I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Good News and Bad News
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good News and Bad News  (Read 8431 times)
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 08:02:56 AM »

:bow; How dareth they tell sir Kenneth Shelmerdinizzle such news,  :P OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!   :o   You know your in my prayers and in all of my goodest thoughts my friend, think positive and remember, we love ya and we care  :grouphug;
:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; That brought a smile to my face Susie. Thank you again for all  the kind thoughts from all who have posted to this thread. It gives me courage to know so many people are rooting for me. I have my family and friends and my special IHD family. What more could a man want?

Ken
BobT1939

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »

One of the things about prostate cancer that makes it so difficult is the lack of medical consensus in regard to what to do about it. With other cancers the treatments are relatively straightforward: cut it out, radiate it, or administer chemotherapy. With prostate cancer all of those modalities have advocates, as does "watchful waiting", and radio-active seed therapy. A great deal is left up to the patient re what path will be followed, so researching alternatives is important.

I had a prostatectomy based on the aggressive nature of my disease, my age, and general condition. This was before my ESRD had set in. Prior to that, I had had three major surgeries for disseminated testicular cancer. My urologist advised me that all of the surgical adhesions that had resulted ruled me out as a candidate for PD.

As always, find a doctor, in this case a board certified urologist, in whom you have confidence. Get a second opinion. I hope you are in a teaching hospital environment where you can get cross-disciplinary advice.

BobT
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 09:02:05 AM »

Ken, all I can say is I'm sorry this happened, but it iS better now than after a transplant.  I know, inadequate. Hang in there, and let us know how you're doing.  :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »

:bow; How dareth they tell sir Kenneth Shelmerdinizzle such news,  :P OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!   :o   You know your in my prayers and in all of my goodest thoughts my friend, think positive and remember, we love ya and we care  :grouphug;
:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; That brought a smile to my face Susie. Thank you again for all  the kind thoughts from all who have posted to this thread. It gives me courage to know so many people are rooting for me. I have my family and friends and my special IHD family. What more could a man want?

:secret;  They want a chance to wear a tiara and look purty like our very own Sluffypoo  ;D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 04:03:32 PM by goofynina » Logged

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 04:39:54 PM »

Nothing can make a girl warmer on a cold winter night than a man in tiara.  :rofl;
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 03:23:10 AM »

:2thumbsup; Well it's good news. I went to my first appointment at the Christie Cancer Hospital yesterday. It's been decided that a treatment called brackytherapy be carried out. They inject radioactive seeds into the prostrate. This does not damage surrounding tissue most importantly the peritoneum.  It's a one of procedure carried out under anaesthetic or epidural and causes the tumor to shrink to zero over a twelve month period.

There will be some after affects but these I am assured will be temporary. There's no overnight stay in hospital, they discharge you the same day but I musn't drive home because of the affect of the anaesthetic.

They said that because the tumor is only stage 2 it will be cured completely. To say I am relieved about this is an understatement. It's been hanging over me since just before Christmas and really put a downer on things including my 60th birthday celebrations.

I feel much better now and I'm back to my usual crazy self. :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; 

Edited:  Corrected icon error.   Bajanne, Moderator
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:28:46 AM by bajanne2000 » Logged

Ken
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 03:27:00 AM »

Thats good news Ken, and just to let you know, a friend of mine had the same treatment 3 years ago and he is doing great. I hope the same for you, good luck  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 04:07:25 AM »

Whew!! That is great news, Ken!!!

PLEASE, keep us posted!!!

I am so glad you were on of the fortunate ones, and, that it will not interfer with PD.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 04:14:04 AM »

:yahoo; :thumbup;
I'm so happy for you!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 06:13:38 AM »

WOW that is great news Sir Ken. :clap; Maybe we can get down to kingdom business again soon.  >:D
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2008, 06:38:40 AM »

Wonderful!  I was hoping that an option like this would be workable for you, so I'm very glad to hear the news! 

I know a man who had this treatment several years ago. The procedure really did seem pretty quick and painless, with little in the way of side effects, and he remains disease-free at this time. 

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2008, 07:05:59 AM »

That is good news Ken.  :yahoo;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »

WOW that is great news Sir Ken. :clap; Maybe we can get down to kingdom business again soon.  >:D

Yes Viscount lets make sure our ladies are not getting too big for their boots :rofl;

Ken
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2008, 08:34:53 AM »

That's great news!  :bandance; My dad had that done a couple of years ago and seemed to take it in stride.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Psim

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »

Whew, good news at last!  :2thumbsup; I'm so glad they caught it early and a non-invasive cure is possible. Go Ken!!!!!!
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »

Ken this is fantastic news, I am so glad they have caught it in time.  My husband died from this disease at 52 as his was asymptomatic and the cancer was not detected until it had spread far into the bone and other organs.  The Christie hospital is fantastic, they tried so hard to help him.  I'm absolutely delighted that the outcome for you is so positive.  Lots of love
Rose  :yahoo;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »

With all the holiday treats, we Ladies of Ken's kingdom probably are getting too big for lots of things, including the boots! :rofl;

I am so pleased,Ken, with your news.  I just want you back to your normal happy self with no huge worry over your head.  You know we love you!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »

Just wanted to add my praise to this great news  :clap;   :bow;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »

Great news! :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »

:clap;  Great news Ken    :cuddle;