I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  oh crap, we think his fistula is going ....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: oh crap, we think his fistula is going ....  (Read 5203 times)
poohkari

Wade and I.

« on: September 07, 2007, 08:08:28 PM »

:thumbdown; :thumbdown; :thumbdown; :thumbdown; :thumbdown;

BOOOOOOOOOO!

So it is Friday night, 11 PM. Wade and I are sitting on the couch and he just said "I can't feel my fistula". We both couldn't feel it, and then it came back, very faintly. Now it dissapeared again. His blood pressure is 100/58, really low for him (hes usually 150/90). Could the weak/missing thrill be related to the low blood pressure? Or should we pack up and head to the ER?

I want him to page his on call nurse. He doesn't want to do anything! What do you think?

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:12:01 PM »

You should call the nurse. Also, do you happen to have or know anyone who may have a stethoscope? You can use it to listen to the fistula. Are you feeling for a pulse of it or just the buzz? If you can feel the pulse, it may be worthwhile to eat a salty pickle or a bit of broth to quickly raise his blood pressure. Prayers for you that it is still working.

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »

Thanks, MRHECHT!

He's on the phone with the nurse right now, thankfully I can hear he got his nurse who trained him on NxStage, who knows him really well. We feel a pulse, its strong, its just that his BP is really low! I should know better soon.

And, pickles - what good dialysis patient has pickles at their house?!?

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 08:17:01 PM »

Others have said on the board to call the surgeon immediately and let them know so it can be resolved and he can continue his treatments, dont wait too long, remember, they are the ones getting paid the big bucks to be on call, call them and help them earn their money  ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 08:18:03 PM »

Dang I hope it keeps working.  :grouphug;
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »

His nurse, who is amazing (and super pregnant so we don't want to keep her up late!) has instructed Wade to give himself some saline and then call her back. Thank god for NxStage - otherwise we wouldn't have saline, or a blood pressure cuff at our house! She thinks that as long as we feel a strong pulse, and he's not having any "tinglies" in his fingers, it's most likely a blood pressure issue. Plus, he's been on NxStage for almost a month, and his BP's have gone down significanty, with no change in his rx's. I will keep you all posted ...

mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:40:23 PM »

Thanks, MRHECHT!

He's on the phone with the nurse right now, thankfully I can hear he got his nurse who trained him on NxStage, who knows him really well. We feel a pulse, its strong, its just that his BP is really low! I should know better soon.

Awesome! Now here's some more tips for you....if you guys are not monitoring his blood pressure at home, you need to. The number ONE cause of access clotting is blood pressure getting too low. Get a digital cuff and take the BP; if he's on blood pressure meds, don't just take the meds if the blood pressure is low, especially post dialysis.

Do you know why his BP went so low? Too much fluid pulled off?

And as for the pickles...yep keep 'em around. When my BP gets too low, its picles or pickle juice or some broth. I like the pickles 'cause they taste better. If you prefer broth (or bouillion) start with a SMALL amount, then take BP after 15 minutes. Too much broth and he'll be thirsty. See the following additional tips:

Don't wrap tape all the way around the arm at the clinic
Don't use clamps
Don't sleep on that arm or keep it bent....you may need to modify your sleep position...it can be done

If the access does clot get in touch with the surgeon yourself if its during office hours.

So happy for you that its still working. Now let him have some salt! Just a little......

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007

mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »

His nurse, who is amazing (and super pregnant so we don't want to keep her up late!) has instructed Wade to give himself some saline and then call her back. Thank god for NxStage - otherwise we wouldn't have saline, or a blood pressure cuff at our house! She thinks that as long as we feel a strong pulse, and he's not having any "tinglies" in his fingers, it's most likely a blood pressure issue. Plus, he's been on NxStage for almost a month, and his BP's have gone down significanty, with no change in his rx's. I will keep you all posted ...

Ok I feel dumb...didn't know you were at home...that's great! So ignore what I said about "them" at the clinic and don't do any of that bad stuff with tape yourselves!!!!

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 08:55:52 PM »

And make sure he exercises his fistula.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:50:31 PM »

I hope you have it sorted and it was just due to Wades blood pressure.   :cuddle;

Me  ;D  I love pickles  :P

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 03:53:52 AM »

I hope you have it sorted and it was just due to Wades blood pressure.   :cuddle;

me too  :D

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
keefer51

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 06:07:42 AM »

I'm with Zach exercise the arm. I keep crushed pretzels around. I take a small bag to dialysis in case of really low pressure. I had two in my right arm that the "Thrill was gone..." So i got a new surgeon who fixed me up with one heck of a fistula. I hope it gets better for you. How is your husband feeling? I am sure this may not be asked enough, how are you doing??

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Redbomb

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 09:36:56 AM »

Hopefully by now the situation is resolved, but I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts & prayers are with you.  It's no fun to have a fistula that isn't working.  I had mine created 3 years ago, and now that it is time to use it, they can't!  So i had to have a cath put in until the fistula gets "rested" enough so they can do a fistulagram on it on Thursday! 

and please, let us know the outcome!
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 10:09:45 AM »

... he's been on NxStage for almost a month, and his BP's have gone down significantly, with no change in his rx's.  ...

Most likely the cause of the problem is that inattention to his BP meds.  >:( >:(  They should have already been adjusted!  If that happened to Mike I would cut his BP meds in half until Monday.  I hope by now he is fine and his fistula is buzzing well.  Please keep us posted.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »

me too  :D

Guilty here too your honor  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Roxy

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 12:14:13 AM »

After reading this thread, I just bought a jar of pickles and I can't get it open   :banghead;  oh well...anyway, how's Wade's fistula?
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:19:46 AM »

Kari, Time for an update.... How is Wades fistula going?    :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 12:39:28 PM »

He's going in tomorrow afternoon to do that baloon thing. Ugh! We've heard it's really bad - however, if he asks, they can put him under, right?

George Jung

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 01:09:23 PM »

Good luck Wade.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »

He's going in tomorrow afternoon to do that baloon thing. Ugh! We've heard it's really bad - however, if he asks, they can put him under, right?

Here's more info http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4287.0.
and here's Rerun's recent experience http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4755.0

Good luck!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »

Thanks s much Karol, that was a really good description! We needed that - we were freaking ourselves out!

mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »

Hi there! May I ask why they are doing the balloon procedure. Wasn't this episode due to low BP? Did it actually stop working? Please remind the person doing the procedure that this is a very new fistula and quite fragile. (I'm assuming it's new as you guys just got started, right?)

I've had this done several times, with and without sedation. I had to drive myself more than once, so no "joy juice" allowed. When you do it without sedation, they put a local in for the puncture. There is a kind of burning sensation when they blow the balloon up, but its not that bad. Of course, a little pharmaceutical help is always nice if you have someone else driving!

You can watch the procedure on the monitor which I like to do as it shows you where they're at and where the problem is. They will punture the fistula and inject a dye. They take an x-ray which shows them the progress of the dye and based on that determine where to inflate the balloon.

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007

poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 05:20:05 AM »

We thought it was from his blood pressure, but theres no buzz at all now and his BP is up.... so after speaking with his surgeon, we're going in today assuming he needs the balloon thing but we're open for suprises!

I'll let everyone know what happens later on - his appointment is at 1, so i'm trying to rush into work for a few hours.

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 05:43:36 AM »

All the best Wade

Ken
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 04:07:50 PM »

It never ends!

So, Wade went in today, and his fistula was collapsed. They poked and prodded and managed to get it open, and Friday we have to go back bright n' early and they are going to try to get the arterial flow restored. If they can't, weve decided Wade will stay with his permacath. If everything goes well (which it has been with the apherisis and chemo), he will be able to get on a transplant list pretty soon. It's just not worth the additional stress/pain/frustration to get him a working fistula, especially since his doctor feels really good about getting Wade a transplant ASAP.

So, another day, another headache, another bump in the road.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »