I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Oh NO! here we go again - Cartridge leaks
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oh NO! here we go again - Cartridge leaks  (Read 4340 times)
silverhead

« on: October 23, 2007, 06:28:21 PM »

Tonight I had Sharon on for 1 hour when we had a "715" alarm, I did the power on-off trick and it went into the "715" again, so did a manual rinse back and took her off, when I opened the machine I spotted a small pool of Dyalisate under the machine, ans sure enough the back of the cart in the Dyalisate area was all wet. talked to NxStage and will return the cart to them of course, the tech said they now have a lot less leaks than before, but still have them occasionally.
It was the last day of the Pureflow batch, and we were looking forward to having tomorrow off, Sharon did not want to go through all the hassle of setting up for another hour and a half, so we will make a new batch tomorrow and proceed without a day off, might take one after the 3 day run, will see how she feels, sure is a bummer tho.........
By the way. it was a 7087706

Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:58:39 PM »

That sux, to mess up a planned day off.  If her Kt/v is usually good she can probably skip one in a day or two and be fine.  We've had to do that a few times, but not recently.

Thanks for the lot number.  We don't have any of those.  (whew)

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Gram2Twinz

Perfect Match

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:50:57 AM »

CARTRIDGE LOT # 7107708
Yep, we have now had our SECOND cartridge leak. The first was a real test of our (my) capabilities to remain calm under pressure.

Dec. 16:First we notice alot of fluid flowing down the front of our table, under the machine.
When I day alot, I mean an actual waterfall. I calmly address all areas- the therapy bags, the waste line, the saline- nope no problem there.
Suddenly, the RED 715 ALARM! Yikes- get the book- look it up- okay- not really a blood leak- whew- just the fluid running across the blood leak detector, causing the alarm. Call NX Stage- this is our first RED 715 Alarm.
It seems we are on hold forever- I need to do a manual rinseback, but want to talk to a human to reassure me. Nope- husband is thinking we just do the rinseback and get him off then deal with the water flow. Finally, tech comes on and I inform her that I'm going to the the manual NOW- clotting is a real issue- she agrees to call ME back.
Whew- hubby off, all's calm. Get the towels-thank goodness we are on linoleum in our "medical lounge" in the basement!
NxStage calls me back- asks alot of questions. It seems the failure has been reported. It reportedly happens after 2 hours into treatment. Well, though not reassuring, we finish our call with instructions for the "pizza box" cartridge return.

Dec. 30: Second RED 715 Alarm. On treatment 2 hours, only 20 minutes to go, relaxing watching the Bears game and hubby says
" Honey, I think we have a problem"!-
Ya think?- There's water pooling under the machine- no waterfall, but it seems the alarm came just in time. We do the manual rinseback and I'm not nearly as "frazzled" this time. Piece of cake- no big deal- get hubby off and safe and then get the towels.
Our call to Nxstage gets us a "pizza box" coming for us to return the cartridge. That's all we need from them this time. No help, no direction. We were both calm and oh so  8)!

So- we have been tested! We can handle the alarms, the water, the stress of it all- just fine! Or so we think...we'll just see when our next "pop quiz" of alarms comes up! :yahoo;

Jot the Cartridge lot # down: 7107708.

:secret; (We have 2 of those cartridges left- wish us luck!)

Husband diagnosed w/ 1 working kidney 1975 Mayo Clinic
A/V Fistula March 2004
Placed on transplant list July 2004
In center dialysis began July 2007
Home Hemo NxStage training began Nov. 2007
Rockford, IL Davita-Roxbury Center
1st patient trained for home hemo by this center
Transplant 6-5-08 Loyola@Chicago
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:28:08 AM »

Gram - I'd pitch the last two and start on a new box!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »

In gearing up to do extended treatments the center gave me an alarm that sits on the cart and will screech if there is an fluid detected.  These are sold to place under water heaters and such. So far I haven't had any leaks (not since the rash of leaks earlier this year) but it does seem like this sort of alarm should be standard no matter the length of treatment.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 02:40:36 PM »

Bill again, you are on top of it!!  That alarm sounds like it should be part of the set up.  I just finished a box of 7107708.  I am going to check my stock and see if there are more.  Luckily I did not have the same problem.   Sorry you did - it is a big PITA.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Redbomb

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 08:20:39 PM »

You know, my first day at home (when the Trainer made her visit) I had a leak.  It was at the little elbow at the bottom of the Dialy... Dialisis... Oh, the filter thingy!  :)  The number was 7087703.  The next day, same number, worked fine.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »