I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 12:16:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Am I Lucky or Doomed?????
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Am I Lucky or Doomed?????  (Read 2494 times)
Romona
Elite Member

« on: February 04, 2008, 03:39:53 PM »

I have been having lots of tests lately. This fall I was trying to find out why I had a pain in my side. I was sent from one person to another. I recently had a colonoscopy, I had a tubular anonema (not sure of the spelling) removed. It was pre-cancerous. I need another colonoscopy in 5 years. My pap smear came back with abnormal cells, but negative for HPV. The abnormal cells maybe because of my suppressed immune system. I was told to return in a year. I expressed that I am very nervous about this. I love my GYN and he said to ease my mind come back in six months.
I still have no answer about the pain.

My transplant coordinator told me at our first meeting that the first year rejection is the main concern. The second year is cancer, such as colon cancer and reproductive organs. So I do feel lucky that things were caught early :bandance;, but scared that this is going to be a constant concern.

Thanks for listening! :)
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 03:48:41 PM »

I understand what you mean about being nervous about waiting a year, it seems like such a long time....  hopefully they will figure out why you are hurting.
Thinking of You
Kim

http://www.kimhoben.com
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »

I'd say you're lucky Ramona, when it comes to getting some answers. Unfortunately you're not getting a solution to your pain, which must be really frustrating!
Jenna has to get regular skin cancer screenings as that's the most common cancer in immunosuppressed patients. But many patients NEVER get cancer at all, so the precautions are worthwhile.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:42:59 AM »

Romona I know how you must be feeling. You did right to get a 6 months check-up rather than have to wait a year. Maybe the flank pain is just some kind of strain but I know how worrying it must be for you. Because we've had so much stuff to put up with we always think the worst, I know I do and then most of the time it turns out not as bad as you thought. Doesn't  stop you worrying though. And no you're deffinately not doomed!  I'm thinking of you, take care. :cuddle;

Ken
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:35:33 AM »

Is the flank pain on the same side of the body as the transplanted kidney was inserted?  Sometimes there can be muscle strain in the area after surgery. 

The cancer risk for people on the immunosuppressive drugs required for whole organ transplants is about four times higher than it is for the normal population, but much of this risk is represented by skin cancer, which is easily cured if caught early.  The skin cancer rates are highly variable, depending on how much sun exposure you have where you live and how fair your natural skin color is.  For this reason, the post-transplant skin cancer rate is highest in Australia, where there is both a lot of sun and a lot of people with fair skin.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:51:07 AM »

Romona, I'm so sorry you're having this pain and not getting answers about it. As for pap smears, I had a doc that for the last few years of my first transplant and first few of my second (until I moved) had arranged it with my insurance company that I came in every six months just as a precaution. I thought this would be the same for all female transplant patients, but maybe it was just my doc was so super - I really miss him. I hope you get some answers soon, and remember, you really are blessed, because you're not dealing with these things in addition to dialysis, since they might not be related to the immunosuppressants at all.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »

Romona I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but please know we are always here for you, try not to worry too much, but keep bothering those Doctors until your questions are answered to your satisfaction. As Stauffenberg said muscle pain can last a long time, I know this from experience.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »

You guys are great! I'm so glad you guys understand. I am getting better about this everyday and realize that I am so grateful things were caught early. The pain in my side is letting up and I'm not getting it as often.  :thx;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »

Sorry I missed this thread, but I am glad the pain is easing for you. I too am glad they caught that pre cancerous  tubular anonema early, thank God they saw it and removed it! Good luck and I hope things continue to go well for you.  :grouphug;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 05:53:49 AM »

to me, it is always best to know!   I had a terrible pain yesterday.  I would be fine when I was sitting, but anytime I stood, the pain was awful.  I told my nurse.  She wondered about my appendix, but I had that out at 10!  Then she wondered about my tubes - had them out at 42, and 50.  So all we are left with is the perennial gas problem or some kind of intestinal problem.  I feel better this morning anyway.  But knowing is always better, I say.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »