I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Broken hearts over healthcare
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Broken hearts over healthcare  (Read 1295 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: February 04, 2008, 11:39:29 PM »

Broken hearts over healthcare

Lori Clark
Tuesday February 05, 2008

After 56 years of marriage a couple has separated.
Evelyn Howatt and her husband Glen have been together more than half a century. Now the couple, both in their 80’s has been separated, not by divorce or boredom but by the David Thompson Health Region (DTHR).
In October of 2007, both Mr. and Mrs. Howatt became patients of the Drayton Valley Health Care Centre. “Mom fell ill in October and Dad’s kidney gave out in that month and he has to be on permanent dialysis,” says daughter Barb Seely.
Up until January of this year, the couple has shared the same room at the hospital waiting for other placement. The Howatt children knew the time had come that their parents would not be returning home. “Mom is now in the first stage of dementia,” says Seely. “Dad has kidney disease with deterioted eyesight as well.” The kids had hoped their parents would still be together in extended care but that isn’t the case.
According to Seely, the David Thompson Health Region determined that Mr. Howatt would be placed in extended care but Mrs. Howatt is not ‘physically needy enough’ to be with her husband in that facility.
The Howatt children refused to separate their parents. “They complement each other,” says Seely. “Dad reminds Mom about what she forgets and Mom reads to Dad.”

The children banded together and presented their case to the appeals board of the DTHR in Red Deer. They lost their appeal and last week they had to move their mom into Serenity House.
Elaine McFadden, communications director for the DTHR says, “Drayton Valley is one area where the pressure for continuing care beds is high.” According to McFadden, the DTHR does have double accommodations. “We try to keep couples together,” she says. McFadden points out that if a bed becomes available, it can offer the chance to reunite a couple. “In a situation like Drayton Valley it will likely take longer to accommodate couples staying together.”
“I understand their reasoning,” says Seely. “The province is very limited on continuing care beds.” Still, the Howatt children feel for their parents. “How many people have been married for 56 years?” asks Seely. “Why does the healthcare system feel they can split them up?”
Seely doesn’t despise the system, she wants to see changes. “I’m not out to attack them,” she says. “But couples shouldn’t be forced apart.”
Seely points out that both Drayton Valley facilities are good. “Serenity House is a wonderful place. I wouldn’t mind seeing my parents in either place, as long as they’re together.”
Seely believes all healthcare systems should have a place for couples who don’t want to be apart. “We don’t have anywhere in our health region that allows people to stay together.”
Although the two facilities are in close proximity, it doesn’t help Seely’s parents. “My dad can’t walk over to where my mom is and mom can’t go anywhere on her own.”
Seely has spoken with other people in the same situation. “If this is happening to more people, why hasn’t something been created for couples?”
The family has researched lodges, but those facilities can’t accommodate her dad’s need for permanent dialysis. Private home nursing is out of the question due to the high cost.
All three children are heartbroken over the situation. “My dad is depressed,” says Seely. “It bothers him every day.” Mrs. Howatts’ dementia leads to a different set of circumstances. “Mom doesn’t understand,” says Seely. “She wonders why Dad isn’t there and believes they’re just going to go home.”

http://www.draytonvalleywesternreview.com/Top%20Stories/373499.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:43:19 AM »

Sad how 2 parents can take care of 5 kids, but those 5 cant take care of either parents. I dont know how anyone could  ship their parents off to a nursing home, no matter how sick they become  :twocents;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »