I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Best Institution In Michigan for Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Institution In Michigan for Transplant  (Read 2427 times)
IrishGirl

« on: April 01, 2008, 06:13:03 PM »

Can anyone recommend the best place to have a transplant in Michigan? I think the most votes
have come for Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and U of M in Ann Arbor. We want somewhere that has
very good outcomes and of course who does the "most" in terms of numbers. Any suggestions?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:34:33 PM »

I'm at U of M.  It's the only one around that has much experience in kidney/pancreas transplants.  I'm pretty sure they have the highest numbers in Michigan as well.  I was told Grand Rapids was a lost cause, since they take forever to get anyone on their list.  If you are far enough downstate, you might want to consider double listing in Ohio.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »

You can get quantity information for individual centers in your state at the UNOS web site:
http://www.unos.org/data/about/viewDataReports.asp

Quality?  ??? Sorry, can't help you on that.

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
lamillinger913

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »

I have had both of my kidney transplants at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. One in 1980 and one just this January. I have never had a problem with the nephs, and my surgeon was terrific. I have also heard that U-M is excellent. If you are on the west side of the state, you might want to consider also getting listed in Wisconsin --- U of W at Madison has an excellent program.   :twocents;

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
IrishGirl

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:04:17 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually this board is so helpful I just get one question answered when I think of another. The kindness and generosity and willingness of people to help always amazes me. I had no idea that PKD would strike my whole family, its very overwhelming to me. Not just siblings, but kids, everyone.....but I guess being prepared will help. Several people I talked to at my work suggested St John Hospital in Detroit which is not terribly far away so its another option. IrishGirl
Jill D.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »

U of M definitely has a great transplant program and is also a research hospital...I know for years they have been working on developing an artificial kidney.
For my initial transplant evaluation my doctor gave me a choice between U of M and St. Mary's in Grand Rapids. I asked the nurses what they thought and they felt that St. Mary's was much easier to deal with, were more responsive and had a good program. I checked the numbers (number of transplants per year and yearly graft data) and they both were good. I did not have any other health issues except my kidney disease (and at that time my GFR was 15 and I was still feeling quite well.) I Chose St. Mary's and I felt they had a good transplant program and the staff was awesome. I had 2 days of evaluation in Nov 2003, was quickly approved for the transplant and my sister was approved as a donor at St. Mary's in Jan 2004. However, 1 1/2 years later when the docs felt the time was right for the transplant it was determined that my PRA was very high and I needed a positive crossmatch transplant which GR definitely could not handle. U of M probably could have done the surgery but I chose Mayo CLinic since they had done more of these transplants than anyone in the US.
I did find that St. Mary's was much stricter on criteria for donors than what I have heard about U of M. This could be good or bad, depending on the situation.
Has your neph given you any recommendations?

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
IrishGirl

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »

I have gotten several "NO" votes from the medical community on Grand Rapids but no specifics on reasons why. I have been told Mayo, U of M are the 2 best.
Jill D.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »

That's interesting - I wonder why. l I know is that ultimately I am soooo glad I went to Mayo!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »