I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:29:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Cookbook sales scheduled to help with David Deskin’s medical bills
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cookbook sales scheduled to help with David Deskin’s medical bills  (Read 1914 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: January 03, 2008, 11:01:22 PM »

January 03, 2008

Cookbook sales scheduled to help with David Deskin’s medical bills

The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — David “Booger” Deskin is awaiting a kidney transplant, but while he waits his family and friends are busy raising money to help with medical bills.

Deskin, 28, must undergo dialysis three days a week because he is in kidney failure. He contracted nephritis (kidney disease) as a result of a bout with the common flu in 2005.

Last year a benefit dinner and live/silent auction was at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds, and plans are being made to offer a cookbook for sale as a fundraiser to help with bills this year.

His wife of a little more than a year, Debra, is a second-grade teacher at Will Rogers Elementary School, and she is compiling a cookbook to be sold this spring as a fundraiser for the David Deskin Kidney Transplant Fund.

“We are looking for healthy recipes and those featuring low salt meals are ideal,” Debra said.

Although many teachers at Will Rogers have donated recipes, at this time all types of recipes are greatly needed.

“At Will Rogers we are really like a family,” said third-grade teacher Mindy Russell.

“When there is something wrong with someone in your family you just pitch in and help. Debra is the kind of person that you just naturally want to reach out to. She is a newly wed, an exemplary teacher, a wonderful role model and both she and David are just all around great people to know.”

Of his disease, David said previously, “What began as the flu ended up compromising my immune system, attacking my kidneys, lungs and liver and ultimately causing nephritis.”

He has been waiting for a transplant for more than a year, and although they would welcome a transplant at any time, Debra said it would be great if it came during summer break so that she could travel to Baylor Dallas or Baylor Fort Worth, the two sites authorized by his insurance company to handle the transplant.

Once the transplant is complete, Deskin will have to live on site for an additional two months to make sure there is no rejection of the kidney.

With a degree in agriculture education and a minor in horticulture, Deskin was forced to quit his job at TLC because of health issues but is currently working part-time at Tractor Supply in Edmond.

For those wishing to help with the cookbook, recipe categories include: Appetizers and Beverages, Main Dishes, Soups and Salads, Breads and Rolls, Vegetables, Desserts and Miscellaneous.

Recipes may be e-mailed to tanema@sbcglobal.net or mailed to Debra Deskin, 121 E. 21st St., Edmond, OK 73013.

Donations may be sent to the McClain Bank, P.O. Box 1169, Noble, OK 73068.

http://www.edmondsun.com/local/local_story_003130238.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »

why don't we start a cookbook and split the cash...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
orphans_mom

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »

boxman55
actually thats not a bad idea.
How about a cook book for dialysis patients?

HOW ABOUT AN IHD COOKBOOK?

ANYONE OUT THERE INTERESTED?

Orphans_Mom
Huntington, WV
Caregiver, Husband started dialysis 8/12/07
jonn r

my little girl maiah

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »

as a chef i can help you out with that
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

What a great idea! :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »

How do we start??? The toughest diet in my mind is the renal/diabetic one. There is so much contradiction "this is ok for dialysis but not for diabetics and vice versa" any ideas...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »