I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 02:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Ron Springs - 7 months post transplant in coma with "no chance" of surviving
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ron Springs - 7 months post transplant in coma with "no chance" of surviving  (Read 4028 times)
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« on: October 17, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

Link

Ex-Cowboy Ron Springs has 'no hope' of surviving

Former running back is in coma in Dallas hospital

02:35 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News
bhorn@dallasnews.com

Doctors on Wednesday told the family of former Dallas Cowboys running back Ron Springs, hospitalized in a coma, there is no hope he will survive, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Springs, 50, has been unconscious since soon after he entered Dallas Medical City Hospital last week for what friends say he believed was a routine medical procedure to remove a cyst from one of his arms.

It remains unclear how or why Springs lapsed into a coma. The hospital has refused comment, and family members have been unavailable.

Seven months ago, Springs received a healthy kidney from former Cowboys teammate Everson Walls. That marked the first organ transplant involving former U.S. professional teammates.

The Springs family is expected to consider the possibility of donating any usable organs he might have to help others.

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:11:30 PM »

Awww, I wonder what went wrong  ???  I did know he had alot of other medical issues but if it was a routine surgery, i still am not understanding  :banghead;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:54:53 PM »

I don't know what went wrong  :(  His family isnt talking much.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »

Teammates for life
Bittersweet tale of former Cowboys Springs and Walls

Posted: Wednesday November 7, 2007
Sports Illustrated

It often surprises people to learn that most teammates do not necessarily remain close friends. Their careers end, they switch teams, they move on. Ron Springs and Everson Walls were different.

When Walls came to the Cowboys in 1981, Springs was already the starting fullback. Moreover, he was pretty much the leader of the Cowboys' African-American players -- a boisterous, welcoming presence, the self-appointed "mayor" of what he called Ghetto Row.

Walls, though, was a no-name. He not only came from a small, predominately black college, Grambling, but he wasn't even drafted. Springs took the shy kid from nowhere under his wings, though, and Walls made the team. Even though the two men played together for just four seasons, their friendship only became stronger. Their wives grew close; the two men became godfathers of each others' children.

Springs told his son, Shawn: don't be like me, don't be a running back. It may be glamorous, but it's grueling, brutal work. Be a defensive back like Mr. Walls. It was wise advice. Ron Springs only lasted eight years in the NFL, but Walls played 13, and now Shawn is in his 11th NFL season.

Unfortunately, several years after his football career ended, Ron was diagnosed with diabetes. Now it was Everson's turn to be the leader. He made his friend work out, to keep him as healthy as possible. But the disease forced Springs into dialysis; it required the amputation of his foot. He desperately needed a kidney transplant, but there was no one in his family with the match. Almost matter-of-factly, Walls volunteered one of his, and in March, Springs gained a new life when his friend's kidney was transplanted into his body.

That had surely never happened before in sports, one old teammate saving another. But then, just to be with these two guys was uplifting. They wouldn't use the word -- hey, they're tough old, football players -- but their love for one another shone through all their jokes and friendly insults. "Don't call me a hero," Walls kept saying. To him, he had only done what good friends are supposed to do.

It should've been such a joyous story. The two men even formed the Gift for Life Foundation, to raise funds for diabetes and to promote organ donor awareness. Out of tragedy had come new purpose.

But then, last month, Springs went into the hospital to have a cyst removed from his arm. It was such a simple operation that the doctors at first thought it could be done with a local. At the last, though, Springs agreed that it would be better to go under. Alas, as soon as he was anesthetized, he fell into a coma. He is still there.

The doctors offer virtually no hope. The family and Springs' friends can only pray. Everson Walls visits him in the hospital. Sometimes, he says, he is sure Ron is watching him, recognizing him, that there is something still alive beyond the empty eyes and the still form that holds his kidney.

It is always hardest to believe that an athlete's great body can fail him. We cling so hard to the memories of men on the field of play, together, invulnerable for sure.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/frank_deford/11/07/cowboys/index.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »

Awww, thanks for giving us this info Karol, i understand what went wrong now, poor guy, that is scary to think that that could happen from a simple operation  :-\

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 02:56:14 PM »

How come he fell into a coma when he was put under?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 03:00:03 PM »

It was just his time to go  :angel;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »

Maybe not his time yet.  Unless there has been degradation of his organs he may still recover if given enough time.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 05:15:35 PM »

Sad to hear about Ron Springs. Even if he survives I'm sure his quality of life would be minimal after 7 months in comatose state.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:18:00 PM by Sluff » Logged
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »

Aaaack, i didnt realize he was still alive, oh man, i think i need either better glasses or i need to lay off the "juice" ;) ;)  Thanks for clarifying that Black,  sorry Mr. Springs  :oops;   Sending him and his family good thoughts and prayers  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:44:45 PM »

Praying for a miricle recovery for Ron Springs!

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »

November 22, 2007

Helping Fight a Battle for a Friend Who Can’t

By KAREN CROUSE
NEW YORK TIMES

IRVING, Tex., Nov. 21 — Every time Everson Walls sees his former Dallas Cowboys teammate Ron Springs, he flicks him on the forehead, slaps his cheeks, jabs at his jaw; anything to get a reaction.

The contact is purposeful, not playful. It is Walls’s attempt to reach a close friend who may be beyond modern medicine’s reach. When Springs, who has been in a coma in a Dallas hospital for more than a month, squirms in response or opens his eyes, Walls says a silent prayer of thanks. “To me, that’s signs of improvement,” he said.

This was supposed to be a bountiful Thanksgiving for Walls and Springs, friends since they met playing for the Cowboys during the 1981 season. In February, Walls, 47, donated a kidney to Springs, who had lost his right foot and two of his left toes during a more than decade-long battle against diabetes.

Springs, 50, came through the surgery fine, only to lose consciousness during a minor operation in October. The medical prognosis is dire. For the extended Cowboys family, Thursday’s blessings will come with some sorrow.

When Walls gave Springs one of his kidneys, he never expected to receive, in return, Springs’s gift for conversation. The introverted Walls, who enjoyed taking shelter in Springs’s conviviality, has shed his reluctance to publicize their story and become a persuasive spokesman for living organ donations. In September, he appeared before a congressional subcommittee in support of a bill that would create a National Organ and Tissue Donor Registry.

The legislation that lured Walls to Washington was the Everson Walls and Ron Springs Gift of Life Act of 2007, named for the charitable foundation they started this year to raise awareness, especially among African-Americans, about diabetes and organ donation. In 2006, the last year for which statistics were available, 24 percent of kidney recipients in the United States were African-American. Since Springs lapsed into the coma, Walls has spread himself thin covering his and Springs’s appointment books. Wherever he goes on behalf of the foundation, he bumps into people who believe, as he once mistakenly did, that only blood relatives or the deceased can be donors. In fact, in 2005, more than 33 percent of living donors of all organ transplants were non-relatives.

Before last year, Walls said he thought becoming a donor amounted to agreeing to carry a driver’s license that indicated one’s organs were to be recycled in the event of a fatal accident. Then he found out that Springs, who had befriended him when he came to the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in the early 1980s, needed a kidney transplant.

No one in Springs’s family was a donor match. But Walls and Springs were as close as brothers and were godfathers for each other’s children. So Walls read everything he could about becoming a donor. “Once I did my research, I realized how safe it was,” he said.

He offered to be tested and did not think twice when it turned out he was a match. The transplant — the first between two professional athletes — took place Feb. 28. Springs’s body accepted Walls’s kidney without protest, and six months later, Springs was telling people he felt better than he had in years.

On Sept. 9, Springs and Walls returned to Texas Stadium to serve as honorary captains for the Cowboys’ regular-season opener against the Giants. In an interview with The Dallas Morning News the week of the game, Springs said Cowboys fans “don’t have to worry about Ron Springs giving up.”

The last time Walls and Springs spoke was shortly before Springs entered Medical City Dallas Hospital on Oct. 12 to have a cyst on his arm removed. Springs considered it such a routine procedure, he did not mention it when he and his wife stopped by Walls’s house two nights before.

Springs was in great spirits that night, Walls recalled. Parking his wheelchair at the door, he walked into the house, plopped himself down on the couch and was his old wisecracking self. When Walls thinks back to that night, “I get frustrated,” he said, “because I realize how close he was to turning the corner.”

During the surgery, Springs went into cardiac arrest and stopped breathing for at least three minutes, according to Walls. He has not regained consciousness. Springs’s vital signs are stable, but the neurologist treating him has told the family that the prognosis is poor. Springs’s son, Shawn, a cornerback with the Washington Redskins, described his father as “pretty much a vegetable at this point” while speaking to reporters from Dallas last week. The Redskins have allowed Shawn to miss work every Monday and Tuesday to be with his father in Dallas, but in an interview this week, he said he did not expect his father to come out of the coma.

“For me, it’s just the way I look at things in life,” said Springs, who was reared by his paternal grandparents. “Whatever God’s will is, let it be done. I think sometimes we confuse God’s will with what we want.”

Shawn added that it was up to his stepmother, Adriane Springs, to decide whether to remove his father from life support. She declined an interview request.

Walls, who is in daily contact with her, said that she remained hopeful her husband would recover.

“Shawn is a little bit more pessimistic than everyone else is,” Walls said. “In interviews, he’s so down and dismal and that’s not where we’re at right now. That’s what we don’t want.”

Walls spent part of last week in Columbus, Ohio, standing in for Springs, a former Ohio State player who was scheduled to be honored at a dinner leading up the Ohio State-Michigan game. Walls had intended to accompany him on the trip. Although he attended Grambling, Walls felt a kinship with the former Ohio State players he met. He talked with Jack Tatum, a defensive back whose lower left leg was amputated because of complications caused by diabetes. He compared notes with Diane Brockington, who donated a kidney to running back John Brockington, whom she later married.

People entertained Walls with stories about Springs. Photographs were passed around showing Springs as a collegian, his hair styled in a resplendent Afro. By the end of the evening, Tatum declared Walls an honorary Ohio Stater because Buckeyes blood now runs through his donated kidney. Walls looked forward to telling Springs the Ohio stories during his next hospital visit. “The fact that they made me an honorary Buckeye will stir him,” Walls said. He laughed. “That will get him going.”

For however long it takes, Walls said he would keep flicking Springs’s forehead and wiping his mouth and watching his chest rise and fall and telling him, “I know you’re in there.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/sports/football/22walls.html?em&ex=1195880400&en=c41446f5b44ed69b&ei=5087%0A

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »