I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 10:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  my thoughts and decision
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my thoughts and decision  (Read 3790 times)
southyard

« on: October 15, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »

A bit back I posted that was palnning on quiting dialysis. I have not changed that and everyday I take itI feel more thyan ever the decision is for me.  I will tho keep my word that I would give it 6 monthand that will be up March 8th.  All my family and friends still alive(3) plus neighbors have been advised of this.  The reason for the few friends is that I have out lived all the rest

The recession we are about to go into is something I had predicted and went through with my parents. I had been with my mother when the banks were cloed in 1928 and can recall he crying and all that. We survived with the help of my Grandmother and family. Mother took jobs cleaning houses for people for 50 cts a day. Think the people today could do it.  I dont and we will have people jumping off bridges and buildings in dispair. Excuse my ranting pls.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

You're older than I thought, Southyard. My father was a young boy during the depression but he always vividly remembered my grandfather working the the sawmill for 50 cents a day. I guess that's why he was always so frugal.

The lady who is one of my closest friends at dialysis often talks about quitting but I don't think she will. She's 88 and still lives in her own house. (she does spend the nights with her granddaughter next door). She skips about one treatment per week and it doesn't seem to bother her too much. I call her "Sunshine" because she brightens my day. She has some interesting stories about the depression and how tough it was. I just hope I'm still around when I'm that age.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »

Younger people need to listen to their forefathers, especially those who have lived through the depression. No better teacher than experience. See ya tomorrow Southyard.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »

All the important people in your life know what you want.

My parents grew up in the depression. My Grandmother was very frugal. The only things I remember her buying new were a couch and a coat. Everything was paid for in cash. If you didn't have cash saved for it, you didn't need it.
I hope I paid enough attention during the hard times my parents had to get through the rough stuff coming up.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »

my mother was a little girl during the depression and she remembers my Uncle Alfred would make
Depression Chili with lots of potatoes
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »

southyard, you have much wisdom to share with us.  My mother was a child in the depression.  She taught me to be thrifty, cook cheap and fix things myself.  I am glad for her lessons.  I pity those who have always had money and don't know how to live "poor".   Keep posting Southyard.  Teach us all you can in the next few months. :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »

I hope you understand that you still have much to offer us.   Please keep posting and helping us to appreciate what we have.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 07:11:12 PM »

It's your decision, and I understand that life is not always the best choice.  I hope you are at peace with whatever you decide to do when the 6 months are up.   :cuddle;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »

:grouphug;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 08:16:36 PM »

I too hope that you will continue to post.  All of my grandparents passed on early in my life and I did not have much of a chance to learn from them.   My parents both remember the depression as children, and mostly the food rationing and how hard their parents worked to keep things going.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »

Southyard,
It's a tough decision you have to make.  I wish you peace in your soul when you make it.  Until you do, tell us some stories.  I'd love to hear about your life and all you've seen in your lifetime.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »