I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  The Beard
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beard  (Read 4950 times)
George Jung

« on: September 28, 2007, 09:39:24 PM »

The Beard

If you've checked out the recent topic "My Lovely Dinner with George" then you have seen a picture of me with a beard ( http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5070.0 ).  Well the beard has a little story with a big purpose. and the story goes like this. 

When my kidneys suddenly failed I was struck with severe depression and I had no reason to keep up with my appearance so I stopped shaving for months and months until one day I just kinda woke up with this beard.  Coming out of the depression I started to think that the beard is who I had become so I decided to keep it for a little while.  When I began venturing out in public the beard would draw lost of looks and attention but it was okay because I felt as if I could hide behind it.  Well, several weeks ago when I decided to go all out for a kidney and to do my part to raise awareness I had a thought about the beard, a thought that I could use it in a positive way with all of the attention that it got.  I realized that the beard was a conversation piece as random people would comment and ask about it, ask how long it took to grow, how long I was planning on keeping it and such.  I had come to the conclusion that I would let the beard open conversation which would allow me to talk about my need for a kidney.  For example, I was in Borders book store last week and an employee there asked if I would mind telling her why I had the beard.  I replied that I would not mind at all and it is actually my intention to use it to start an otherwise improbable conversation.  She thought it was a "very sad but wonderful story."

I explain that the beard represents the changes I have gone through and the time I have lost in my life, it is symbolic of this time in my life.  I tell people that when I get a transplant I plan to take the beard off and resume my life as it were before being struck with this condition but in the mean time the beard stays to keep measure of my journey and to generate conversation, giving me opportunity to talk to people about the need for organ donation. 

If I didn't have the beard now people would pass by me and never think twice about talking to a stranger but having the beard is somewhat unusual and it strikes curiosity.  It is my little story with a big purpose.  - George
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:59:28 PM »

George,  I must admit, I have noticed a change in you recently and it is so awesome and very inspiring.  It was like one minute you were angry at the world for how your life had turned now it seems to me that you are embracing it, and by you embracing it, your not only making a difference in your life but your going to make a huge difference on so many peoples lives (and they dont even know it yet)  You Go George... Dont let nothing stop you, I applaud everything you have done and everything your about to do.   :clap;  Isnt it funny how we find our calling in life?  I am sure you will get your kidney soon my friend, have faith and keep up the great work.... Love to you always  :cuddle;  Susie

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:01:57 PM »

I am sorry, i forgot to mention the beard,  I say KEEP IT and WORK IT my friend ;) ;)   I think it looks great on you  :2thumbsup;  (especially now that i know the reason you have it)  absolutely gorgeous  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »

:thumbup;

:)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:40:29 PM »

i like it- its a bit sexy!! Maybe you will get some extra attention from the ladies- which can't hurt the disposition!! 

But seriously- you make me want to be... nicer... because you are.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 03:39:19 AM »

reminds me of Forrest Gump  :rofl;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 05:05:08 AM »

I think it is awesome. The story behind it is so great.  :)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 07:53:14 AM »

George, your true spirit shines!  I am fortunate to beable to get to know you in person, and those deep brown eyes speak volumes!!  I like what Glitter said--you do make people want to be nicer.  I am proud to call you "friend".   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 02:21:46 PM »

:thumbup;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 02:44:49 PM »

You look just like my uncle (only younger)!  8)  Seriously though, that's a great story and I admire you for it.   :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
brenda

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 09:38:54 PM »

That's an awesome story George. I know I poked fun at you before about it. In all honesty I think to looks great! And I think it suits you.  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:47:37 PM by brenda » Logged

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
George Jung

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 11:23:31 PM »

That's an awesome story George. I know I poked fun at you before about it. In all honesty I think to looks great! And I think it suits you.  :)

Honestly Bren, I want it off of my face.  It gets in my mouth when I eat and my mustache gets wet when I drink from a glass.  There are a few ladies that like it but the majority probably would rather a clean face to look at, just ask Amanda what she thinks.  I am single and even though I'm not sure how I would handle companionship it most likely would be much easier to achieve with my smooth face.  However, like my story goes, it is serving a bigger purpose and I am choosing to embrace the beard and forgo certain social standards.  It draws attention to an otherwise very "normal" looking person and I want lots of attention.  I begin testing to be listed this Wed and I plan on letting the team know that it is our goal to get this off of my face.  Who else wants to see me shaved?  If you like this story please share it with whom ever you'd like.

Side note - I have not cut my hair either and if it gets long enough I plan on donating it to "Locks of Love."
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 02:28:22 AM »

:yahoo;

I have tears in my eyes. You wanting to donate your hair is so sweet.
keefer51

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 02:48:06 AM »

Beard looks great George. I have a new lady in my life who likes hair so i grew a beard. Mine because of age is all Grey. So in the winter i am sure i will get calls to be Santa at some mall. My hair is long now close to the pic i have on this site. I try and trim my beard now because when it was longer some of my family said i looked like Charlie Manson! I was at a party a few weeks ago and a little girl was so scared of me everytime she saw me she cried. That really broke my heart. If i let my beard grow as long as yours i think i would look like Santa. I now have the jolly Ole belly too.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 04:49:08 AM »

Awesome story, George, great way to bring attention to an important issue!

BTW, has anyone told you you look like Jim Carrey?  ;D

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 04:50:51 AM »

I think the beard looks good on ya George.  :thumbup;
Rose From OZ

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 05:05:16 AM »

The story behind it is great George, I think the beard looks great.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 06:07:59 AM »

Keep it! Your motivation for it is great!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 07:41:18 AM »

George, i loved your story. And i agree with the rest the beard looks great on you.......

.........but it would itch like crazy for a lady to kiss ya!  ;) :lol;
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 09:36:16 AM »

i think the reason for the beard is a brilliant idea, good for you.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
George Jung

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 10:16:59 AM »

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement.  You would be suprised how effective it has been, I am.  I think everyone who sees it wants to say something about it and while most are to apprhensive for one reason or another some just can't help themselves.  There have been several conversations a week and most people are receptive to listen even when they are suprised about the topic.  I was at the bar (working) the other day talking to a cutomer who asked about it and his comment was that he probably needs a liver transplant.  I don't think he knew what else to say, but hey, he asked about it so I told him.  I am still figuring out how to "work it" and am hoping to boost the effectiveness but there is no doubt of the potential.   

Amanda, wanna  :-* me!   
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »

That was a great idea George!
Really creative.
Best wishes on your evaluation, getting listed and getting a kidney.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
George Jung

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 12:11:33 PM »

Yes folks.....I do have my moments of brilliance.  ;D  The creativity I like to think has always been a part of me, my favorite canvas is in the kitchen.  Kindness,....... well,........ underneath it all (  :secret; )  a big heart, generous, loving and kind.  We are not perfect but we can practice in hopes of being close.

Many thanks to all of you for the kind words.  -George
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 03:35:14 AM »

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement.  You would be suprised how effective it has been, I am.  I think everyone who sees it wants to say something about it and while most are to apprhensive for one reason or another some just can't help themselves.  There have been several conversations a week and most people are receptive to listen even when they are suprised about the topic.  I was at the bar (working) the other day talking to a cutomer who asked about it and his comment was that he probably needs a liver transplant.  I don't think he knew what else to say, but hey, he asked about it so I told him.  I am still figuring out how to "work it" and am hoping to boost the effectiveness but there is no doubt of the potential.   

Amanda, wanna  :-* me!   

George are you offering? ........ I know a few of the other ladies might get jealous because they want you for themselves...... (not mentioning any names)  ;) >:D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »