I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 03:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  just have a question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: just have a question  (Read 2069 times)
frazzled

« on: March 29, 2008, 10:55:24 AM »

Awhile back my husband wasn't feeling well after dialysis, he asked me to help him to the bedroom, I tried, but all of a sudden he just dropped, he was out cold for a few seconds and disoriented when he came too, i called the 24hr. nurse hotline, she said that happens sometime when too much fluid is removed, to have him sipp a Little broth for the sodium to bring his blood pressure back up, then he would be fine. It worked, but it scared me so bad.My question is..if that is what's meant by "crashed"?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:06:02 AM »

Crashed means when the blood pressure drops so far that you lose consciousness. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:06:47 AM »

Sounds like his BP dropped pretty low. Do you have a BP machine at home. If so you can check to see how low he was but my main concern is why did the dialysis center let him go. Because it had to be pretty low there also....Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »

I agree with Boxman. My center would not let you go unless your systolic was above 100.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:46:03 AM »

geez ,  i'd  never  get  home  my  systolic,  most  time  sits  in  the  90s  or  lower  when  i  get  off.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:04:28 AM »

yeah sounds like an extreme crash to me. I've crashed but always stayed conscious. My unit always make sure you're OK to go if something like that happens. They check BP's, make you have a drink etc to get the BP up and make sure you're ok if there's any concern.

It's good you were helping hubby so he didn't fall on his own and potentially injure himself.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »

but my main concern is why did the dialysis center let him go. Because it had to be pretty low there also....Boxman

Believe it or not, there are some clinics that "move them in -- move them out" like cattle.  If someone's not in the chair, they're not making any money.  Sad fact but too often true.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »

My center also requires systolic >100 before you leave. They will usually elevate the feet until it comes up. I never had any problems after a permanent dry weight was established but I seldom gain weight between treatments.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »