I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 03:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I've got a strange question!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I've got a strange question!!!  (Read 4380 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: December 06, 2007, 09:50:06 AM »

Has anyone noticed since they started dialysis that if they have 'vinegar' on anything it makes them sweat ? Or is it just me , it now makes me sweat buckets if i have it !!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:00:35 AM »

I do not sweat very often, but no, I have not noticed this.

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »

It happens to me if I eat pickles. I don't sweat, but I do get very hot.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 03:23:25 PM »

just face it kick start luv, you are just plain weird. (you know we love you)

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 03:42:13 PM »

When I start dialysis, I'm gonna eat lots of pickles! Maybe I'll finally feel warm! (just kidding, I know about sodium)

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
oswald

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 06:48:08 PM »

i was told a long time ago that if you sweat alot it's because your body is trying to take place of your kidneys by ridding your body of fluid.   :twocents;

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:48:35 AM »

i was told a long time ago that if you sweat alot it's because your body is trying to take place of your kidneys by ridding your body of fluid.   :twocents;

I dont naturally sweat a lot though , just when i've had vinegar on something !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:45:59 AM »

just face it kick start luv, you are just plain weird. (you know we love you)

I'll have to agree with gramma!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 09:05:17 AM »

I am not aware of it, but I will definitely check it out.  This renal situation causes some weird reactions.  Did you guys read the thread entitled 'Pica' where it seems that you begin to like all kinds of strange smells? http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=320.0

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 09:17:27 AM »

Perspiring requires an intact nervous system to occur, so the fact that your body is still trying to clear toxins by excess perspiration is a good sign that your nerves are still functioning well.  The skin has been called a 'third kidney' because it can filter toxins out of the blood similarly to the way the kidneys do, although much less efficiently.  In the days before dialysis, patients in endstage renal failure used to die covered with what was called 'uremic frost,' which was the residue of blood toxins which had been deposited on the skin by perspiration in the body's last, desperate effort to compensate for the lack of renal function.

The longer you remain on dialysis, the more damage will occur to the nervous system, and the less perspiring you will be able to do.  By the end of almost 9 years on dialysis, I found that I had completely lost the ability to perspire, even in very hot weather.

Pica is another topic, but it refers to an abnormal hunger and interest in smells which occurs when people are deprived of essential nutrients, either because of deficient nutrition or because dialysis is leaching important substances out of their body.  I had pica for the last 3 years I was on dialysis, and had a craving to eat shoe polish and moth balls, which fortunately I managed to resist.  As soon as I received a transplant, the cravings vanished.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 08:03:34 AM »

Stauffenberg...I just love it when you come by with a logical and sensible explanation of everything , you are a mine of useful information , where do you find it all ?  :clap;

thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 08:07:46 AM »

Pica is an appetite for non-nutritive substances (e.g., coal, soil, chalk, paper etc.) or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered foods, such as food ingredients (e.g., flour, raw potato, starch). In order for these actions to be considered pica, they must persist for more than one month, at an age where eating such objects is considered developmentally inappropriate. The condition's name comes from the Latin word for the magpie, a bird which is reputed to eat almost anything. Pica is seen in all ages, particularly in pregnant women and small children, especially among children who are developmentally disabled, where it is the most common eating disorder.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 03:19:04 AM »

He he i havent started eating soap or coal yet !!!!

oswald

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 06:11:43 AM »

try sand,  thats what i had a hankering for.  hmmmmmmm saaaand.    :popcorn;<--- sand    :banghead;

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 09:12:10 AM »

Perspiring requires an intact nervous system to occur, so the fact that your body is still trying to clear toxins by excess perspiration is a good sign that your nerves are still functioning well.  The skin has been called a 'third kidney' because it can filter toxins out of the blood similarly to the way the kidneys do, although much less efficiently.  In the days before dialysis, patients in endstage renal failure used to die covered with what was called 'uremic frost,' which was the residue of blood toxins which had been deposited on the skin by perspiration in the body's last, desperate effort to compensate for the lack of renal function.

The longer you remain on dialysis, the more damage will occur to the nervous system, and the less perspiring you will be able to do.  By the end of almost 9 years on dialysis, I found that I had completely lost the ability to perspire, even in very hot weather.

Pica is another topic, but it refers to an abnormal hunger and interest in smells which occurs when people are deprived of essential nutrients, either because of deficient nutrition or because dialysis is leaching important substances out of their body.  I had pica for the last 3 years I was on dialysis, and had a craving to eat shoe polish and moth balls, which fortunately I managed to resist.  As soon as I received a transplant, the cravings vanished.

Stauffenburg, did the ability to sweat come back with the transplant as well?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 01:28:17 PM »

Did anyone else get asked that by the dietitian when they started dialysis? Mine had this long list of questions, and one of them was something to the effect of "Do you crave or eat any non-food items?" and then they go on to name several such as sand, gasoline, etc. Mine said she has actually had people say yes to each of them on her list.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Chicken Little

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 01:50:49 PM »

I don't sweat Kickstart, but I have noticed I have a hard time tolerating vinegar dressings now.   It's the never ending salad that I get to taste for days.  Yuck.   I have no problem giving up salad though.   ;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »