I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:31:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Patient to Attract Attention with License Plate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patient to Attract Attention with License Plate  (Read 2358 times)
KT0930
Elite Member

« on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:51 AM »

LEXINGTON, Ky. (Dec. 17, 2007) − Charles Armistead isn't shy. He has a lot to say. That's especially true when you ask him about his liver transplant at UK Chandler Hospital. Armistead is so enthusiastic about his experience and how it changed his life that he drives around his native West Virginia hoping people ask him about it. His license plate proudly reads "UK 300th." On Thanksgiving Day 2005, Armistead, of Elkview, W.Va., was UK HealthCare Transplant Center's 300th liver transplant.

"I'm an advocate for organ donation and UK's transplant program. I selected this license plate hoping I would get a chance to explain to people why it's so important to be a donor," Armistead stated.

Armistead says several people have stopped him, inquiring about the message behind the plate. "There's nothing better you can give someone than the opportunity to extend their life. Organ donation and its impact are far-reaching, and only you can make the decision to do it."

Armistead is passionate about the cause because two years ago his life was much different. His wife of 37 years awoke to find him unresponsive, in a near comatose state, slumped over in a bathroom. Armistead had a condition called non-alcoholic steatohepatitis which is characterized by inflammation of the organ associated with the accumulation of fat in the liver. He had known about his condition for almost 15 years, but it had gotten worse very quickly. Doctors knew he needed a transplant soon.

That's when his journey brought him to UK Chandler Hospital. Armistead received a donor liver in a ten hour procedure, performed by Dr. Dinesh Ranjan and Dr. Thomas Johnston, that ended early on Thanksgiving Day 2005.

"It's such a transformation for me. I feel so much better. My quality of life has drastically improved. I just can't say enough about the entire experience at UK. It is a caring, professional group of people," Armistead said.

He keeps in touch at annual check-ups. "Charles has made a tremendous recovery. The differences are remarkable between the patient we treated two years ago and the man we see today," said Dr. Hoonbae Jeon, assistant professor of surgery.

When asked about his plans for the future, Armistead confidently says, "To keep on living and keep talking about the importance of organ donation." It's a plan drivers around West Virginia can plainly see.

For more information about organ donation visit the Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates or UK HealthCare Transplant Center Web sites.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:20:30 AM »

I wonder how I could get my state to consider a state liscense plate to bring awareness to organ Donation.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:30:27 PM »

I thought the same thing and mentioned it in another post on this same subject on a news article on North Carolina doing one. Maybe we need to write Kohl or God forbid, Feingold...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
BigSteve

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »

Boxman, you need to contact your state officials, not U.S. Senators. That would be state
representatives or state senators since license plates are issued by states. Steve
p.s. I'll be glad to trade you Feinstein for Feingold, straight up.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 05:14:00 AM »

I've been wondering the same thing, sluff. Georgia has plates for wildlife, pet spaying and neutering, and various other causes (all worthy), but I'd love to have an organ donation one!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:04:40 AM »

Boxman, you need to contact your state officials, not U.S. Senators. That would be state
representatives or state senators since license plates are issued by states. Steve
p.s. I'll be glad to trade you Feinstein for Feingold, straight up.
Thanks Steve, how about you keep them both. Happy Holidays...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »