I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:18:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Pure Flow & Batch Making
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pure Flow & Batch Making  (Read 4881 times)
Northerner

« on: January 20, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »

Does anyone know if I could take the pureflow box, the big ass black box, and put in the basement and just have the controller in the dialysis room with patient? 
I would like to try this but don't know if it is something that could be done.  The problem would be convincing someone it could be done so you could get a longer green line from the Dialysate bag to cartridge.  Would be nice to get that noisy thing out of the patient’s room.
Any thoughts?
silverhead

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:25:53 PM »

My thought would be that the "pump" would not be able to push the fluid uphill with enough pressure to work effectively if it was in a lower floor, perhaps a re-design, but doubt that they would do so because of low demand.
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »

Northerner,
Welcome to IHD could you please post an introduction in the introduce yourself thread? It would be nice to know who we are talking with.

Sluff/ Admin
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »

The NxStage sits on top of the pureflow - if you take it out of the space, you just have to find another big piece of furniture to set it on, don't you?  To split the two, you'd need new longer tubing, a MUCH stronger pump, and a set of very long power and communication cords to connect the control unit to the different parts of the pureflow.  It doesn't seem very practical. It is noisy, but any pump is going to be a bit noisy.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:41:53 PM by jbeany » Logged

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:14:38 AM »

We have our setup right next to our bed and two things help.
  • When we are not using the Pure flow we hit the stop button which places it in pause mode.  After about 1/2 hour it gets quiet but it make a 5 second noise every hour or so.  Haven't found anything that makes it quiet while filling or draining.  After three treatments we have to drain it but that only takes 15 minutes because there is not much water left.  It is programmed to run 3 hours but you can hear the sound change when it is empty, hit stop and do the final flush.  If you don't want to wait you can turn the machine off after it is in drain and when you turn it on again it will tell you there was a power outage and do you want to continue.
  • The noise that drives me crazy is the sound of the NxStage computer fan.  Every night I need to pull the plug on the NxStage and then plug it in again before the next treatment.  What a pain.  I am in my seventies and twice a day I have to get on the floor behind the machine to fiddle with the plug or else not sleep.

Hope this helps.

Roadrunner
Northerner

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I spoke with NxStage about moving to basement and they didn't say it wouldn't work but recommended not moving to basement so monitoring during treatment would not be so difficult.
silverhead

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »

Roadrunner, get one of the multiple outlet devices that have a on-off switch, plug it in the wall and the NxStage into the device,  put it in a handy place and then all you have to do i reach over, flip the switch and quiet once again comes to the bedroom (at least that is what I do)

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 02:09:14 PM »

Thanks,

I've trying to avoid that.  I have so many wires around the room now I don't want any more visible.  I have the NxStage plugged into a strip now along with the PureFlow.  I'm not sure what they are but I have 3 plugs in the strip.  I think 2 are NxStage and 1 is PureFlow.  If I turn off the strip I will be turning off all 3 and I need to keep the Pure Flow on.  I hate to put a strip on the strip.  I guess I will have to struggle with pulling out the plug behind the machine or moving the strip to where it is more accessible.

Roadrunner
silverhead

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:41:20 PM »

The PureFlow unit uses a cord from the Cycler down to the PureFlow, I removed that cord and replaced it with a cord direct to the outlet (it is the same type cord as used by computers and printers) I would plug the Pureflow directly into the wall outlet, and the Cycler on the multi unit with the on-off switch within easy reach.....
Hope this makes sense
Tom

Roadrunner

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 08:08:37 AM »

Silverhead, I have that plug plugged into the strip.  I can't plug it into the other outlet since the condo wired each outlet so that one plug works from wall switch and the other is always on.  The strip is always on and I'm afraid to use the other  outletbecause we turn the lights on and off with the wall switch and I am afraid I will accidentally turn it off at the wrong time.

I will figure something out.  I am going to try to find a cord with a switch that I can plug into the strip then plug the computer into that.  I have a good electric shop close by that I think can solve this problem.  Perhaps they can even put a switch in the cord. Worth whatever it costs.

Roadrunner
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »