I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:33:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Probably gross but constipation question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Probably gross but constipation question  (Read 4329 times)
WBMW

« on: December 11, 2007, 08:13:18 AM »

Some days mom is really constipated.  Is there something she can eat to help her go??

Then there are days where diarrhea is bad.   :banghead;

Love is a wonderous thing
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:16:58 AM »

Hi,
I would check with your Dr as far as food to help
your Mom with B/M - also be sure to mention
that other days the problem is opposite-

I hope this finds her feeling well,
Anne
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »

Activia is a low-fat probiotic yogurt-like produced by Dannon in the U.S. Activia contains the probiotic bacterium Bifidobacterium animalis. It also contains vitamin B12 and calcium.

Activia is available in strawberry, blueberry, and if you can find it, peach, pear, coconut, vanilla.

The yogurt is used to help digestive discomfort and irregularity.

Better check with her doctor, they may recommend stool softeners or bulk-adding remedies instead.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
silverhead

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »

I agree, check with the Doctor. By looking carefully at the Yogurt label, you can usually save a lot at the store over the high priced Activia costs, the following is from Healthquest.com:
Health Benefits of Probiotics

Studies found that probiotics may improve nutrient bio availability, including B vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, magnesium and phosphorus.
Pediatric studies found that robotics aids in a significantly decreasing the rate of acute diarrhea and rota virus shedding. Parents also reported a 25% decrease in diaper rash among babies drinking formula containing probiotics.
Probiotics and active bacteria culture may improve lactose intolerance. The bacterial strain commonly used in yogurt can produce lactase enzymes. Therefore, people with lactose intolerance and children suffering from intestinal infection can usually tolerate yogurt with an active culture.
Many studies showed that by regulating intestinal transit time, probiotics improve constipation among the elderly.
Other studies showed that probiotics, especially acidophilus, promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in the colon and reduces the conversion of bile into carcinogens (cancer causing substances).
Quite a few studies found that probiotics may enhance immunity by regulating lymphocytes as well as antibodies.

Bottom Line
Not all yogurt contains active bacterial culture. L bulgaricus, S thermophilus and L acidophilus are the most common bacterial strains added in yogurt. Therefore look for these bacteria on the ingredient list. Also check the label and look for the words "live cultures" or "active cultures". Avoid yogurt that says "heat treated after culturing" on the label. This means that after the bacteria was added in yogurt, it was pasteurized - a process which can denature lactase enzymes and destroy live cultures.

As an aside, when the children were young, we always had some Sourdough starter in the fridge and if they came down with diarrhea Sharon would take a tablespoon of it and mix in some sugar and have the kids take it down, they would be back to normal by the next day......

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:21:06 AM by silverhead » Logged

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »

i checked on yogurt, fruit flavored, nonfat

Phosphorus, P  mg 202
Potassium, K  mg 330
Sodium, Na  mg 99

looks kinda high- just something to keep in mind

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »

I wasn't sure if she had started dialysis or not?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »

Is she taking Iron pills? Otto and Dani are/were having same problem Otto stopped Iron pills and now is just getting Arsnp shot and has is no longer having issues, we are asking about doing the same with Dani next week.

silverhead

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 02:26:33 PM »

We have learned that Sharon can tolerate Iron infusion from the clinic, but she gets severe constipation from any kind of oral iron.........

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 04:09:59 PM »

Prunes or prune juice seem to work around here for my hubby.  Chamomile tea works for me.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 06:31:51 PM »

My ex used to swear by a cigarette and a strong cup of coffee! But I agree with the prune juice theory. I normally don't have a problem with that but I did not too long ago. Tried the OTC laxatives and softeners to no avail. Then just a cup of prune juice and we were on our way!

Good luck and hope she finds something that fits for her.

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
oswald

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »

Although it is not exactly healthy, the best way for me to cure constipation is to stop for a McDonald's cheeseburger!  Then hope I'm near home to hit the pot in time!  :o

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 10:08:47 AM »

Just had my iron infusion injection this morning...ahh, that big tube of gooey black energy! Came right to work for a cup of coffee...that usually helps keeps things moving. I've taken to chewing gum while I'm getting the injection to help keep the licorice taste at bay. Ahhh the things we go through (fortunately they said this is my last iron injection for awhile...my level is up and seems to be holding nicely.)

And White Castle burgers work better for me than McDonald's!  :lol;

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:02:13 AM »

Coffee usually works for me with constipation...of course, I usually have the opposite problem, EVERY time I eat!!!

I've found I do best if I eat DRY foods. I know, carbs, but darn it, when trying to control stuff like this you gotta do what you gotta do. So, crackers. pretzels. NO milk products. Rice is good.

What I'll do is eat something dry, THEN have something nutritious, protein for example.  Try to limit the variety of foods for a while. No salads, for instance, or casseroles. Just plain foods. No spicy foods either.
Beth36

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 06:14:12 PM »

You can try flax seed...I buy them at Whole Foods and put them in salads.  I also try to sneak them into my son's food because he gets a little "stage fright" from time to time.

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »

I am a true believe (and user) of the prune juice method, i warm up 8 oz, down that and then chase that down with some warm water to help it get in my system a little faster.  Usually works pretty fast for me :)     :secret; if not, there is always taco bell, that gives me the trots BIG TIME   :waving;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »