I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is canned tuna ok to eat a lot of?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is canned tuna ok to eat a lot of?  (Read 5008 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: February 27, 2006, 08:33:10 AM »

Joe really likes it for a tuna-salad sandwich, but is it ok to eat a can everyday?  I don't think there's any salt in it, and I use just a little bit of mayo to mix it together...  If it's a "good" food that would be great since he's really hating dry ol' chicken breast.  ;)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »

Joe really likes it for a tuna-salad sandwich, but is it ok to eat a can everyday?  I don't think there's any salt in it, and I use just a little bit of mayo to mix it together...  If it's a "good" food that would be great since he's really hating dry ol' chicken breast.  ;)

Better make most of it chicken salad instead of tuna salad.

"...Key Parts of the Advisory:
Fish and shellfish are an important part of a healthy diet. Fish and shellfish contain high quality protein and other essential nutrients, are low in saturated fat and contain omega-3 fatty acids. A well balanced diet that includes a variety of fish and shellfish can contribute to heart health and children's proper growth and development. Thus, women and young children in particular should include fish or shellfish in their diets due to the many nutritional benefits.

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.
Follow these same recommendations when feeding fish and shellfish to your young child, but serve smaller portions...."
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/mercury/backgrounder.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 12:41:16 PM by Black » Logged

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 07:22:38 AM »

Thanks for the info! :)

Joe died July 18, 2007
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:30:30 AM »

Thanks for the info! :)

You are most welcome, Sara.  I'm going to try to remember to ask the Neph and the dietician at the dialysis clinic how much is too much for kidney patients, since the 12 ounces is for healthy people.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Panda_9

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 03:52:08 AM »

Canned tuna is fine to have. Get it in springwater, it tends to have alot less salt. I ate it alot over summer.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 04:44:43 PM »

:) That's the only way we get it.  Can't stand it in oil.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:25:22 AM by Sara » Logged

Joe died July 18, 2007
Panda_9

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:08:39 AM »

Yes its icky in oil. My old flatmate used to buy the cheapo brand sandwhich tuna, which is mushed up tuna in tons of oil iiiicccckkk. The smell made me sick.
I just buy the little 100g tins of tuna in springwater or brine (brine has more salt), and I eat all that on top of a salad with ingredients I like. I usually put in celery, carrot, a FEW cherry tomatoes, and some cheese cubes. Pour on some dressing, plonk tuna on top, eat!! I used to have that in summer while I was on the machine. Trouble with a salad is, it counts as some fluid, so you need to work that into your weight.
I do get flavoured tuna too, its got a little oil in it, but with all the flavours mixed in its quite nice. I like to have it on crackers as a light lunch or snack. The dietition said these were fine too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »