I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Phone Rings between 2 AM & 3 AM?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phone Rings between 2 AM & 3 AM?  (Read 6612 times)
Black
Elite Member

« on: September 10, 2007, 12:42:07 AM »

Does anyone else have their phone ring once when the NxStage computer calls their System One Cycler?  It doesn't do it every night or else I'm sleeping through it on some nights.  Tonight it rang twice about 30 minutes apart.  Now it's pushing 4 AM and I'm finally going to try to get back to sleep.

I tried turning the ringer off a few times when I was really tired but I kept forgetting to turn it on again the next morning and was missing client calls.  Two nights our phone was not working and I slept very soundly because I knew it wasn't going to ring.  Now I can't turn it off because I have elderly parents with health problems and I never know when my sister is going to call.   Anyone else dealing with this?  How are you handling it?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
silverhead

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:04:54 AM »

NxStage techs told me that the cycler is set up to call them at 2AM east coast time on a daily basis, my complaint to him was that it ties up the line for at least 1/2 an hour,(I listened in on the first few times and it spends almost all that time doing nothing on-line) I complained that having the machine right next to where we "attempt" to sleep and the jewel box computer is running all the night (and day) and it's only purpose is to collect data and return it to NxStage daily, he said I could unplug the cycler nightly, but leave it plugged in at least 1 night per week and it would download its info at that time, has helped the sleep a lot not having that annoying fan running in our ears......
We are lucky enough that ours calls at 11PM our time, I wait for it to finish it's business and then unplug it for the night.
Have to add that they had to send me a new jewel box about a month ago, the original one was locking up my phone lines at various times of the day in a random pattern, they did a lot of on-line testing of the old one and finally exchanged for a new one, no more problems since....
Tom
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:08:48 AM by silverhead » Logged

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »

No Nxstage but the phone rang at 12:30AM with someone calling from where my wife works.  I've been so wanting to stop that for so long and this time I did with this:

"X is asleep"

"She is not on call"

"Do not call here again"

YES!
Redbomb

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »

What's this?  The NxStage has to be hooked up to a phone line?  What if you don't have a LandLine, but only use Cell phone?  Or, like me, you have to have your phone free because you have to be available 24/7 on days/nights when you are on call?

This is a down-side that I hadn't been informed of yet.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »

... like me, you have to have your phone free because you have to be available 24/7 on days/nights when you are on call?

On those days/nights you can unplug the NxStage.

I can see that may be a problem for some patients, but for us that would be a minor problem to overcome in order to get a NxStage.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
cev

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:17:31 PM »

Our phoned does not ring when NxStage accesses the machine - but what does happen is sometimes it is tied up for hours.  5-6 hours.  Don't know when it happens and we only findout when I can not call home after I get to work  :banghead;  NxStage tells us this doesn't well shouldn't happen and it should only be tied up 1-2 hours around 2am.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 09:14:11 PM »

Ours got hung up once, several months ago, but not since then.  I called them on my cell and they said to unplug the phone line for a few minutes and plug back in.  No problems since, just the ringing between 2 and 3 AM.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 09:37:39 AM »

We have been bad and never hooked ours up! :-[.  Does it make any difference?  What does it really do?

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 06:52:59 PM »

We have been bad and never hooked ours up! :-[.  Does it make any difference?  What does it really do?

It downloads the info from your NxStage computer to their main computer.  I seem to recall that they can troubleshoot and correct problems as well through the line, but can't recall where I heard that.  Anyone else know for sure?

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »

I think if it's not hooked up to a line, they will ask you to connect a data collector to the USB ports and send it back to them once in a while.  Mine's hooked up to the phone and I haven't had any problems with that part, but they did send me one of those thumb sized data ports when they sent the pureflow.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Gram2Twinz

Perfect Match

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 11:26:43 PM »

We haven't hooked up to the phone line yet, we've been home 3 weeks. No one has said anything to us about it. I'm wondering if I should "rock that boat". Phone rings in the middle of the night, ties up the phone line for hours. Maybe I'll just wait until sometells me it's necessary!  :-\

Husband diagnosed w/ 1 working kidney 1975 Mayo Clinic
A/V Fistula March 2004
Placed on transplant list July 2004
In center dialysis began July 2007
Home Hemo NxStage training began Nov. 2007
Rockford, IL Davita-Roxbury Center
1st patient trained for home hemo by this center
Transplant 6-5-08 Loyola@Chicago
kruep

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:22:39 AM »

You should hook it up at least once a week and let it call in.  This is how they down load data so they can see if there is a problem with the machine.  Eventually they are supposed to be able to do software updates via the line.
If you don't have a land line you can let your clinic know and NxStage will send you a memory stick to down load to and mail in once a month (at least once a month).
kruep
redz812

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 09:11:48 AM »

Hi All.

Is this thread about nocturnal dialysis. My hubby does at home dialysis here in Philadelphia and has been trying to get nocturnal for several months now but Franklin Dialysis Center keeps stalling. When I read this thread it seemed that you all must be doing nocturnal so I just wondered. I don't think he does anything about Nxstage checking his Purflow.....Thanks
kruep

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 09:12:08 PM »

Hi,
I know the manager of the Franklin unit James Salas.  He is on the HIT team that I was on.  They probably don't have things set up yet.  Franklin was going to be the pilot unit for NxStage nocturnal.  When I left DaVita in July we hadn't written the P&Ps for it yet.
I'll give James a call if you would like.
kruep
Redbomb

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »

I talked to my training nurse about this very thing this week.  She told me not to hook it up and If I ever had trouble with it they would ask me to look it up and upload the information to their Mainframe computers.  Alternately, once a month (or so), I'd hook up a thumb-drive to the USB Port and mail that in.

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 11:06:05 PM »

I don't know what they have changed but our phone has quit ringing!  I thought I was just finally sleeping through it, but lately I have had a few of those nights when I can't sleep and I just realized that the phone is not ringing between 2 and 3 AM.  :clap;

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »