I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Working While on Dialysis
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Working While on Dialysis  (Read 11107 times)
George Jung

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »

i would love to work, but.......and maybe it would be different if i had been working when i was diagnosed, but i was between jobs. the cost of dialysis makes it impossible. i'm on disability, and while you can work some and still keep it i would have to clear over $2,000 a month just to break even. because my income is less than $14k a year the state gives me "extra help" i qualify for Medicaid which pays approximately $1,000 a month in medical bills that medicare doesn't cover. they pay my prescription costs, another $1,600 a month. and they pay the premium costs on my medicare part b and d. NOPE! can't afford to work. i even had to call and complain about being billed $1.66 on an ekg, because if i had paid it and Medicaid found out they would say " oh! you have money, you don't need us!" aaaaaaaarrrrrrggggh!!!!!. even though i enjoy the time with my grandkids, all of you and especially my naps, i'd rather work, at least a little bit!!!!!

You know you can always volunteer.  Work is about more than money for a lot of people.  For some it can be a passion and others it can mean a purpose in life, it does not have to be about a dollar. 

livecam, I get this impression from your post that you probably make a nice salary.  Does your perspective hold true for....... lets say an hourly employee that may not have health benefits and all of the perks that a "corporate" type job may offer?  What if someone was a paycheck to paycheck person, will they be worse off financially when the transplant happens?  Many people are slaves to their possessions which creates a false "need" to maintain a certain income level.  Have you ever been camping my friend?

And more importantly how do you pay for transplant meds 36 months after the transplant?

I guess we need to sell the big house and fancy car, get rid of the I-Phone and make some adjustments.  Maybe start a fund and raise donations for this time in need. 

So, the answer here is pretty clear. If at all possible it makes sense to keep going to the salt mine while on dialysis. Not everyone can do it but many can. With some of the home hemo and PD options that are available it is easier now to be healthier on dialysis and to keep a patient's life intact.

There is no one right or wrong answer to this question.  Everyone is different with their own set of circumstances.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 08:45:15 AM »

You know you can always volunteer.  Work is about more than money for a lot of people.  For some it can be a passion and others it can mean a purpose in life, it does not have to be about a dollar. 

george - i crochet baby blankets for a maternity home. every baby deserves an extra grandma and a nice blanket.  the childrens hospital has a "hat tree" and i am thinking about adding hats to what i do. i am also considering doing tai chi again. the whole point is it's hard to live on less than $1,000 a month. if it wasn't for my daughter, i'd be living under a bridge. denver has some very nice ones that run along the platt river   :sarcasm;

EDITED: Fixed quote prompt - okarol/moderator
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 09:01:52 AM by okarol » Logged

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
George Jung

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 09:20:03 AM »

Gram,

I agree and understand that it is difficult to live on less than 1k a month.  It's a good thing we are not on this earth alone.  Just as you help keep you grandchildren warm, others will help  keep you warm too.  If we all help eachother.........

I hope you didn't take my last post as criticism, it wasn't meant to be.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 09:23:05 AM »

Gram,

I agree and understand that it is difficult to live on less than 1k a month.  It's a good thing we are not on this earth alone.  Just as you help keep you grandchildren warm, others will help  keep you warm too.  If we all help eachother.........

I hope you didn't take my last post as criticism, it wasn't meant to be.

nope, it's all good.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »