I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  It finally happened....I have a NEW kidney!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It finally happened....I have a NEW kidney!  (Read 7010 times)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 03:42:38 AM »

Nan, How are you doing?  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
vandie

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 07:23:18 AM »

Fabulous news.  Congratulations.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 12:18:22 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; Congratulations!!!  :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »

Any news?  How are you feeling, Nan?

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »

Zippity Doo Dah!!!! My of My What A Wonderful Day!!! SO glad to hear Nan  you are doin great!!!!!!!!!!!
Lori/Indiana
Slywalker

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »

:bandance;  Congratulations.  what a great gift to receive. 

I also had a few of the bad side effects from the transplant meds, shaky hands being one of them.  That subsided after about eight weeks.  So - here's to hoping that side effect will also go away for you!!!! 

Have a great day.   :yahoo;

Sandyb
Nan

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 06:36:12 PM »

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts....I am finally able to type a bit better without such shaking.  The clinic finally said....Lady........YOU NEED ANXIETY meds to counteract your sensitivity to the drugs.  :boxing; It has taken the edge off...I still am shaking, my brain is going  a 160 miles an hr...and in a 24 hr period, I sometimes only sleep 45 mins. Sleep is so precious to me.  Food/taste has not come back yet....I am usually not hungry and not everything tastes good to me yet...I even haven't gone back to drinking coffee and I used to LOVE my morning coffee!
I am trying to do everything right, but I have a bladder infection, thrush mouth, ulcers down my throat and a sinus infection and antibiotics for each and everyone of them!  I go nowhere....I feel like the "boy in the bubble"....clinic everyother day and then home again.  I have not even seen my family as the flu is running rampage among the grandchildren.  BUT..... :yahoo; EVERYDAY....there is another little baby step to recovery, I think I was just in such bad shape before the surgery...that I need to get my strength back.  I see the light at the end of the tunnel....I have every magazine for gardening....and I plan and dream and re plant my garden daily!  I have also let things go around my house for the past two years....and am on this HUGE reorganizing project.....my husband will bring me a drawer from a cabinet or desk....I sit with a garbage can and clean...throw and organize....WOW.......it feels so good, my body might be a bit slow....but the brain is CRAZY!!!!! :bandance; Getting tired...will try to keep in touch....missing you guys...it's just so good to have you all out there!  Nan

No matter how your heart is grieving....as long as you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true!
Diagnosed with PKD in 1994
Started HEMO dialysis June 2006
Started Home Dialysis on cycler February 2007
Had Live donor transplant February 2008
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 09:46:25 PM »

:bandance; I am so happy you're improving - I hope the meds all help and you get stable so you can enjoy life more and more.
All the baby steps are heading in the right direction! Take care!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 03:18:36 AM »

:bandance; Nan, good to hear from you. Just take those small steps, and remember to rest when you feel like it. DRINK, DRINK, DRINK. Please keep us updated. Take Care. :clap;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 04:30:13 AM »

I hope you continue to improve but becareful with all thos antibiotics.  :thumbup;
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 05:06:55 AM »

Glad to hear you're doing better, and you feel so good emotionally! Keep up the mental work, as it goes a long way to helping you recover physically.

As for the thrush, I don't know if your team told you, but that can be a problem with taking prednisone by mouth, especially if you are still on a higher dose. As your dose gets lower (or even eliminated, as some are, these days), your vulnerability to it will also decrease. Not sleeping can also be a side effect of the prednisone.

Continue taking great care of yourself and that kidney!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 07:20:18 AM »

Nan, I'm so glad it IS getting better!!!   :clap; :clap;

SOON, you will have a normal life!!!  We're thinking of you, and wishing you the best!!!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance; Congrats!!!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »

As we've all learned Nan, take it a day at a time...don't look too far ahead, and definitely don't look too far back...just take each day as it comes, work on making something positive happen, then move on. I'm guessing some sleep would be good...I don't know what med they gave you for anxiety, but I have Ativan, and a little goes a long way...helps me sleep during my most stressed out times, but without feeling like a zombie the next day.
Good luck and hang in there!!!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Nan

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »

Well..........yesterday I celebrated THREE MONTHS of my new kidney!  I had an appointment with my neph at the transplant center and I got wonderful, happy, exciting news.  I am now at the lowest on prednisone, gengraf is the same and so is cellcept.  I do STILL have my drainage tube in....yikes...they even had to pull the three month old one out last monday because it was soooooooo old!  I am still draining about 100 a day.....it will be so nice to just JUMP into the shower without all the press and seal and tape!  Swelling is still a problem,  I can only wear one pair of my shoes and my chipmunk cheeks.....are way too funny.....but.....EVERYBODY says...I have the BEST coloring.  I guess I was pretty gray and yellow before the surgery, I kinda avoided mirrors!  My brain still goes 150 miles an hour....my body tires out after about 1 block,  I am still anemic and I am getting weekly shots of iron.  All and all, I am still taking some baby steps, my body was not in very good shape before the surgery, I was sleeping like 16 hours a day, now I do everything to avoid naps,  I feel like I slept way too much before hand.  I just found out from the doctor, that my live donor was a 5 mismatch.....and that explains why I was on such high doses of meds after the surgery.  They had never told me the number before....I had asked, and was never given an answer,  I guess ...now....I am glad I did not know. There has been plenty of little hills to climb, but I AM going forward.  I do not get on the computer as much as I used to, but it always feels so good to check in on every body....I swear I will try to keep in better touch.

No matter how your heart is grieving....as long as you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true!
Diagnosed with PKD in 1994
Started HEMO dialysis June 2006
Started Home Dialysis on cycler February 2007
Had Live donor transplant February 2008
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »

It is nice to hear you are doing good.  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »

Please do check in, it's lovely to hear how well you are doing.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 04:23:49 AM »

Nan I'm so glad things are going in the right direction. Success is sweet.  :grouphug;
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 04:40:36 AM »

Nan I'm so glad everything is going so good for you. :clap;

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 06:30:20 AM »

Great news.  Girl, you just keep on keeping on!!  :cuddle;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »

:clap; :clap; :clap;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
lamillinger913

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »

Congratulations, Nan! Keep it up!  :yahoo;

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »