I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2024, 12:19:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  FOUR-HOUR WAIT FOR DIALYSIS TREATMENT
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FOUR-HOUR WAIT FOR DIALYSIS TREATMENT  (Read 1769 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 12, 2007, 09:28:43 AM »

FOUR-HOUR WAIT FOR DIALYSIS TREATMENT
Date : 09.11.07

People who need dialysis wait up to four hours for hospital transport, says a new report.

Its claims some resort to driving themselves in, risking an accident.

And vehicles have even been sent to pick up patients who have died.

The report investigated transport provided by East Midlands Ambulance Service for kidney patients at the City Hospital.

It was carried out by Nottingham University Hospitals Patient and Public Involvement Forum.

"Dialysis treatment is ongoing and predictable and transport booking should be relatively easy enough to plan for patients who attend very regularly," said the report, which also said patients were not supposed to wait more than 30 minutes.

"Some patients are now facing long inward and outward journey times, and in some cases they also have to wait for their dialysis appointment time when brought into the unit too early.

"Having had their treatment, they may wait anything from ten minutes to four hours for transport home. This makes it a very long and tiring day.

"Some patients even bring themselves in for treatment using their own cars and drive themselves back home from the unit after dialysis treatment.

"This gives cause for concern over the car insurance company's position if an accident should happen."

Another issue was the increased used of private taxis instead of EMAS drivers, an added cost to the NHS.

The forum said the problems were down to the system, not the drivers.

"There is no blame attached to any of the drivers providing the car service for the renal patients," it said.

John Simpson, director of estates and facilities at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "We agree some patients are experiencing a service below standard and this is unacceptable.

"EMAS has gone through a restructuring process and, although it is not an excuse, this process did highlight that changes needed to be made.

"Although EMAS are still trying to implement all the changes they do have key personnel in place that will now allow day-to-day issues to be addressed.

"a href="mailto:clare.boyd@nottinghameveningpost.co.uk" class="lblue" clare.boyd@nottinghameveningpost.co.uk /a

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:32:50 AM »

That's exactly why my Dad pays £100 a week in taxi fares!! But I can't understand why it says "Another issue was the increased used of private taxis instead of EMAS drivers, an added cost to the NHS." The NHS pays NOTHING towards Dad's taxi fares - we asked but were refused help - and no he's not rich, just a 79 year old pensioner!!
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 05:06:39 AM »

It said that it was a problem if patients chose to drive themselves instead of waiting for the service. The few short months in my life when I've been on hemo, I've always driven myself, and only had to call my spouse for a ride once for low b/p. Why's it a problem for patients to drive their own cars?

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:54:38 AM »

KT- Not everyone deals with dialysis the same. Some people come off their treatmnt too dizzy or lightheaded to drive themsleves.. and it happens to them everytime, or almost everytime. I drove myself when I had a car, and when I didn't have a car, I rode the city bus.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:31:51 AM »

ok, thanks Anegla. Sorry, I just don't understand most of the hemo stuff.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 08:35:15 AM »

I drive myself, I drove myself last week, and this week, hoping this is my last week on hemo, and that I get back on pd!!! You just NEVER know how you're gonna be. There were times I had to literally grip the wheel and force myself to pay strict attention. Thank goodness I'm only about 4 blocks away, and it was LATE at night at that!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »