I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:43:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  OK people I need your help....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OK people I need your help....  (Read 5551 times)
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« on: September 06, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »

hello my IHD family I have bad news given to me today... my Nephro called and said that i have to have my parathyroids (sp?) removed ASAP, me being as naive as i am, said duh ok doc! but somehow i feel uneasy about a surgery and removal of glands... i fear I'm not going to make it out of the or this time around, don't ask me why but i have this weird feeling all over me. So here's a couple of questions: Have any  of you have had the parathyroids removed?? if so, how did you faired the surgery? what did they do to you? have you heard of laser surgery for the removal? well that's all i can think of right now, so i know you guys won't fail me, I'm eagerly awaiting for your answers

Rolando   :grouphug; :thx;

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 02:59:41 PM »

parathyroid are 4 small pea shaped glands that basically sit at each "corner" of the thyroid. they control calcium. when they misbehave they leach calcium from your teeth and bones. parathyroid is the pth in your blood work. they can remove up to 3 3/4 of them. the surgery isn't bad, the only problem being the glands are not anchored, but float. sometimes they float away from where they are supposed to be.  you really don't have anything to worry about though. have you been to see an endocrinologist. if you haven't say "oh gee doc, not until" get confirmation before you say yes. let us know what happens.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 03:06:55 PM »

Awwww Ro, your gonna be ok amigo, i know there are several members on the site that has had this procedure done,  i am sure you will get plenty of replies that will ease your mind about the whole process, i am sorry i couldnt tell you anything other than give you words of encouragement and reassure you that i (we) are here for you always ;)   Take care and keep us update ok  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 06:01:31 PM »

hello my IHD family I have bad news given to me today... my Nephro called and said that i have to have my parathyroids (sp?) removed ASAP, me being as naive as i am, said duh ok doc! but somehow i feel uneasy about a surgery and removal of glands... i fear I'm not going to make it out of the or this time around, don't ask me why but i have this weird feeling all over me. So here's a couple of questions: Have any  of you have had the parathyroids removed?? if so, how did you faired the surgery? what did they do to you? have you heard of laser surgery for the removal? well that's all i can think of right now, so i know you guys won't fail me, I'm eagerly awaiting for your answers

Rolando   :grouphug; :thx;

I've never had them removed but I'm sendind you some good thoughts and prayers.

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:10:48 PM »

I had mine removed.. the surgery was easier than I had been told and thought.I was able to even eat and everything later that day even though they sliced my throat open. I posted it about it somewhere on here, I think in my transplant thread. I had to go in twice... the first time they thought they got them all out, but after my PTH was still high after they realized they had to go back in and get 1 more.. they did that a few days later.. again, was no huge deal, I was nervous of hitting my vocal cords but my surgeon is the best in the city and has done the most of these and never had 1 accident. I also had my thyroid on that side removed as well b/c they saw ancer on it while they were in there, so yay for that. I will be praying for you.  :grouphug;

I take no meds.. I took tums for a few weeks then stopped.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:18:15 PM by angela515 » Logged

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Beth36

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:16:09 PM »

My mom had her parathyroid removed several years ago and had her thyroid removed last summer....the parathyroid removal wasn't too bad.  I think she was in the hospital overnight, maybe 2 days at most.  For the thyroid, she was in the hospital maybe 2 days as well.  All she had was a little sore throat but other than that, she was fine.  She has to take Synthroid now but no other issues....good luck!  Surgery is a scary thing to contemplate but I hope it all works out well and you are feeling well soon! 

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
highlite36

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:22:26 PM »

I had a subtotal parathyroidectomy.....  It really isn't that bad.....  In comparison to all the other surgeries that you will endure as a renal patient, this one is frosting on the cake......  They were even willing to do it to me, a heart failure patient.  The only thing that you'll have to worry about is the severe hypocalcemia that will follow the surgery.  For weeks on end afterwards, I was in and out of the hospital because my calcium was consistently plummeting....but you'll learn what works for you and what you can do to make it all better......  I have to say that my pth levels are SUPERB since I had most of them removed.....  I hope it works out well for you!!!!  :-)

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 07:40:30 PM »

I hope all goes well.   :grouphug;
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:26:21 PM »

have they put you on sensipar yet? my doctors are trying that before removing the glands
brenda

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »

Fluffy is right Ro. If I had know about Sensipar and had access to it before they removed my parathyroids, I'd have tried the Sensipar first. As it is I still have one they can't find and are on Sensipar anyway. Make sure you check all you options. The surgery itself isn't bad, I didn't think. The thought of "Hungry Bone" syndrome didn't exactly thrill me. But being I still have one I didn't get that. Good luck Ro, let us know what you find out.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:40:31 PM »

Sensipar don't help everyone... although we don't know if Ro has tried it yet, I just wanted to throw that out there. I was on it, and still had to have mine removed after my transplant... which is wierd because they figured the transplant would help them go back to normal when it normalized everything else in my body.  :twocents;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 08:47:15 PM »

I am very interested too. My parathyroids are misbehaving as well. It is great to have all of you to turn to for advice.  :)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 09:43:46 PM »

I had the parathyroid surgery last October.  Sor ehtroat and hard to swallow after it. Easy recovery though.  Go look for my story it is on the boards somewhere.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »

Here you go, a pic from my files.  You'll be fine, Ro!
 8)

Just make sure they keep checking your calcium levels after the surgery.  Many people (not all) have a significant lowering of serum calcium following the surgery, caused by "Hungry Bone Syndrome," as mentioned previously.  May sound awful, but it it means your bones are once again absorbing calcium instead of leaching calcium.

When I had mine done, the pain in my heels went away.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:00:20 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 11:28:16 PM »

Good luck Rolando, you are in thoughts and prayer  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 11:45:22 PM »

I'm due to have it done too soon as my PTH shot up from like 16 to 45..... (I think that's 450 in the US scale) and the doc is starting to worry about it because my Calcium is still > 2.5. Anyway I asked the doc about Sensipar and he basically said they only would use that on patients who weren't candidates for the parathyroidectomy... so sounds like here at least they prefer the op to the meds. While I'd prefer the meds I guess they have their reasons.. though I am not overly worried about the operation as it seems reasonably minor...

heck I might even get to do dialysis as an in patient in a bed and I might actually be able to SLEEP for once! LOL

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
keefer51

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 02:17:35 AM »

Sorry Ro i don't have the problem yet. I am glad Zach sent that pic. I see what and where they are. You'll be ok buddy. It's hard to keep a good man down! :beer1;

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 05:31:17 AM »

(alene writing) Rolando has been on Sensipar for about three months. At first, it brought his ipth down from 1000 to 750. It also dropped his calcium. Then, it went back up to 1000. Now it is back down to 850. But, his calcium has been steadily dropping and is now at 7.0. They will not give him supplemental calcium for fear of triggering another bout of calciphylaxis. Also, we are agressively using Renagel but cannot get his phospohrus below 6.0 (we used to have great phosphorus control). So, it appears that Rolando is headed for a parathyroidectomy.

Question - Clearly this will plummet the ipth, stopping it from getting calcium from the bones (good). Does this make the serum calcium plummet even lower?

Question - What is driving what? I thought I understood - High Phos triggers ipth production which pulls calcium from the bones. For what purpose - what does this high serum phospohorus/high serum calcium then do?

Question - Is his very high phosphorus (between 6 and 7) fighting the sensipar?

Question - Is the sensipar causing our inability to control the phosphorus level?

Important Question 1 - Is low calcium (and, in turn, supplementation) inevitable?
Important Question 2 - Is anyone familiar with the miniparathyroidectomy?

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 06:29:03 AM »

Wish I could help Ro but all I can do is keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery, if you do need to have the surgery done.

BobT1939

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 06:36:03 AM »

The board has given you very complete and accurate information re parathyroid surgery. I had two of my four parathyroid glands removed in April of 2006. The operation is a snap and I felt much better after they were taken out./bobt :2thumbsup;

BobT
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 06:47:07 AM »

Anyway I asked the doc about Sensipar and he basically said they only would use that on patients who weren't candidates for the parathyroidectomy... so sounds like here at least they prefer the op to the meds. While I'd prefer the meds I guess they have their reasons.

Sorry to say this, but it's called national medical care.

Question - Clearly this will plummet the ipth, stopping it from getting calcium from the bones (good). Does this make the serum calcium plummet even lower?
Question - What is driving what? I thought I understood - High Phos triggers ipth production which pulls calcium from the bones. For what purpose - what does this high serum phospohorus/high serum calcium then do?
Question - Is the sensipar causing our inability to control the phosphorus level?

Does this make the serum calcium plummet even lower?  Usually, but not in all cases.

What is driving what? I thought I understood - High Phos triggers ipth production which pulls calcium from the bones.  You are correct, and this is a balancing act.  The parathyroids have two sensors to decrease it's production of PTH--active Vit. D and Calcium--both of which can be problematic. Active Vit D is normally produced in the kidney, so we receive either Hectoral, the older Calcijex, and the newest Zemplar (all by IV).  Higher serum calcium can be a result (by increased gut absorption), so patients are switched from a calcium-based binder--PhosLo to Renagel. 

Sensipar (oral) works on the calcium sensors of the parathyroids to decrease PTH, and at the same time seems to reduce calcium absorption in the gut.

Question - Is his very high phosphorus (between 6 and 7) fighting the sensipar? Question - Is the sensipar causing our inability to control the phosphorus level? Not sure about either one. Probably not.

But Ro needs to find a way to eat foods lower in phosphorus--maybe even keep track in a food diary.  Does he still eat only one large meal a day?  How many Renagels?

Everyone's a little different, but I find that each 800 mg Renagel tablet only takes care of about 60-70 mg of phosphorus.  I take them just before I begin to eat.

I look at it like this:  One oz. of meat, chicken or fish=1 Renagel.  As an example, a three oz. (86 grams) breast of chicken has about 196 mg of phosphorus, so he needs about 3 Renagels.  Then there are the sides dishes, desserts and you get the picture.

Hopes this helps a little.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 07:43:39 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 07:37:34 AM »

(alene writing)

High PO4 causes the inbalance with calcium.  With low serum calcium and high PO4 it will cause calcium to be pulled out of the bones to supply the blood.   One of the hormones produced by the kidney is calcitriol. When in kidney failure calcitriol production decreases. This decrease in calcitriol results in a decrease in calcium absorption in the GI tract.  Which at the same time  the kidney no longer is effectively excreting  the PO4 which causes  serum PO4 levels to increase. This decreased calcium absorption and  increase in serum PO4 leads to hypocalcemia, which triggers an increased production of PTH to try to fix the problem.

Sensipar lowers both calcium and PO4 levels.

PO4 is controlled with diet and binders.  Most take in far more PO4 than they think they are taking in. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »