in my neck. The two lines I have in now, have lasted since October 2003.

Kevno
Ya how things have changed. Sometimes when newer patients start they don't realize this.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »