I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:24:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Arrghhh not again!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arrghhh not again!!  (Read 3702 times)
Panda_9

« on: June 18, 2006, 05:01:43 PM »

The other night my water "appeared" pink. I must of tested it about 10 times. So I put the carbon filters in, and water was clear as a bell. Now I bet they come out tommorow to test it and it will be fine as usual  >:(  I wish we could have digital testers, it would save me alot of stress  :-\
kevno

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »

Sounds interesting :) I wish I knew what you were talking about :-\

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Panda_9

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:07:19 AM »

Im talking about testing the water for chlorine, which we do before each treatment. How do you test yours?
BTW problem is hopefully fixed, had someone come out to change out one of the tanks, fingers crossed its ok.
kevno

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:39:11 AM »

Never had to check the water for chlorine. Used bags at home when I was on CAPD. Plus always been on haemo at the hospital. So never needed to check the water.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Bear

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:58:17 PM »

Ah yes, Kev, one of the little downsides of H.H.D. is looking after the stuff - have to water check each time b4 going on.
Clean the machine. Dialox the R.O. (twice weekly here because of climate). Store away boxes'n'boxes of stock (I had a
delivery yesterday) and move existing stock around so you're using it in order...et al.
But we wouldn't swap for in-center for worlds, eh Amber??  ;D

(Amber & I trained in the same place - P.A. Hospital Brisbane Qld. Oz)

waves...Bear
Panda_9

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 03:43:29 AM »

Bear, it doesn't matter how many ups n downs I have, you will have to pull my arm off to get me back in-centre for dialysis!!!  ;D
I have actually been very stressed out and worried lately. Had a few chlorine breakthroughs, and went flat while i was in home training doing nocturnal!! I have no idea why it happened, as Ive been reaching my dry weight fine. So now I'm really paranoid about going flat on the machine, so I don't sleep well as I'm constantly worried about it. Ive started setting my alarm for an hour before the machine finishes, so that way I can keep an eye on my BP towards the end of treatment. I have said a few times Ive had enough and need a break, but I just push myself along, it is hard, but you lose all freedom when you go back incentre.
I get a months supply at a time, usually leave most of it in the garage, and put what I'm using in the cupboard. Ive got a whole room just for dialysis so it makes things easier, and also gives me a way of closing the doors on dialysis for at least a day  :D
I dialox once a week, wonder why yours is twice a week? Must be different for fresenius. Now we have been told to backwash the carbons before each treatment, which is kind of a pain, as I usually forget  :-\
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 08:27:54 AM »

Now we have been told to backwash the carbons before each treatment, which is kind of a pain, as I usually forget

Backwashing is very important if you don't want breakthrough.  I don't know if the theory of operation was explained to you but here is our official version of it.

A carbon filter is used to remove the chlorine and chloramine compounds by chemically reacting with them (The Carbon absorbs the chlorine and chloramines).  The chlorine and chloramines are converted to chloride while the carbon is converted to carbon dioxide.  Incoming water passes over the granular activated carbon media inside the tank, then flows up through a tube in the center.   During this process, the carbon filter bed also filters out organics and dirt.  The water causes the bed to pack down and may start creating channels in the bed.  The carbon tank is backwashed every night to lift the carbon and flush the dirt and debris to the drain and removes the channeling (This is for in center mind you).

The chlorine and chloramines are never released by the carbon.  Backwashing just mixes it all around so newer, fresher carbon can be brought to the surface.  Once the carbon has absorbed all the chlorine and chloramines it can you will get breakthrough no matter how many times you backwash the tanks and the carbon has to be removed and replaced.  In a home environment the tanks are relatively small and would probably just be replaced and repaired at facility somewhere.

It's not easy being green.
Panda_9

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »

Thanks for that info hawkeye, I wasnt aware that the backwashing was related to the channeling. Ive never really asked. We do backwash each tank for 15 after every second Dx. The backwashing for a few minutes before Dx, is simply to flush out the stagnant water, to reduce bacteria. For our setup, we have 2 big carbon tanks, and also 2 little filter housings the same as you would use for household drinking, which contain 2 little material looking filters, which are changed regularly.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 07:26:02 AM »

Thanks for that info hawkeye, I wasnt aware that the backwashing was related to the channeling. Ive never really asked.

Glad I could help.  Anything else you want to know?

It's not easy being green.
Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 05:48:42 PM »

Not reallythanks, if I dont know something I just ring the nurses.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »