I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I need your input! Question about FATIGUE on dialysis days
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need your input! Question about FATIGUE on dialysis days  (Read 4061 times)
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« on: August 26, 2007, 01:19:58 PM »

I do nocturnal dialysis so i dialyize Monday,Wednesday , and Friday nights.. The thing is I am so exhausted and irritable on Tuesday, Thursday,and Saturday( Basically the days that I have just got off the machine. But on Monday, wed, Friday, and Sunday and Monday I feel great. But im in college and I would like to be able to go to school on tuesday and thursdays. Is there anything out there that can help my energy levels besides EPO. My blood counts are fine and my protein is fine. DO you all feel the same after your treatments? I mean this feeling lasts all day after i get off teh machine. So let me know if you have any advice thanks.....
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:35:37 PM »

Your symptoms could be due to hypovolemia from having had too much fluid removed during dialysis.  Make sure your dry weight is accurately determined.  When you say that your blood count is fine, do you mean that it is 'fine' by dialysis patient standards or normal human standards?  Because EPO can only be safely used to bring most dialysis patients up to a level which is, by normal standards, severely anemic, nephrologists will tell you your blood count is fine when it is in fact dreadful in terms of what your body needs for normal, energetic functioning.  Normal male hemogloblin is around 140 to 170, while dialysis patients have a level around 110 to 120, so they are always exhausted compared to healthy folk.
George Jung

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »

Neo -

I am not on nocturnal but I do hemo 3 days a week and feel exactly as you described after my treatments.  I have to sleep it off for a number of hours and have something to eat and drink in order to feel decent.  I have found that being active when I am able to do so helps with the times I am not.  I still feel the same to an extent but the duration of that feeling is not so long.  When I feel good, I feel great (as of late).  Even with relatively good control of my gains in between treatments I still am pretty much worthless after a four hour session.

If you can do home treatments where you dialyze daily that would probably be a significant help, maybe PD also if that is an option.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:22:29 PM »

George said what I was going to say, so my advice is, what George said. :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:57:14 PM »

I had the same problem on in-center, 3 time a week.  I was wiped right out the rest of the day.  I'm on home hemo with a NxStage now, and don't get the fatigue at all.

If switching your form of dialysis isn't a practical option right now, can you switch to Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday in the meantime?  It would keep you from being wiped out on class days, at least.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 07:58:48 PM »

maybe your blood pressure is a little low?
brenda

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:45:58 PM »

Hi Neo, I just want to ask if you are doing nocturnal why only 3 night's a week? I am starting nocturnal training in a week and will be dialyzing 6 night a week. That is the standard here anyway. The idea of nocturnal (besides convenience) is to keep your body at a more steady level. This is supposed to help with the rollercoaster our bodies go through with just 3 days a week.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Neo

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:53:25 AM »

Well nocturnal over here is only 3 days a week but they run me 8 hours each time and they run the machine at only 250 blood flow so my clearance levels are much better than when I was on day dialysis 3 times a week..But yea its only 3 times a week I have no say in getting more days than that.To the other question my doc tries to keep my blood count around 14 but it is usually 12 to 13 so that might contribute to my fatigue i was just wondering if theres any vitamins or supplements or anything anyoine does to get some energy or am I just stuck.
Neo

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »

By the way I have a good amount of knowledge about my disease4 and im in school right now to become a physician assistant, so i do know about teh blood counts normal level but i just cant seem to put my finger on why i am so exhausted and then feel great a day later. Just frustrating. Im sure you all understand being frustrated..LoL
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 09:23:44 AM »

I do PD and can say its just as bad ..good days ..bad days .. i just think its all part of kidney failure ! I have days full of energy .. nothing changes, then the next day i dont want to get out of bed ! Sorry no magic answer !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 11:16:35 AM »

Jenna was in-center 3 days a week. Since she was still urinating she didn't have much fluid to take off, but the machine has a default program that automatically would take off more than she needed. If she didn't insist that they manually reset it - too much fluid would be taken and she would feel awful that whole day. I would have to give her gatorade and she would sleep for hours and hours. I hope you can get some answers and feel better soon!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
st789

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »

Yes, sleep and fatigued while on dialysis.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 02:50:07 PM »

May I direct you to this thread?
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=466.0

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Russ

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 11:22:22 AM »

I had the same problem on in-center, 3 time a week.  I was wiped right out the rest of the day.  I'm on home hemo with a NxStage now, and don't get the fatigue at all.

If switching your form of dialysis isn't a practical option right now, can you switch to Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday in the meantime?  It would keep you from being wiped out on class days, at least.

NxStage made all the difference for me too.  When I was in-center, I did nothing but sleep after treatment.  Now I'm doing 6 tx per week on NxStage and everything is on a much more even keel.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »

Neo do you go to a center for the noturnal or do you have a machine at home.  My husband does 5 nights a week at home and he has loads of energy. His hemoglobin is normally 120 -130 without any EPO.  If you are keeping yourself too dry it will make you tired and miserable too.  Do you slep well when you are hooked to the machine??

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
donnyecarr1

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 09:06:40 AM »

I do PD and can say its just as bad ..good days ..bad days .. i just think its all part of kidney failure ! I have days full of energy .. nothing changes, then the next day i dont want to get out of bed ! Sorry no magic answer !

My dad has been on PD for a month now, and he seems okay in the morning once he gets settled but is dragging by mid-afternoon sometimes throughout.  Do  you feel light-headed after PD?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 11:27:14 AM »

Does your dad do CCPD or CAPD?

I did CCPD... I was full of energy (90% more so than on hemo) for most of the day and tired by bedtime.. but depends what I did that day cause I got kids and sometimes they wore me out faster than other days.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
keefer51

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 02:37:32 PM »

Neo, when i was on dialysis the first time i worked. I don't know how i did it but i did. That was 14 years ago. I am now 52 and on hemo in center MWF. I changed to the early shift and at first i felt better afterwards. Now however i am back to feeling lousy. Not only do i have to deal with pain in my arm but i need to sleep little naps after the treatments. The next day i am better. My best day is Sunday. There is nothing i can think of to make me feel better. No matter how much fluid they take off i feel wasted.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »