I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:36:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Using my av fistula on monday ....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using my av fistula on monday ....  (Read 2212 times)
karen547

« on: September 06, 2007, 08:18:51 AM »

I will be starting my fistula on monday. I am a little bit nervous since I've seen some pretty nasty things happen at my clinic to one patient in particular; he always is in pain and bleeds a lot! I'm going to be using both the cream and the spray so hopefully that will help. I am VERY excited to get the catheter out of my neck though :clap;
keefer51

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »

Don't be too afraid Karen. I am a 51 year old man and dreaded the whole thing. However, I have a fistula in my left arm in the crease of my arm. If the tech is good you will feel just about nothing. I use the cream about an hour or so before i go and it has worked out OK. I am the only patient in my center who has had a problem with pain. I don't bleed allot either. Once the needles are in you forget all about them. With me they started with just one needle and the other went to the catheter. After a couple of days they did used both needles. They try and find two spots on the fistula that are as far apart as possible. That way you get a good treatment. It has been a couple of years now and i am used to it. You'll be OK Karen.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 09:44:53 AM »

You will be fine, I am 55 and also worried the first time, but it turned out to be nothing. After 8 months now it doesn't even faze me. All will be ok.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:34:09 AM »

I am sure you will do just fine Karen, i know how scary it is but in time, you will get used to it  :thumbup;  Sending good thoughts your way  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:14:22 PM »

Best of luck to you. Just remember it always seems worse then it really is. You will be fine...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:12:36 PM »

Good luck on Monday. I could not stand the thought of being stuck 6 times a week, so I decided to give PD a try. I hope the cream and spray work and you feel no pain  :2thumbsup;

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
Redbomb

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:50:32 PM »

I will be starting my fistula on monday. I am a little bit nervous since I've seen some pretty nasty things happen at my clinic to one patient in particular; he always is in pain and bleeds a lot! I'm going to be using both the cream and the spray so hopefully that will help. I am VERY excited to get the catheter out of my neck though :clap;

Good Luck with that Fistula!  I know I'll be so glad to get this thing out of my neck.  I just hope my fistula hurries up and "gets well" so we can start using it! -- Sheesh, you'd think after 3  years it would be ready to go .. but NO.  I go and get a lazy fistula.  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »