I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:19:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  sensipar
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: sensipar  (Read 11337 times)
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 03:46:24 PM »

Thanks Zach and Amanda,

I am trying to keep up with all the meds and levels. Your info really helps. My IPTH was 59.1pmol/L its now down to 23.9pmol/L.  :clap;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 12:55:47 AM »

After much fighting I have finally been given the OK by the powers that be to go onto sensipar and renegel to replace alutabs(phosphate binder) and calcitricol. I was showing that nasty bone disease activity so finally my doc wanted to get me onto sensipar (my PTH jumped from like 18 to 57 in 2 months) and my calcium has always been higher than the goal range (between 2.55-2.6). Not sure when I will get the actual scripts and stuff to start it, but it has aparently been approved for me to use.. which will hopefully keep me away from the parathyroidectomy for the time being.

Fingers crossed.

Oh yeah, they warned me about some of the icky side effects. Fingers crossed I will tollerate it OK!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 02:59:09 AM »

Good news they have approved you for the sensipar! that drug was my best friend while on dialysis.

And just to let you know i am usually allergic to EVERYTHING, but sensipar was fine with me, i am sure you will okay with it, just make sure they monitor your calcium level.

Amanda
xxoo

:cuddle; :cuddle;
cambonesegirl

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »

I do have another question regarding Sensipar and the side effects of it. I was taking 30 mg and was fine, no side effect. But then my PTH was high and they wanted to raise my dosage to 60 mg, so I was on that for a couple of weeks and I had the constant runs, everyday! Has that happened to anyone?
Redbomb

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 04:52:22 AM »

I do have another question regarding Sensipar and the side effects of it. I was taking 30 mg and was fine, no side effect. But then my PTH was high and they wanted to raise my dosage to 60 mg, so I was on that for a couple of weeks and I had the constant runs, everyday! Has that happened to anyone?

When they increased me from 30 to 60, I had the exact opposite effect!  (but I'm back to being regular now).

Also, something else you may want to check with your people that draw labs, etc.  My Dietitian told me to ensure that there was at least 12 hours between the time that I took my Sensipar and the time that I drew my labs otherwise the labs could show some false readings.  I believe  she said that they would be falsely low (but I may be wrong on that account).

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »

When I was on Sensipar I had nausea and vomiting almost every day. Not all day long, but I would take my pills at bedtime and usually around 10:00 in the morning I'd be getting sick. Finally after mentioning it to my clinic for a couple of months and having them blow it off, I told my neph. He immediately took me off Sensipar, and no more problems. Unfortunately, a month later my PTH was back up, but they put me on Hectorol instead of Sensipar. Hopefully I can stay off the Sensipar!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
cambonesegirl

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 11:41:09 PM »

When I was on Sensipar I had nausea and vomiting almost every day.

I did to, except the vomiting part. I take my pill in the morning and I felt nauseated most of the day.

I'm on Sensipar and something else that I get at dialysis, it's not Hectorol and my PTH has been creeping up a little. Before I was told my PTH was high because my phosphorus was high, but now it's fine and my PTH is high, so I don't know what's going on with that.
BigSteve

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 04:02:27 PM »

I've been on Sensipar for two weeks, and I have not had any problem with
nausea or worse. I take it with breakfast or lunch. Next lab will tell if
the drug is effective. The staff told me also that you should  take
Sensipar at least 12 hours before your labs. Apparently it is absorbed
rapidly into the bloodstream and causes your PTH reading to plunge and
thus not give a valid reading.
Also, if you are prescribed this medication, I hope you have a decent drug plan since
it retails for $400 for one month's 30 mg supply.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 06:21:15 PM »

Now that i think of it, when i was on 60 mg. of Sensipar, every morning i would gag until i threw up, now that they have cut me down to 30 mg a day, that has gone away, hmmmm, coincidence?   :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »

I must have an iron gut.  I have been on doses up to 120 and never felt sick at all ???
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »