I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 02:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney swap could lead to national scheme
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney swap could lead to national scheme  (Read 2558 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 03, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »

Kidney swap could lead to national scheme

Article from: The Sunday Times

Joe Spagnolo

November 03, 2007 06:00pm

PERTH -- A YOUNG mother and a father of four have spoken of their joy after Perth surgeons helped them have Australia's first kidney swap between two families.

The landmark transplants are the first to be performed on living people in Australia who did not know each other, and are tipped to pave the way for other states to allow paired kidney exchanges.

The Neilson and Turbett families agreed recently to swap kidneys so that they could be given to their respective children in a desperate attempt to save them from kidney failure.

The story of Peter Neilson, his daughter Violet, 28, and Jan Turbett, 66, and her son Steve Campion, 36, is both remarkable and controversial.

Mr Neilson had watched his daughter suffer for nearly a decade after she had kidney failure.

Three days a week she had to attend hospital for gruelling dialysis sessions, having barely enough energy to look after her son, Jordan, now four.

Mr Neilson offered to donate a kidney for her, but doctors told him it was not a suitable match.

Jan Turbett's son Steve, a single dad with four small children, also desperately needed a new kidney but she was unable to help because she was not a suitable match.

But a law passed by state parliament last year, allowing paired kidney exchanges between two living donors and recipients, gave them new hope.

Both families' details were stored in a WA Kidney Transplant Service database. In September, it was discovered that Mr Neilson's kidney was suitable for Mr Campion and Mrs Turbett's was suitable for Violet, and the two families made a deal to exchange kidneys.

Ten of Perth's top urologists and transplant surgeons, working in four operating rooms in two different hospitals, performed the surgery on October 17, and all four people, donors and recipients, were out of hospital in a few days.

At Kings Park on Friday, the four of them met for the first time, accompanied by Health Minister Jim McGinty, WA Kidney Transplant Service chairman Associate Professor Luc Delriviere (who was one of the surgeons involved in the operations) and Prof Paolo Ferrari, chairman of the Kidney Exchange Program, who had lobbied the State Government to allow kidney swaps.

It was clear that these four people, who had been through so much in their lives, had been involved in something special and now shared a common bond which would last forever. They hugged, they shook hands and they smiled a lot.

"We did it because we are a mum and a dad,'' Mr Neilson said. "That's what you do for your kids. While Steve has my kidney and my daughter has Jan's, we did it for selfish reasons, to help our children.''

His daughter said: "You can't put it into words. There is nothing you can do to show your appreciation. But it's just lovely. It's like living again, a new life.''

Mr Campion said he didn't know what to say to the man who had helped to save his life.

"What can you say to someone who gives up their kidney for you?'' he said. "I have four kids and I have missed out on just about everything they have done.

"It will be nice to do things like go to their sports day.''

Mr McGinty, Prof Delriviere and Prof Ferrari have called on the Federal Government to introduce a national kidney exchange program.

At any one time, there are about 20 people on WA's kidney transplant list who have a family member willing to donate a kidney but are not compatible.

Health professionals say that if the rest of Australia joined the program, the pool of people ready to take part in an exchange would swell to about 200.

Prof Ferrari said: "This has been a historical moment for Australia, not just West Australia. We are pioneering something that so far has really only been done in the UK and Korea and the Netherlands. Hopefully, other states will now follow.''

Perhaps the last word on this remarkable story should go to 66-year-old Mrs Turbett, who said her experience showed age was no barrier to organ donation.

"It's never too late to help someone in need,'' she said.

"Everyone is saying how wonderful I am, but I'm not. I just wanted to help my son.''

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22697550-2761,00.html

PHOTO: MIRACLE FAMILIES: Peter Neilson and his daughter, Violet Neilson, meet Steve Campion and his mother, Jan Turbett, for the first time, on Friday.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 12:31:23 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »

:yahoo; Thank you for another awesome and inspirational story Okarol, i hope everything works out best for them all  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:40:53 PM »

This is a huge step for us Aussies, Hubby wanted to donate to me but we didn't match so maybe we can swap with another couple, i think its worth looking into  :thumbup;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 02:16:00 AM »

Ground breaking stuff  :ausflag;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 06:31:27 PM »

Forgot what hospital was doing this in the US and has spread. It was shown on the Discovery or The Learning Channel earlier this year. The show focused on 4 recipients and unfortunately two of them died after transplant due to complications from illness.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
mariannas

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 08:36:36 PM »

My boyfriend and two of my best friends who are not matches for me have signed up for the paired exchange program for me.  Every little chance helps!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 09:38:52 PM »

My boyfriend and two of my best friends who are not matches for me have signed up for the paired exchange program for me.  Every little chance helps!
Good Luck, hope you get your transplant soon.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 02:26:25 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 07:36:04 AM »

I have a friend that had this done at John Hopkins.  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »