I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 07:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  First Fistula: need advice
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Fistula: need advice  (Read 2180 times)
mj

« on: September 05, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »

Hey guys.  Well I just found out my first fistula surgery is next Tuesday.  I was hoping that some of you could share with me some of the effects I'm going to see or experience from the surgery and my recuperation.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.  I hope you and your families are all well.

Mj
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:37:44 PM by mj » Logged
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 10:59:28 PM »

Mike's surgery was done outpatient and uneventful, and he had very little pain.  He had revision done about 9 months later because collateral veins had formed and that too was uneventful and almost painless.  (He started dialysis 7 weeks after the revision and was at 500 blood speed within three weeks after starting dialysis.)  Both times he resumed light activity in just a few days.  Try to get your prescription for pain meds filled BEFORE the surgery so you can take one on the way home, and you'll head off pain before it starts.

Mike has been very, very, lucky but we were very careful about everything to do with his fistula and changed surgeons twice because we did not like what the first two were wanting to do.  The third surgeon was by far the best and did a great job.

The best two things I found on-line about fistulas were

http://www.fistulafirst.org/

and 

http://www.kidney.org/patients/pdf/FFBI_PatientEducation.pdf

Be sure you have vein mapping done by Doppler ultrasound BEFORE surgery and insist on a doc that does many fistula surgeries.  Have your squeeze ball always handy, use it as much as possible, and ask when you can resume exercise after surgery.

Do your research, trust your instincts, and get used to wearing your watch on your dominant arm.  ;D

PS: Check out this article on access comparison at the bottom of the page and be sure your surgeon knows you will not settle for a graft when a fistula is possible.  http://www.kidney.org/patients/pdf/ff_wi05.pdf
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:15:46 PM by Black » Logged

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:55:04 AM »

I was very fortunate with mine, I had no pain at all after surgery and no real problems. Working fine after useing for 9 months. I'm sure it will be a piece of cake for you.  Good Luck

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
keefer51

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:24:34 AM »

Good to hear. I was very, very, afraid to get one. I hate needles and the pain they bring. I had two in my right arm that didn't take. Only had the "thrill" for about a week. After the surgery there is pain just like any surgery. Pain meds. help. You of course have to be careful of the site and squeeze the "ball" often. Avoid any heavy lifting. The fistula i use now is in my left arm and has been working great for two years now. Yes i still hate needles but i don't fear them anymore. The initial pain is taken care of by the "Emula" cream you can get with a script from the doc. Put it on at least an hour before dialysis and you should be OK. Good Luck my friend.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
mj

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 03:40:50 PM »

Thank you to all of you, this information is so helpful.  I appreciate you all taking the time to share with me.

Mj :thx;
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 04:57:45 PM »

MJ in the question section below this read my post "bad fistula what next" it talks about my first and second fistula procedures. Good luck all should be fine....Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »

avoid heavy lifting, but make sure to use the arm a little more every day, after my surgery i immobilized my arm with a sling and keeing it like that gave me a pinched nerve in my back, that hurt alot worse than the surgery
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 11:43:21 PM »

Take a couple of pillows for the car - you will want to keep the arm propped up on the drive home.  If it's a long drive, you might even want to get one of those chemical cold packs that you can activate on the way home.

When it starts itching and you can't scratch the healing scar, try scratching the opposite arm in the spot that itches.  Our brains are cross-wired in such a way that it can sometimes help.  You can even try putting the cold pack on the opposite side to temporarily distract from pain.  (Weird, I know, but don't knock it 'til you try it!)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 10:11:46 PM »

Make sure you squeeze that rubber ball  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »