I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Angela's got a kidney but can't get a theatre
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Angela's got a kidney but can't get a theatre  (Read 1701 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: September 08, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »

Saturday, 8 September 2007
stuff.co.nz

Angela's got a kidney but can't get a theatre

Unlike most of the 500 New Zealanders waiting for kidney transplants, Angela Murton already has a donor kidney - her husband, Peter's.

But because Wellington Hospital does only one live transplant a month, it will be at least six months before she gets her lifesaving operation.

Meanwhile, the Porirua mother-of-two, who has already had one transplant, faces the prospect of starting dialysis treatment from next month.

"It seems ridiculous because it would be so much cheaper to give me a transplant than to pay for dialysis," she said. "My quality of life - and my life expectancy - would be much better."

Mr Murton said waiting in limbo was frustrating. "Once she goes on dialysis we're stuck here."

He said it was particularly hard on their sons, Benjamin, 11, and Andrew, 8, because their mother was constantly "tired and grumpy".

Capital and Coast District Health Board's group manager of surgery, Chris Lowry, said the board was working to address the problem. "Money isn't the issue here ... the limiting factor is access to theatre space."

A live donor transplant requires the use of two surgical teams and takes up an operating theatre for the entire day.

This year, the board explored the possibility of using space at Canterbury or Auckland hospitals but unfortunately they were in a similar position. But a new theatre under construction at Kenepuru would increase overall surgical capacity and it was hoped to increase live donor transplants to two a month.

"We anticipate being in a position to confirm an implementation date for this in the new year."

The Kidney Foundation's medical adviser, Kelvin Lynn, said live organ transplants should be coordinated and funded nationally. "Everyone wants to see more live transplants - but health boards already struggle to meet demand for elective surgery."

Transplants were "substantially cheaper in the long run" than dialysis, which costs between $20,000 and $35,000 a year.

"It's not often in the health system that you save money by spending it."

Last year, there were 45 live transplants nationwide, compared with just 28 from deceased donors.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominionpost/4194012a23918.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:21:12 PM »

What the ???  :banghead;  I dont understand how some of these people think!!   :banghead; Probably never will either  :oops;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Roxy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 02:51:09 PM »

So the transplants are in an actual theatre or is it something else that i don't get???? Then why doesn't the hospital just have their own theatre? Then they make more money off doing more transplants and then THEY can rent out the theatre to other hospitals and make more money that way too. And these people can finally get their kidneys!!! :banghead;
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 03:42:14 PM by Roxy » Logged
Redbomb

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »

So the transplants are in an actual theatre or is it something else that i don't get???? Then why doesn't the hospital just have their own theatre? Then they make more money off doing more transplants and then THEY can rent out the theatre to other hospitals and make more money that way too. And these people can finally get their kidneys!!! :banghead;

I think thats what they call their operating rooms -- Theaters.  I know that I've heard that term used before, but it was in conjunction with two (or sometimes more) Operating Rooms that are interconnected somehow.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:44:28 PM by Redbomb » Logged
Roxy

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 04:23:30 PM »

Ohhh okay. Thanks! I just don't understand why they wouldnt build more though if it's going to be used often enough it would seem like a common sense thing to do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »