I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 09:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Convenience foods high in sodium
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Convenience foods high in sodium  (Read 1435 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:32 PM »

Convenience foods high in sodium

Kathy Warwick • Special to The Clarion-Ledger • February 5, 2008

Last week I discussed ways to prevent heart disease with diet tips for heart healthy eating. Several readers had questions about reducing sodium in the diet for better blood pressure control. If you have ever tried to cut back on sodium, you know how difficult it can be. Sodium occurs naturally in many foods and is present in greater amounts in some condiments and seasonings.
Advertisement

For those with high blood pressure, most experts recommend limiting sodium to 2,300 to 3,000 mg a day. Research suggests about half of the population is sensitive to sodium and eating too much will raise their blood pressure. People with diabetes seem to be more sensitive to sodium. Perhaps the most common source of sodium in our diets is table salt. Table salt is a mixture of the two minerals, sodium and chloride. One teaspoon of salt contains about 2,400 mg of sodium.

Sea salt has become popular, but there is no health advantage to using sea salt, and it still contains a lot of sodium. Additionally, sea salt may not contain iodine, which is a mineral important for thyroid health. Iodine is added to table salt. Cooking without adding salt can significantly reduce sodium intake. Salt substitutes are a mixture of the two minerals potassium and chloride. These are good alternatives to table salt but those with kidney disease or difficulty regulating blood levels of potassium should talk to their doctor first. Using too much salt substitute can make food bitter, so use a light sprinkle at the table and taste foods before adding any more.

One thing to keep in mind is most convenience foods contain more sodium. The less you have to do to prepare the food for eating, the more sodium it usually contains. Canned soups and frozen dinners are good examples. Read the nutrition label to get the full story. Remember, nutrition labels tell the amount of sodium in one serving, so check the serving size. For example, a can of condensed chicken noodle soup may list 580 mg of sodium, but the can states there are two servings per can. If I eat the whole can of chicken noodle soup for lunch, so that means I will get 1,160 mg of sodium before I add any crackers to the meal.

Look for "no salt added" on canned vegetables or purchase fresh or frozen vegetables without sauce. Foods that are labeled "reduced sodium" or "low sodium" can be good alternatives.

Experiment with herbs, fresh garlic, lemon juice and wine to add flavor without extra sodium. There are many salt-free seasoning mixtures available such as Mrs. Dash and reduced-sodium versions of soy sauce and salad dressings. Learning to live without salt is easier if you gradually cut back and add flavor to food with seasoning alternatives.

Kathy Warwick is a registered dietitian, certified diabetes educator and nutrition consultant. Write her in care of HealthScene, The Clarion-Ledger, Box 40, Jackson MS 39205-0040, or e-mail kwarwick@canufly.net.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080205/COL0803/802050323/1292/health

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »

Vinegar is also a good substitute for the salt flavor. Also rinsing canned vegetables before cooking can GREATLY reduce the sodium.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »

I had heard that sea salt was high in potassium making it just as bad for us as regular table salt. We can't win there can we? 

Oh well. I cook with olive oil too, that's not a bad thing, is it, does anyone know?
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »

I believe Olive Oil is fine...just don't fry with it, it burns at relatively low temps!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »

No worries there! No fried foods (except fries!) for me!!!

I like to cook with olive oil, it really does taste better, to me!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »